Everesting riders in South Africa!

Tubehunter

It can, it's just not in the spirit of the challenge.  Snippet taken from the Everesting rules:

– The first Everesting ride for each climb will be signified by ‘First’ on the hall of fame (or First* if you Everested at the same time as more than one other rider). Copied a ride that someone else has done? It absolutely still counts in the hall of fame. Everesting is tough whichever way you look at it, although in the spirit of adventure why not seek something uncharted and stamp your name on the side of it?

Every man and his dog (here) seems to summit Everest (leaving a pile of trash in the process), so possibly not the challenge it once was. Possibly more people have actually summited Everest than done a biking Everest (ok, I may be over-stating things).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Frail Kleynhans, get hold of him. He's done it already a few times this year and is currently busy doing 4 Everest challenges over a week's time or something crazy like that.

Have to be a long term project ... not nearly strong enough. My mtb crew and I did 3x repeats of the merino monster a few weekends ago ... 47km and 2300m ascent .... so about 3.7 times that ride which is a frightening idea!!

David Frail Kleynhans, get hold of him. He's done it already a few times this year and is currently busy doing 4 Everest challenges over a week's time or something crazy like that.

Someone CALL my Name???

Pick a Climb and just Ride it.

Go back Every weekend/ Freetime.

You NEED TO be able to Ride your climb as Blind Folded, then you are Ready.

Thanks frail - I have found a climb and am riding it regularly on the MTB, but slowly thinking about perhaps trying an Everest next May. I would need 109 repeats to complete the Everest, which is quite scary as I have only ridden it 47 times ever according to strava.

I have started to incorporate the climb at least twice into every ride I do, MTB or road, and am looking forward to getting stuck into it on my new road bike when it arrives next week.

I have entered a 5 day MTB event in Italy at the end of may next year, day 3 of which has 2900 m of climbing in 90k’s, so thinking that a late April, early may everest attempt on the road may be a great way to get ready.

I have found your ongoing rides incredibly inspiring.

I would need 109 repeats to complete the Everest, which is quite scary as I have only ridden it 47 times ever according to strava.

Do you not have a hill which is a bit longer?  109 repeats will become mind numbingly boring!  On my Everest ride I had to do 81 repeats and I was literally falling asleep going down near the end of it.  You know every bump in the road plus you're tired and your mind just says 'nighty night time'.  At one point I 'woke up' as I was riding into the gutter on the right hand side of the road.  Could have ended badly, I got lucky.  

I'd strongly advocate a longer hill with fewer repeats.  

• 1 year later...