Afrikaans

Gnarly

everyone who was in an Afrikaans school had to take 12years of English which involved orals' date=' oral responses in class everyday and by matric you should be able to express yourself.

[/quote']

Hey hey....sorry. Almal het nie engliesh van Sub A af gehad nie....en ook nie tot en met matriek nieWink.

Nellie, nice om te sien jy's nog once in a while hier.Smile

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still - good grief! I'm quite sure that all the Afrikaans guys and girls don't ONLY watch 7de Laan and KykNet!

All movies, soapies, the majority of TV programs and songs on the radio are English and i am certain that they understand everything that the people say there!! So depending on your age and how much you like watching/listening all these things, you should have developed quite a good English vocabulary up til now.

In my case it is about 17,5years - give or take 15% TV and 85% music.

Hehe - ja, ek's nog hier - en ek vrek mos oor die Engels-Afrikaans debatte!!!Big%20smile

obvious that the majority of the hubbers are afrikaans.

Sorry? What majority? Can you back that with a poll or somethingWink

Yes...I can be like to doing that.

Poll Question: What language do you speak at home?
Poll ChoiceVotesPoll Statistics
Afrikaans95bar_graph_image.gif [50.80%]
English92bar_graph_image.gif [49.20%]
You have already voted in this poll

Gnarly and Colonel........ Luckily I am on leave and not really in a mood to handle your respectfullness. AFRIKAANS is a language that is spoken by a great majority of people in this country. If you are iengliesh and has a chip on your shoulder it is your problem. If I post in AFRIKAANS and you cannot read it it is your loss and I dont really care. It is my right to express myself in my mother toungue en I will continue to do it. It is only out of respect that I will reply to a post of you in iengliesh. I do not really like to speak your  common and backward language myself.

Big H, you need to lighten up in your old age it?s not good for the heart.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I did not be disrespectable to Afrikaans once. All I said was that I did not understand it. If you had to hear me try speaking in Afrikaans it would even probably make you chuckle. I have a lot of Afrikaans friends and we are able to laugh at the way they or I speak the other languages.

Now that I think of it when last did you actually post a positive comment on the Hub?

I just find it interesting that the English okes always complain about not being able to speak Afrikaans, but the Afrikaans okes never have the same issue?

Secondly, there seems to be lots of jokes about the Afrikaans okes' English when the funny thing is really the other way round, not?

Someone mentioned the case of Sufiso (sp?) Nhlapo bursting out in Sotho. Looking at the surname I think it will be Zulu... point is few of us will be able to understand. Thing is, the middle class is coming people.... how many of you speak a black language? If by then, you are still only capable of speaking English, put on your glasses and spot the dinosour.... talk about dying stuff, you have to spot the irony here.

What gets me is when people (and often Eengleesh peoples) don't know their "theres" from their "theirs" or even worse; their "its" from their "it's".

Don't mofo's now hows to grammaterise annymore???

Thank goodness your observation is so true. I am a financial proofreader and I make a (good) living out of people's ignorance of language (both English and Afrikaans). Smile You would be surprised at how many well-educated business people haven't the slightest idea about the difference between, for example, the use of continuous and continual. For that matter there are a lot of journalists who are just as ignorant, just ask HR!

And when it comes to the difference between how (business) Afrikaans is used in the Cape and Gauteng - you just won't believe it. It's like two different dialects!

If by then' date=' you are still only capable of speaking English, put on your glasses and spot the dinosour.... talk about dying stuff, you have to spot the irony here. [/quote']

Clap

Thumbs%20Up

When being taught Afrikaans at school, as it was compulsory, I really didn't like the language. In hindsight this reaction had a lot to do with the fact that I hated anything that was deemed "compulsory", and wasn't really aimed at the language. The reality of learning Afrikaans really struck home when I was "encouraged" to do so in the SADF. Talk about motivation by intimidation !! Now I enjoy the fact that I can converse in Afrikaans when required. Quite often I attend customer meetings with my boss, who did not learn Afrikaans as he was schooled in the then Rhodesia, and these meetings are held almost entirely in Afrikaans [even though our customer is the Today,Tomorow, Together crowd]. My boss has no choice to sit there looking silly while the banter and detail goes over his head. The annoying thing though, is having to translate all the time !!

I had a girlfriend at school and she soooo wanted to be English. I told het that being English you only have know one language, being Afrikaans you have to know two.

And my 4 year ols niece know some English words and understands English cartoons. How many English people 10x that age can say that about Afrikaans.

For those that dont understand afrikaans let me offer to help translate for you. Below is an example of a paragraph i have translated to show my skill. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Verlede jaar het ek en my swaer en my skoonseun per vliegtuig na

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Windhoek gereis om veral die dierelewe van Namibie te besigtig.

Last year, me and my heavy and my cleanson traveled by flying harness

to Windcorner specially to belook the animal-living in.  

In die Noorde het ons toe volop springbokke, steenbokke, blesbokke,

kameelperde en ook meerkatte gesien.

In the North we then saw full-up jumping goats, brick buck, bald buck,

Camel horses and also more cats.

Een keer was ons senuwees egter skoon op hol.

One time genuine our sinews were clean on hollow.

Ons het agtergekom dat 'n luiperd besig was om ons te bekruip.

We aftercame that a lazy-horse was becreeping us.

In 'n oomblik was ons slaggereed met ons dubbelloop haelgewere.

In an uncle-tin we were slaughter ready with our double walk hail

guns.

Toe die luiperd agter die bos roer, skiet ons almal gelyk.

When the lazy-horse mixed behind the bush, we all shot equal.

Na alles verby was, was ons hare baie deurmekaar.  Ons het dit toe

netjies gemaak, in die bakkie geklim en huis toe gery.

After all was past, our hairs were very through each other.  We then

made It into small nets, we climbed in the dish, and rode home.

So het ons lang, opwindende dag geeindig.

So did our long, wound-up day end!

I think BigH is upset cause the bulls collected a b*tch slap on the weekend. To me, it is just good manners to TRY and reply the in the same language the original question was asked, if you cannot manage that, then reply in your home/own language.

To me' date=' it is just good manners to TRY and reply the in the same language the original question was asked, if you cannot manage that, then reply in your home/own language.[/quote']

Or if you're trying to pull the mickey out of the original poster.