Prescription Oakleys

jcza

Depends on the prescription and the quality of lense material.

My Rudy's were 7k, and my day to day specs have just come in at 7.5k.

My operating glasses were a LOT more than that.... they look a bit odd though....

Have you thought about Adidas glasses? My prescription 'Evil Eye Halfrim' ones, as used by Christoph Sauser, the Movistar cycling team, etc. came in @ R 5000.00. The lenses were made by SHAMIR in Israel.

Just paid R3600 for prescription lenses for my Oakley frames. Huge money but I can actually see now. Went photochromic so should work in most light conditions. Only small downside noted is that the new lenses are much heavier, just a matter of getting used to the fit. Spend the cash and do it properly, just get them insured

With a wife working in optics.....a lens is not a lens is not a lens. WAY different quality exist out there. One thing that I have learned is that you don't mess around with your eyes.

Definitely. I have incredibly @#$ quality lenses in my current day-to-day prescription glasses (which also happen to be Oakleys, albeit the Servo model), there is a day and night difference between these and my genuine Oakley ones. Clarity, surface imperfections, scratch-resistance. All these things differ hugely. Like Kingalton, I'm also going the LASIK route soon.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

They pop out the expensive oakley lenses and give you normal prescription lenses that are tinted.

Went down this road a while ago and decided to get contacts for sport so that I could use normal lenses.

Jip thats it.

Used to wear contacts till I started developing an allergic reaction to them.

I see CWC has Flakjackets on special for R 1699. Also available elsewhere online. Just been quoted R 6500 by Vision Optometrists for prescription Flakjackets. Obviously not interested in daylight robbery. Anywhere else to get them in Jhb at a reasonable price?

Hi there jcza

Prices can vary dramatically depending on your prescription(single vision or multifocal, etc). Prices are usually dictated by Oakley themselves. The Flak Jacket will have to have authentic Oakley lenses fitted, as it is semi-rimless(no frame at the bottom). If you are willing to pass your prescription details on to me with the exact Oakley details(frame colour, model and lens colour), then I'd be happy to send you a comparative quote which will hopefully be more reasonable. I'm based in Cape Town, but I'm sure we can organise something.

Cheers

George

I would do it in a heartbeat if I could but I have a condition that prevents it. Heck the corneal crosslinking stuff I had done 2 years ago cost more than lasik and were just the degeneration down.

Cross linking is the worst. Was the most painful thing I went through.

And did both at the same time...

Sorry for the jacking

Cross linking is the worst. Was the most painful thing I went through.

And did both at the same time...

Sorry for the jacking

Kerataconus?

Its why I had it done, epi off nogal and you are right, its seriously painful.

Fortunately they gave me some hectic sleeping tablets and I slept for close to a week only being awake for about an hour or two a day.

Astigmatism and Keratoconus

Last try before an transplant

Edited by François Marais

Hi

I am on my second pair of rudy's with prescription. Was over five grand. Medical aid at least picked up almost half of the bill making it ok. Good luck, but yes, have it done as it is worth it in the long run. Expect for the idiot who stole my first pair. Not sure if he got a headache?