The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

I wouldn't waste any questions on the economics, guarantees, etc. It's inconvenient and embarrassing enough to the Munga  team as it is and they have disclosed what they wanted to in their press release.

If the reason for failure was economics and as an interviewer you avoid those tough Qs, then IMO you're not doing a very good job. The subject being inconvenient and embarassing is not a reason to avoid it, in fact it's the very role of you as interviewer. Take that away, and you have a worthless puff piece. If the event is to happen in future, and it seems many hope it will, the organizers have much tougher things to achieve than answer some hard Qs that are of interest to everyone.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will concede as follows :-).

- Their press release was clear. Sponsor withdrew -> economics didn't make sense - event cancelled. Nothing new there.

- They did however say the prize money was guaranteed. If it wasn't, that speaks to integrity of the event going forward and that needs to be clarified in order to ensure they can be believed next time. Bit of damage control required.

Wyatt Earp, on 16 Oct 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:snapback.png

And that gave you this ?

Now I am really confused.

The training and endurance required has nothing to do with the entry fee.

R110K is just silly. Far to far out of the "normal" range.

It is, I think we all agree and feel the same way, but then again I don't think we are their target market.

Just my guess IMHO

It is, I think we all agree and feel the same way, but then again I don't think we are their target market.

Just my guess IMHO

That's a good question to ask.

Who exactly were they targetting?

Are there really enough pros/crazies who are in it to win it that will enter to cover the costs of the race? I don't think so...

Just my guess IMHO

I think he did mention (right in the beginning) that their target market was the foreigners.

Just my guess IMHO

Probably not - but some adventures cost more than others.... take a guided attempt at Mount Everest for example.... going to be in the region of 150k USD (please do not ask how I know this) :)

I still think there is a BIG opportunity for running the event for the common man at a lower fee, without prize money - this will also give the organisers "practice" at running the event and prove to the rest of the world that a high ticket race is possible.

I would sign up for a 5 - 6 day challenge at 10kZAR in a moment, and I am sure there would be 100 or more like minded riders who would do the same.

That's a good question to ask.

Who exactly were they targetting?

Are there really enough pros/crazies who are in it to win it that will enter to cover the costs of the race? I don't think so...

They were to cut off at 450 teams and only got 100 odd according to buggalugs on Super Cycling

There is your answer

Not the first event to pull the plug because of poor entries

I personally think it was a poorly thought out idea and that's the result 

I would sign up for a 5 - 6 day challenge at 10kZAR in a moment, and I am sure there would be 100 or more like minded riders who would do the same.

I'd be there also at that sort of price range - not for this year's, timing of other events prevents that. But for a late 2015 or early to mid 2016 one you could count me in for around that sort of price.

So if you changed the currency sign - make it R1m and an entry of R5k or R10k per head. Would you then get enough local riders. Assume you'll attract foreigners later maybe when teh cult gets rolling, but for now target your home market.

I'd be there also at that sort of price range - not for this year's, timing of other events prevents that. But for a late 2015 or early to mid 2016 one you could count me in for around that sort of price.

I agree, I'd be keen to give it a go at a 'South African friendly' price.

I wouldn't waste any questions on the economics, guarantees, etc. It's inconvenient and embarrassing enough to the Munga  team as it is and they have disclosed what they wanted to in their press release. Asking questions about the obvious will make your interview like Radio Jakaranda, they just repeat what's already in the public domain.

I spoke to Alex in the week after the launch and I was honest to say I'd love to take on the challenge but I can't justify nor afford the entry fee. I think their are many others like me, we'd love to give it a bash and have no interest in the prize money. If they charged a R10k entry fee just for bragging rights & the right to ride the route, they'll attract a significant volume of riders, the winners can take my R10k with pleasure. I just want the bragging rights to be able to say I've completed the Munga. Make it like Freedom, Munga provides 2 Cokes & a slice of cheese at 500km at the Gariep Spaza, other than that you're on your own, if you bail call your mom, if your bike breaks, call a buddy or weld the frame, etc.

My Q: Will they consider something like the above?

My parting message to Alex: Ignore the critics, we all hope he can make the Munga work and help establish SA as the MTB epicentre of the world! :-)

but the thing about the munga was the massive scale of entry and prizes.

this is currently on - beit bridge to CPT, entry fee R750. saddle up and let your legs do the talking.

http://www.transafrikabikerace.com/