Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic (80km and 106km)

Marijan

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why the longer distance riders were that much quicker than the 80km winners? Comparing like for like, the average speed of AL compared to AM was approx 3km/h faster. Either their were more stronger riders in AL, or the extra 26km loop was fast, or there were more riders willing to work upfront in AL?

I rode in AM where there were about 8 of us who worked at the front. The bunch then broke up on Hekpoort. Thanks to the two gents who worked with me to hold our lead. They were close to catching us! But great ride all round.

Had a good race considering I am still trying to loose weight and regain fitness after my oktoberfest holiday.

I rode in Al, the first 10km happened in only 15 min, after that it got a bit boring.

But man o man kudos to Greef Moolman, he put up a show once again, after his amazing performances in R4V and Lost City Classic, We had him marked, if he tried to breakaway every one would chase, he finally got away just after we passed the Hekpoort turnoff, some hard chasing and we caught him, just before Hekpoort.

But then he got away with a few other never saw them again. Chased hard after the climb , but all in avail

Happy with my 2:50 13th place in AL, this race did exactly what I wanted from it, showed me my weaknesses before the 94.7, hopefully I can work on them before then

60% of AL, 33% of BL, 3 cyclists from CL and 1 from DL under 3h. I think.

The first 2 in CL didn't ride the 106km as they turned at the 80km mark....CL group all rode together to hekport so only 1 guy did a sub 3....I did send an email to Racetec complaining

Good race and perfect weather... although the start of the VA's were pretty cold for the first 30mins or so of racing and thereafter started warming up nicely. The speed humps in the first few km's is a bit of a bummer which saw a number of guys loosing their drink bottles, and the rest of the bunch ducking and diving to avoid the rolling bottles on the road.

Unfortunately my race ended suddenly at the 52km mark where I broke two spokes on my back wheel. Had a nice sit down and checked the rest of the bunches coming past.

I'll be back next year and hopefully complete the race  ;)

I really enjoyed the race - would have been great though if they could find a few early hills to break up the bunches a bit.  As BigT4 said I rode in CL and we had a massive group all the way until Hekpoort.  I suppose I could have tried an attack but after reading all of the scare talk about Vrek-Poort I was keeping as much as possible in the tank.  Just missed sub 3 by a few seconds - better try harder next year.

Did anyone see the action in the VB's after a bakkie tried to over take the group and I think some guy in the front shouted at the driver?

After the incident between bakkie and the front of the VB's the guy in the bakkie decided to drive at the front of the group and kept on braking forcing the whole group brake, he did it for a couple of times till he probably got bored of looking at men in tights....

Did anyone see the action in the VB's after a bakkie tried to over take the group and I think some guy in the front shouted at the driver?

After the incident between bakkie and the front of the VB's the guy in the bakkie decided to drive at the front of the group and kept on braking forcing the whole group brake, he did it for a couple of times till he probably got bored of looking at men in tights....

Where was your marshal? 

Finally managed my sub 3. Woo hoo. In general oncoming traffic was very accommodating especially the truck drivers. They were very cool. As usual cyclist playing chicken with cars and fate cycling on wrong side of road then pulling back in causing teh bunch to hit brakes and p me off...... But thankfully nothing happened in the batch. Cars from behind overtaking were actually very cool as well. Even going up Hekpoort when there was PLENTY space to ride on the hard shoulder and let the cars past.... but anyway.

Think i may give this one a skip in future as well

Just curious, were you in BL with a white cycling top?

Also managed the sub 3 from BL, but with literally a minute to spare...  smallish group worked hard from the top of hekpoort to get in under 3 after losing the front of B on the climb...

Edited by dracs

Just curious, were you in BL with a white cycling top?

Also managed the sub 3 from BL, but with literally a minute to spare...  smallish group worked hard from the top of hekpoort to get in under 3 after losing the front of B on the climb...

Yup, think there were 5 of us from the top of hekpoort. couple of guys joined and dropped off as we went up and down the various hills. What kit were you in?

Suppose that will teach us to wheel suck the first half of the race then take it easy up Hekpoort. I thought i would suffer a lot more, then suddenly i was at the top , maybe i should have tried a little harder to hold the front group. :thumbup:

Edited by Too tall

Yup, think there were 5 of us from the top of hekpoort. couple of guys joined and dropped off as we went up and down the various hills. What kit were you in?

Suppose that will teach us to wheel suck the first half of the race then take it easy up Hekpoort. I thought i would suffer a lot more, then suddenly i was at the top , maybe i should have tried a little harder to hold the front group. :thumbup:

haha!  Indeed, I thought the same - decided early on the climb to let them go, but in the end I see they only took about 5 minutes on us - so possibly could/should have hung on.

Me red UTi kit - we finished together and shared a word with you commenting on "finally got that sub 3" - plus you are indeed a tall bastard so I did the maths!  Anyway you finished strong and did a lot of work - good ride.

Edited by dracs

Typical agro mentality. No wonder we are the the most unfriendliest city in the world. I found swearing at drivers just makes it worse. Sometimes its better just to wave, like you thought they where greeting you. It does avoids confrontation.

Typical agro mentality. No wonder we are the the most unfriendliest city in the world. I found swearing at drivers just makes it worse. Sometimes its better just to wave, like you thought they where greeting you. It does avoids confrontation.

I was the main idiot to swear ... but smiling and waving neutralises the situation far easier