Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Please could someone tell me why the idiots organising this event insist on combining VA, VB, VM and A group. Once again this year it was one massive crash fest!
I hate to say it, but the Argus is no longer a race but rather a fun-ride where the organisers try cram in as many entries as possible and racing is a mere afterthought.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please could someone tell me why the idiots organising this event insist on combining VA, VB, VM and A group. Once again this year it was one massive crash fest!

I hate to say it, but the Argus is no longer a race but rather a fun-ride where the organisers try cram in as many entries as possible and racing is a mere afterthought.

Don't say the EVO got scratched?!

(Concerned fan)

Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere else, but did the Argus-lite count as a normal seeding ride or was it too short?

Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere else, but did the Argus-lite count as a normal seeding ride or was it too short?

No.  Too short.  Same way the short Burger (44km) never counted as a seeding event.

No.  Too short.  Same way the short Burger (44km) never counted as a seeding event.

No reason it cannot count as a regular seeding event (with max 33% weighting) - for that, distance doesn't matter

As an official event with 100% weighting - don't know - but I expect if it does it will carry a massive penalty for the short distance and easy route - so will only be useful if you just want to be seeded ahead of non-seeded riders.

According to the cycle tour website relating to seedings/distance/difficulty/time adjustments, it would carry a massive penalty. That being said, it would be great if the CTCTT / David Bellairs at some point in the near future could clarify this point as it has already been stated that people's seedings would not be affected by the shortened 2015 CTCT route

As an aside, I rode up through Chappies today and feck me... you can't actually get a scale of the amount of ground that fire swallowed up. It's massive, you can't really comprehend it at first. 

I stopped so many times at areas that had obviously been defended due to infrastructure etc and tried to imagine what the firies were going through in that region. Dead set legends each and every one of them. 

As an aside, I rode up through Chappies today and feck me... you can't actually get a scale of the amount of ground that fire swallowed up. It's massive, you can't really comprehend it at first. 

I stopped so many times at areas that had obviously been defended due to infrastructure etc and tried to imagine what the firies were going through in that region. Dead set legends each and every one of them. 

.....and keep in mind that you probably only see one quarter of the total burnt area from that side. The rest is on the other side of the mountain. Scary stuff.

Also rode chappies this morning.... felt like i was on another planet... one that smells like ash and has no colour. I'm sure after the winter it will be getting some colour back again.

Still an awesome route to ride.

there was a crash in the Vets bunch??!! My decision vindicated to start at 8am then, make me feel so much better now.

Awesome race, thanks to everyone in CPT. Glad we decided to come down. Looked out for El Capitan near Trevato but did not see him. Would have made my day to see him with a beer in hand as promised. Was a bit early and still a bit dark though or was I just temporarily blinded due to a near fainted state? Proud of my son coming in 300th with an average speed of just over 40 kmh.

chaps, have to say that you have all set the bar on ride reports.

For every race (sphiiittt), that you do, - this is what is expected.....

Awesome race, thanks to everyone in CPT. Glad we decided to come down. Looked out for El Capitan near Trevato but did not see him. Would have made my day to see him with a beer in hand as promised. Was a bit early and still a bit dark though or was I just temporarily blinded due to a near fainted state? Proud of my son coming in 300th with an average speed of just over 40 kmh.

Sorry dude.. didn't make it there. Wiff was wasted so I took over for the morning and had some daddy time. Plus I forgot to buy beer!

i hate to say it but I told you so, that would've been a sub 3 on the traditional route.

Dude, I'm concerned about you. You sound like you have some problems man. What's really the reason for the constant complaining?

These are my observations..

Unlike you I don't need prozac and can handle reality..

And I'm not your wife so I don't have to fake anything

So just for you

I woke up at 6 had a shake and oats for breakfast.. Walked down to the start and joined my group.. Took things easy up. The first Hill and enjoyed Wynberg Hill... Etc etc

I had a great ride and had fun.. And will be there next year.. It was all fantastic and not a single problem was experienced at all [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Archived