Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

There was. You missed it two weeks ago.

Yes.

And that because I received no notification ( e mail /sms) nothing.

So that is my hole point ja.

Makes sence to send something like that. Specially as the opening date was changed about 3 times.

Boooooo to them

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame on you PPA

MIssed out on my entry for 2015

Would be my 11th one - and 4th sub 3....lol

Thought as I have done 10, there would be some kind of loyalty towards entries as in the past.

It really sucks.

Hierdie hele opset maak my naar!!!

Quickly, take one charity entry on an empty stomach, it'll help for the nausea! ;)

I am a noob here on the Hub but having completed the last 23 Argus soon to be called Cape Cycle Tours and being a member of the PPA for the same period please allow me a few comments.

I sometimes wonder if all the critics and moaners knows what it takes to organize an event of this magnitude. I got in early and yesterday I entered my youngest for his first Argus. How? Got in the queue and waited for three hours. Easy peasy. No hassles. And at the rate the entries were snapped up the entry fee is way too cheap.

Their systems work wonderfully well. To enter 30 000 people in seven hours! Unbelievable! Remember the hassle to enter 5000 people in the Sani2C? It took three days.

The Argus has got this magic that makes it an amazing event. Just enjoy it...

Disclaimer- no connection with any sponsor or PPA. As a matter of fact the Argus is the only road event I do

The next logical step, from a business point of view, is some sort of 'golden ticket' system. Like they have in Disneyland etc. You can buy a normal (and already expensive) ticket and que for hours at each ride or for an inflated price you can buy a Golden Ticket and they have a separate priority entrance so you can skip the ques.

Some concerts have advanced booking for people that have paid fan club membership. I guess it's all the same sort of thing really. Money talks, poor people walk ;-)

I think your PPA membership does this for you, amongst other benefits,

What is wrong with the PPA getting membership out of this? If it ends up just being a ride for PPA members then we all have to join. They are co-presenters (or something) after all. The charities should charge double- the price for dawdling and to benefit properly. About 35000 people got in - surely the system works. If you think this is tough - wait to by plane tickets by Monday.

Not only co-presenters. PPA are joint owners of the event together with Rotary of Claremont.

Quickly, take one charity entry on an empty stomach, it'll help for the nausea! ;)

Cool. But can I race "Racing Vets" with a charity entry?

Yes

What is the difference then between a charity entry and a normal entry if I can still race in racing vets with a charity entry?

Thought charity entries were for the non racers and and people riding only for fun only. No worry about time. Pulling some ice cream cars. PLEASE dont get me wrong, I have nothing againts it.

But for myself I still like to "race". Race against myself ...hahaha

What is the difference then between a charity entry and a normal entry if I can still race in racing vets with a charity entry?

Thought charity entries were for the non racers and and people riding only for fun only. No worry about time. Pulling some ice cream cars. PLEASE dont get me wrong, I have nothing againts it.

But for myself I still like to "race". Race against myself ...hahaha

If your seeding is earlier than the charity block starting time, you may start with your seeded block. If your normal seeding would have been later than your charity group start, then you still start with the charity block. It is one way of starting earlier if you have no seeding or a late seeding. (I know you will be near the front.) 

I think I had that last year. Charity started later than my own time, so I started in their shirt but at my time.

I had to see a client at 2 on Friday- unfortunately I couldn't cancel the meeting although I tried ^_^

Plan B was to ask- no instruct- all the ladies in my office (3 of them) to make sure I get an entry for me and my wife. So since early morning al 3 of them had the Cycle tour page open in the background. The one lady got thrown out the system with 20odd places to go and got re-entered in the queue at about 16 000. The 2nd lady in the queue got us in, the whole process took her about 20 min. She is the one that will get the biggest bonus in December I guess. :w00t:

I wonder what the reason for the fast sell out can be?

Better marketing/ Argus growing in popularity?

More cyclist?

Better economic environment?

I wonder what the reason for the fast sell out can be?

Better marketing/ Argus growing in popularity?

More cyclist?

Better economic environment?

I've heard or read somewhere that cycling is the biggest growing sport in SA now for several years

Archived