CycleOps SA and Tim Noakes Diet

When racing 24 hr events, I try to have +-1 500ml bottle per hour, and alternate 1 water, 1 electrolyte/carb drink. I also eat a few hard boiled eggs as well as peanut butter sandwhiches, biltong, oats etc so everthing has a balance.

Interestingly enough, when I raced as a junior (1998) I was told by my coach to "fat load" before a long race....it worked for me then....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When racing 24 hr events, I try to have +-1 500ml bottle per hour, and alternate 1 water, 1 electrolyte/carb drink. I also eat a few hard boiled eggs as well as peanut butter sandwhiches, biltong, oats etc so everthing has a balance.

Interestingly enough, when I raced as a junior (1998) I was told by my coach to "fat load" before a long race....it worked for me then....

Are you saying you drink 1.5l every hour? Wasn't there studies showing your body can only take up something like between 0.5 - 1l per hour and everything more pools in the gut and can actually cause problems (waterlogged)?

Are you saying you drink 1.5l every hour? Wasn't there studies showing your body can only take up something like between 0.5 - 1l per hour and everything more pools in the gut and can actually cause problems (waterlogged)?

Yip. Tim Noakes was "credited" with this groundbreaking observation so it must have been true.

Yip. Tim Noakes was "credited" with this groundbreaking observation so it must have been true.

You must spend a lot of time behind trees and bushes.

You're reading it wrong... +/- 1 x 500 ml bottle per hour

Yes thank you Cpt, it is 1 x 500ml per hour it is also dependent on heat etc. I read many years ago that when Chris Eatough (6 time world 24hr champ) started doing these events, he made the mistake of drinking too much carb/"energy" drink and his guts gave up accepting anymore intake...so solid proper food is always better than "supplements" and gels. Be it carbs or fats.

Also interestingly enough my grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 94 and she always ate the fatty piece of meat, ate all the cream off the cake and cooked everything with butter...she was hardly sick in the 30 odd years I knew her...

Yes thank you Cpt, it is 1 x 500ml per hour it is also dependent on heat etc. I read many years ago that when Chris Eatough (6 time world 24hr champ) started doing these events, he made the mistake of drinking too much carb/"energy" drink and his guts gave up accepting anymore intake...so solid proper food is always better than "supplements" and gels. Be it carbs or fats.

Also interestingly enough my grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 94 and she always ate the fatty piece of meat, ate all the cream off the cake and cooked everything with butter...she was hardly sick in the 30 odd years I knew her...

This is not correct, liquid is best when competing in endurance events.

I disagree, TDF/Pro tour riders eat solids on a 6 hour stage? I am talking from personal experience and what works best for me. Too much water and "juice" make me feel bloated...Also again comparing back to Chris Eatough (fanboy maybe... :ph34r: ) He would eat PBJ sandwiches (peanut butter and jelly/Jam) and slap chips, oats etc...

It comes down to if you train your body to work with solid foods on a long ride then you can process them, if you train your body to work better on drinks then that is what it will use and possibly reject solid foods.

I disagree, TDF/Pro tour riders eat solids on a 6 hour stage? I am talking from personal experience and what works best for me. Too much water and "juice" make me feel bloated...Also again comparing back to Chris Eatough (fanboy maybe... :ph34r: ) He would eat PBJ sandwiches (peanut butter and jelly/Jam) and slap chips, oats etc...

It comes down to if you train your body to work with solid foods on a long ride then you can process them, if you train your body to work better on drinks then that is what it will use and possibly reject solid foods.

Yes they eat solids - bite size sandwiches or even sushi. Also bars and gels. Check out whats in the musette. You're right, drinking too much can be a problem and eating on top of that will make it even worse.

I did not plan to add anything else, out of choice. I am not going to argue with someone that is not willing to concider options - and that i have long since realised about the LCHF people.

I have done more reading than you expect...

um..are you listening to yourself ? I help, WILL NOT CONCIDER OPTIONS - newsflash your my friend are that person. Remember all scientist and intellectuals once said the world was flat..didn't work out so good for them it turns out. Perhaps read more with an open mind so you open to opinions ?