Who has the right of way?

georges

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its people like you with attitudes like this that make us noobs feel bad.

I try hard to give people right of way but my steel bike with only 10 gears isn't that fast. Plus I fall a lot when people ride right behind me.

Sorry if I get in your way - I'm sure I'll be faster when I've shed my 25kg boep.

This catch-22 is exactly the point I am trying to bring across. When cyclist A won't give way because they are stubborn, it makes cyclist B adapt to survive, thereby applying the same bad attitude to whoever the next victim is a.k.a. cyclist C.

As I've mentioned before, give way when someone is faster than you and thereby chivalry will work its way back in and other cyclists will show more consideration when you are faster than they are.

I'll be here all day, and tomorrow.

Ah. Twists and turns, how you like to take them.

I'm no hypocrite. I'm slow on the ups and downs. I move over when I can, where I can. I don't "race" unless it's enduro (and even then it's a misnomer as I am my own biggest competitor)

Your attitude is clear for all to see. The followup characterisation of "scum" was related directly to those who held you up (including the woman you characterised in your post) and it was not negativity on my part that caused the parallel to be drawn.

I use strava, to track my progress against myself and my roding buddies. But there's a very good reason thay strava is associated with egotistical maniacs who just want to one up the rest, even if it means cutting corners and just shouting "track!" all the time.

Anyway. Hypocrite? Maybe. But at least I know who I am. Do you?

Ah. Twists and turns, how you like to take them.

I'm no hypocrite. I'm slow on the ups and downs. I move over when I can, where I can. I don't "race" unless it's enduro (and even then it's a misnomer as I am my own biggest competitor)

Your attitude is clear for all to see. The followup characterisation of "scum" was related directly to those who held you up (including the woman you characterised in your post) and it was not negativity on my part that caused the parallel to be drawn.

I use strava, to track my progress against myself and my roding buddies. But there's a very good reason thay strava is associated with egotistical maniacs who just want to one up the rest, even if it means cutting corners and just shouting "track!" all the time.

Anyway. Hypocrite? Maybe. But at least I know who I am. Do you?

You are still assuming and have me bored; you aren't realising and learning and thereby I can't learn due to uninsightful (I wanted to use a less harsh synonym, but everything sounds insulting) replies.

My attitude is clear, as I attempted yet again in a previous post to clarify my viewpoint i.e. being considerate AT ALL TIMES, whether in training or race conditions. One such example: " give way when someone is faster than you and thereby chivalry will work its way back in and other cyclists will show more consideration when you are faster than they are"

I hardly see the point of still replying to you. I also use strava but I've never used it for anything other than getting a pace value during training. You are a hypocrite for making foolish and irrelevant comparisons to bluelightbullies and your perceived stereotype of Strava users. I have yet to meet someone that uses Strava in a way that matches your stereotype.

my thought exactly. He'll ride faster through most single track on his rigid SS than most guys on dualies

There is a common problem I find with any form of text communication be it email/chat forums/IM's etc. you cannot pick up on the tone the poster is typing in whether it be in jest, sarcasm, utter seriousness or out right obnoxious, causing these threads to escalate rather quickly. which in turn actually makes them quite fun... :whistling:

There is a common problem I find with any form of text communication be it email/chat forums/IM's etc. you cannot pick up on the tone the poster is typing in whether it be in jest, sarcasm, utter seriousness or out right obnoxious, causing these threads to escalate rather quickly. which in turn actually makes them quite fun... :whistling:

Like sands through the hourglass, so is the Hub in our lives

My final say in the matter though - the person in front has right of way. Finish and klaar. Until he or she gets off his bike and as a result is impeding those behind, they can keep to the racing line. Left / right / whatever.

If you want to pass them, find a good spot and do it safely and with good manners. If you carry on getting stuck behind technically challenged riders, train harder so that you won't get stuck behind them. Get a better seeding and it won't be as much of a problem.

But don't assume that it is your right to request slower riders to move over for you. It's not.

My final say in the matter though - the person in front has right of way. Finish and klaar. Until he or she gets off his bike and as a result is impeding those behind, they can keep to the racing line. Left / right / whatever.

If you want to pass them, find a good spot and do it safely and with good manners. If you carry on getting stuck behind technically challenged riders, train harder so that you won't get stuck behind them. Get a better seeding and it won't be as much of a problem.

But don't assume that it is your right to request slower riders to move over for you. It's not.

I have made the same point although from a different perspective. I don't agree with always waiting until its safe and sound, but I do agree that it's not a right, but everyone needs to show high consideration towards others- let them pass if you would want the same. To be more clear, the levels of consideration should be of such nature that you allow them to pass or be allowed to pass as soon as humanly possible, because the longer someone's on your tail, the worse the experience gets, as many posts have stated in many different ways.

We need more contesting to come up with better results. :thumbup:

Edited by Dirkitect

after reading all this, note to self - "you made the correct decision not to take part in races/events."

My solution - gather some mates, head for the mountains and enjoy the peace.

Wrong.

No fresh craft beer in them mountains thar

Firstly I'll request. Then I'll attempt to pass on the side at my discomfort at a straight section. But if at that point my front weel passes you and then you want to race or are annoyed that I'm overtaking that your problem. Well not YOU but whomever I'm passing. Cos some people don't like being passed.

My seeding is slowly getting better as my first ever two races I had mech problems and got in at 55 and 55 rating. But at my last attempt I got a 31. So two more races without indecent and I'll be where I want to be. My average seeding is still at 47 so i'll probably only move up from G to E or F in a big race.

when i see chit like this that I remember why I'm not heartwarmingly-welcoming to new cyclists. Give way to the cyclist that trained longer and harder than you did

Or what??