nitrogen and stans

Jaco-fiets

You can say that again. Truck rims are two-part affairs and it is quite common for them to separate upon inflation. Considering the high pressure these things require, it is a bomb in a workshop. Tyre workshops are supposed to inflate those tyres inside a cage of sorts. In the video I though the cage in the background was one and I wondered why he wasn't using it, until I noticed that it was a liquid container cage, not a tyre cage. People die from such accidents.

That oke must have kneed himself a moer of a shot in the chin when that thing separated.

And possibly needed to change his trousers before lunch.

Edited by droo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While filling up my bakkie this morning I noticed that they use nitrogen now instead of the normal air. Sometimes when I put new stan's in tires I take it there tot inflate quick. Reason for asking. Thanks guys!

Cheaper than buying a compressor sometimes...... TWT actually charge for it.....

They seem to have the little nitrogen boxes hooked up to airlines at allot of Engen garages now, no idea how they work but its free.

Will nitrogen leak faster or slower than air??

Slower. Or that is what I found with my car

You can say that again. Truck rims are two-part affairs and it is quite common for them to separate upon inflation. Considering the high pressure these things require, it is a bomb in a workshop. Tyre workshops are supposed to inflate those tyres inside a cage of sorts. In the video I though the cage in the background was one and I wondered why he wasn't using it, until I noticed that it was a liquid container cage, not a tyre cage. People die from such accidents.

At a certain bike shop (no names mentioned) there is a toilet right near the workshop, the 'mechanics' are known to place the wheel in there and close the door as far as they can before inflating the tubeless wheels 'remotely' ....... apparently one to many wheel 'explosions' and trying to remove Stans from eyebrows and hair!

They seem to have the little nitrogen boxes hooked up to airlines at allot of Engen garages now, no idea how they work but its free.

Should leak less, in theory nitrogen particle is larger and harder for it to pass through porous rubber. However if the bead or valve or some other form of large leak is present it won't make much difference.

At a certain bike shop (no names mentioned) there is a toilet right near the workshop, the 'mechanics' are known to place the wheel in there and close the door as far as they can before inflating the tubeless wheels 'remotely' ....... apparently one to many wheel 'explosions' and trying to remove Stans from eyebrows and hair!

Like so

post-7-0-91815600-1408080171_thumb.jpg

Get rid of stans..try ps2 tyre fluid..nothing could seal my continental x king tyres..struggled for around 2 weeks until i found this stuff..and at only R120 for 500ml..absolutely fantastic. If it can seal a conti it can seal anything.

Get rid of stans..try ps2 tyre fluid..nothing could seal my continental x king tyres..struggled for around 2 weeks until i found this stuff..and at only R120 for 500ml..absolutely fantastic. If it can seal a conti it can seal anything.

had a squizz at their website. sounds like pretty hardcore stuff... aramid fibers.. oooo.

but keen to give it a whirl.

Where do you get it from?

I bought it from big red barn..went for a ride there and saw it on the counter..thought to myself that I have spent so much on sealant and nothing worked, whats a R120..put it in and went for a ride..after my second ride the wheels sealed perfectly. And this stuff will not dry up like stans..

By that theory, if you never remove your tyre, and keep topping it up, you'll eventually tend towards have a very high concentration of nitrogen in your wheels anyway.

True story. Then you can sell it back to TWT when you change tyres...

Normal Bombs and Stans = Snot Balls

Only if you bomb like a tjop!

Keep the valve at 9, 12 or 3 o'clock and you wont have any snot balls.

But if you keep the valve at 6 o'clock, you are blowing that Co2 directly onto the snot boll forming sealant, tjop!

;)

Only if you bomb like a tjop!

Keep the valve at 9, 12 or 3 o'clock and you wont have any snot balls.

But if you keep the valve at 6 o'clock, you are blowing that Co2 directly onto the snot boll forming sealant, tjop!

;)

Hmmmm. The old "CO2 freezes Stan's into balls" myth all over again. It's a chemical reaction that causes the latex to crash from the solution, not a thermic reaction.