Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

You do NOT want deep sections if it's pumping around chappies / Llandudno. The wind doesn't blow straight, so you can't lean into it. It's all over the place. Swirling gusting etc.

If the wind is pumping and you have a choice of an old set of 2kg steel rims or some HED stinger 4 wheels which would you choose?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurry people!!! invitation for the 2nd lap just came through, quick, quick, quick enter, only an additional R400!!

If the wind is pumping and you have a choice of an old set of 2kg steel rims or some HED stinger 4 wheels which would you choose?

I'd take the stingers. But then they're not THAT deep and I have a fair amount of bulk to help me keep them down.

Hurry people!!! invitation for the 2nd lap just came through, quick, quick, quick enter, only an additional R400!!

Beep, beep, Talus

If you're a dikgat and over 80 kgs, you stand a better chance at those gusts.

Just lean into your drops and clinch your top tube with your muscular Boonen quads.

Hehehehe

68kgs at the best of times with skinny thighs unfortunately. But my drops are low. And prayers for good weather. If not good weather, simply prayers to get me through. Hehe.

If you're a dikgat and over 80 kgs, you stand a better chance at those gusts.

Just lean into your drops and clinch your top tube with your muscular Boonen quads.

Hehehehe

68kgs at the best of times with skinny thighs unfortunately. But my drops are low. And prayers for good weather. If not good weather, simply prayers to get me through. Hehe.

Hi Guys,

Is group 1E any good? My son is also n group 1C. If anyone can be kind to give a short explanation. Its our first time doing the Cape Cycle Tour

you guys will do well, your son will possibly ride a Sub3 from 1c, your group 1e will possibly do a 3:15 or less. Judging from your THB results of 2013 I reckon both of you should finish with the group leaders.

Beep, beep, Talus

Just got home. Happy days. R400 to change from an expensive "fun ride" to a full-on whole day experience on beautiful roads with full road closure- WHAT A BARGAIN!

Wheels are the biggest difference maker when it counts, Can't remember who but there was a guy who took a steel frame and rode on a fairly flat section of road with Steel Rims, then switched out the rims for some super light Carbon rims, he was about 20% faster, then light carbon bike with heavy rims and lastly light carbon bike with light carbon rims, the differences were marginal in gains, the Carbon with steel was slightly slower than the Steel frame with Carbon Rims, and the Carbon frame with carbon wheels only like 5% difference over steel Frame with Carbon rims.

I am sure it would have been different though if climbs were involved.

My friend and I are looking for 2 substitute entries to the 2015 Argus.  Please let me know if you know anyone who can't make it. Thanks.

My friend and I are looking for 2 substitute entries to the 2015 Argus.  Please let me know if you know anyone who can't make it. Thanks.

Substitutions closed already, so now there is no way to take over someone elses entry. If you ride with someone elses number, you take two chances: 1. If you get injured, the paramedics the doctors and the hospital will treat you according to the medical history of the original entrant, because it is recorded on his number and his timing chip. That is dangerous.  2. If you are caught, both the original entrant and you will be banned from riding any future Arguses. 

There is a little ray of hope though: International entries are (I think) still open, so if you have a non-SA passport you can still get in.

Sincerely hope next week Sunday doesnt pump like it did heading towards Smits this morning. Wind was present in all its glory.

Archived