Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Appreciated - just keep them for years too come just incase the organisers decide yesterday was the way forward! I am personally still not that apposed too it!

They just might consider it.

Less risk same financial reward. 

Why not?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just might consider it.

Less risk same financial reward. 

Why not?

Or more Financial reward

Now if they want to grow the event, they should focus on hosting the Expo at a world-class venue. Perhaps they will attract the major brands and encourage new exhibitors to come on-board. The "kerkbazaar" feel of the Good Hope Centre gives the Expo a decidedly 3rd world feel. 

Been saying it need to move to CTICC for years now - with 100 000 plus entries it would have too1

Been saying it need to move to CTICC for years now - with 100 000 plus entries it would have too1

Are you serious about the 100 000 entries?

Pray tell where they would park and how you would get them to all start in one day. Just a quick calc, the last person would leave the start at 6 at night.

Please apply a tad common sense.

Everyone wants to grow the sport so every idea should be discussed but bashing on about 100 000 does not do this.

Are you serious about the 100 000 entries?

Pray tell where they would park and how you would get them to all start in one day. Just a quick calc, the last person would leave the start at 6 at night.

Please apply a tad common sense.

Everyone wants to grow the sport so every idea should be discussed but bashing on about 100 000 does not do this.

Parking - how many people work in CT on a daily basis?

You right the last race of Pro’s may start at 18h00 to sets a fast time on the shooter route - we race for an hour plus a lap at Killarney ever wed - no problem! I would expect the last social riders to start by no later than 14h00 in the day.

Not sure how CT residence would cope - but possible short Cape Town Cycle tour route on Sunday and long Argus Cycle tour route on Saturday? A double day has been discussed for years

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/41/41f7cd7693029fd765f3b048accca5721cdea090083ae5779b51a63584f634a2.jpg

You right the last race of Pro’s may start at 18h00 to sets a fast time on the shooter route - we race for an hour plus a lap at Killarney ever wed - no problem! I would expect the last social riders to start by no later than 14h00 in the day.

Not sure how CT residence would cope - but possible short Cape Town Cycle tour route on Sunday and long Argus Cycle tour route on Saturday? A double day has been discussed for years

If 100 000 people took part the last social rider would start at 6pm. As it is now, they start 35 000 from 6-10, 4 hours. so you want to triple that amount, 70 000 would start by 2pm and the 100 000 person would start at 6pm.

As others have said, the 47km will not grow the sport.

To grow the sport you need regular events with 3000 - 10 000 people, not a once off 100 000.

You could arrange the 47km on Saturday with unlimited entries and let the CTCTT run 109km one on the Sunday.

It is to say the very least a terrible idea. What you are proposing makes prefect sense in solving the problem of accommodating more people. However it totally disregards the fact that it is the route that makes the experience and makes the Argus special. Trying to change the route because it is an easy solution to your problem is like cutting off you toes because your shoes are to small.

just to clarify, yesterday's 47 for most of us was about showing support to those involved and affected by the fires. The route was ok-ish, coming back and passing the start-line with people still loading up was a novelty for a mid fielder like me, racing through the city centre was fun, being stopped as we crossed over to Helen Suzman Drive was accepted as part of the package. 

The highlight for me was getting off my tandem with my stoker and shaking the guys and girls from VWS hands and looking them in the eye. They still smelt like smoke and their uniforms were still black from the work done the week preceding the event. I must admit that on any Argus-day I would have rode past them without batting an eyelid. 

It was special, but it was a once-off. 

Now if they want to grow the event, they should focus on hosting the Expo at a world-class venue. Perhaps they will attract the major brands and encourage new exhibitors to come on-board. The "kerkbazaar" feel of the Good Hope Centre gives the Expo a decidedly 3rd world feel. 

Kerkbazaar - Hahahahaha  :lol:  I agree completely - wasn't the CTICC empty last week?!

...But I am trying to liken the shortened event to a timed moon light mass type event...

I don't understand the point of being timed for a moon light mass type event? If you're not being competitive, or racing against time, then what's the point of being timed?

To grow the sport you need regular events with 3000 - 10 000 people, not a once off 100 000.

But this would require PPA re-investing their proceed from the Cycle tour back into road cycling - too at least maintain the events we had up till 2 years back - but they don’t!!! PPA seem to only want a few “Super Events!!!!” Think I have written enough on the PPA topic already.

But this would require PPA re-investing their proceed from the Cycle tour back into road cycling - too at least maintain the events we had up till 2 years back - but they don’t!!! PPA seem to only want a few “Super Events!!!!” Think I have written enough on the PPA topic already.

True, now by having 100 000 cyclists the PPA will receive 3 times the amount they are doing now.

What it requires is passionate people with time to stand for the PPA committee and be the voice of change thehubsa / us wants. The committee does not need a radio personality. It needs cyclists that are keen on growing cycling.

Personally I don't have time at the moment, already on committees that are taking my time.

Agree with your goal, just not your execution.

- I don't feel slamming any organization on the hub or wherever is helpful, especially if there are avenues to voice those opinions and take actions elsewhere.

Edit: Cause I felt like it

................. they should focus on hosting the Expo at a world-class venue. Perhaps they will attract the major brands and encourage new exhibitors to come on-board. The "kerkbazaar" feel of the Good Hope Centre gives the Expo a decidedly 3rd world feel. 

I heard from a little bird that this was the last year that the Expo would be at the Good Hope Centre. Also, that the City of Cape Town is planning to demolish it. (Read it as hearsay, perhaps someone closer to the City can confirm?) 

I don't know when it will be demolished or how the site will be re-developed. I also don't know where the Expo will be moved to, but the most logical venue must surely be the International Convention Centre.

Just FYI. Your simple arithmetic needs work. 1% of 35000 is NOT more than 3000. It's 350.

Several races (3, I can think of) were canned in the South Peninsula because the organizers could not get permission to run them over Ou Kaapse Weg. Over the past few years the roadworks along Muizenberg - Kalk Bay Main Road has caused the traffic on Ou Kaapse Weg to become much busier. This, as I understand it, was given as the reason. That is not the fault of the PPA or the organizers. Some of these were replaced with races out Durbanville or Stellenbosch way, but those areas can also only allow so many races before it becomes a problem logistically. A Rotary Club in the Southern Suburbs will also find it difficult to run a substitute race somewhere unfamiliar as all their volunteers live there. The current situation will hopefully improve when the roadworks are completed. Hopefully in another year.

Archived