Chamois Cream

Never thought I would be posting this sort of a topic on a public forum with regards to which Bum cream to use, but here goes.

Im participating in a 6 day charity ride from George to CPT in september, following parts of the original cape epic route. This is going to be my first time spending multiple days in the saddle so I wanted to make sure I dont get bogged doen with the unfortunate saddle sore issue.

Im asking for advise on what types/brands you guys are using that have experiencing on extended rides and races, and any other advise you would have in this regard.

Iv spent good money on quality bib shorts such as ASSOS and Craft so im sorted in that department hopefully.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assos chamois creme works best. You get what you pay for. If you can't afford it then use milking balm (the stuff they put on cow's teats) aka speensalf. Very cheap, a bit smelly, but 2nd best to Assos. Used it for yonks when I was poor :) Nothing in between is worth the money.

100 bucks for a big tube of baby bepanthem, works great buuuut.

Chamois cream wont stop saddle sores from forming....

You need a saddle that "gels" with your behind...each person is different. Hopefully you have that sorted

You need to have had a proper amount of time in the saddle to become "hardegat" on said saddle

And just to make sure, condition the skin around the sitbone contact patch with saddle...about the size of a 2 round coin...treat it with friar's balsam after every ride for about a month before said event.

One coat Bennet's baby bum cream

One coat Speensalf

Yus - that's luxury! Like shaving with Prep and foam...

Never thought I would be posting this sort of a topic on a public forum with regards to which Bum cream to use, but here goes.

Im participating in a 6 day charity ride from George to CPT in september, following parts of the original cape epic route. This is going to be my first time spending multiple days in the saddle so I wanted to make sure I dont get bogged doen with the unfortunate saddle sore issue.

Im asking for advise on what types/brands you guys are using that have experiencing on extended rides and races, and any other advise you would have in this regard.

Iv spent good money on quality bib shorts such as ASSOS and Craft so im sorted in that department hopefully.

I use Assos. Spread a fingertip-sized amount on the chamois in the strategic area before I ride and it helps a lot. It's more for preventing sores than anything else I think.

Bactraban is excellent for treating sores that do form, but I try not use it too often as it is an antibiotic.

Assos chamois creme works best. You get what you pay for. If you can't afford it then use milking balm (the stuff they put on cow's teats) aka speensalf. Very cheap, a bit smelly, but 2nd best to Assos. Used it for yonks when I was poor :) Nothing in between is worth the money.

joh, daai is nou fynbrag...

I have been told its more important to have an anti septic in the cream more than anything else.

Doctor gave me some betadine surgical scrub for after riding, now 100% no problem, had issues for 3 years, some times worse than others. R220 for a tub of 1l

100 bucks for a big tube of baby bepanthem, works great buuuut.

Chamois cream wont stop saddle sores from forming....

You need a saddle that "gels" with your behind...each person is different. Hopefully you have that sorted

You need to have had a proper amount of time in the saddle to become "hardegat" on said saddle

And just to make sure, condition the skin around the sitbone contact patch with saddle...about the size of a 2 round coin...treat it with friar's balsam after every ride for about a month before said event.

Thanks for unpacking that for us (jeez I sound like Escapee) :ph34r:

Thanks for unpacking that for us (jeez I sound like Escapee) :ph34r:

Been on the receiving end of saddle sores, chamois cream did tokol to prevent it...thought I would share my experience cause no self respecting guy should have to rip that dressing off his crack and nutsack whilst having a pretty nurse looking at his rusty sherrif's badge....

:whistling:

Can someone set up a poll, what percent of guys actually need/use creme? Maybe us gals are blessed, but I don't know one girl that uses this stuff?

Can someone set up a poll, what percent of guys actually need/use creme? Maybe us gals are blessed, but I don't know one girl that uses this stuff?

My Wife is a user.

Assos... and buy their skin repair cream too for after the days ride - got a freebie of that at the Epic this year, and it's great stuff. The other key thing to do on a multiday ride is to keep the area sterile - surgical spirits sprayed on to the area before applying bum cream, and after the post ride shower will definitely help.

Been on the receiving end of saddle sores, chamois cream did tokol to prevent it...thought I would share my experience cause no self respecting guy should have to rip that dressing off his crack and nutsack whilst having a pretty nurse looking at his rusty sherrif's badge....

:whistling:

I thought the nurse ripped it off............ :eek: waiting for you know who to contribute here

Archived