Always snapping the tubeless valve stems :(

Skylark

Over the years I've spent hundreds replacing tubeless valve stems after they snap off whilst pumping up the tyre. Tried a damn expensive American Classic valve stem recently, made from alu looked pretty burly, like cheese, just adjusted my hand position on the pump and it snapped off. I normally use one of those frame pumps with an integrated valve head on them, a pump with the flexible pipe and screw on fitting will probably be the solution I suppose?

I've learnt to never pump the bike up whilst it is upright, one little shift of the bike, let alone the bike falling over and the stem is tickets, now I lie the bike down first then pump, still not foolproof though.

Any way around this, getting pretty irritating, always happens before a ride or if your luck has run out then in the middle of no where, tubeless valve stems cost the earth, even the cheapies.

AC Valves I've had is also terrible.  I suspect it gets more brittle after you use a bomb. The heat/cold difference will definitely do something to it. 

Good question though. 

I've been using the same ones for the last two years in conjunction with a floor pump without any issues. Not sure what brand they are though.

My issues lie with road bike tubes, there have been a few times where the valve stems started to separate itself from the tube.

You need to ensure that you have no to minimal movement of the pump relative to valve when pumping up.

Will try to remember to take a pick of how I hold the pump using the spokes as a bracing support for my hand holding the pump

and here I was hoping to search for a guide for tubeless conversion after 2 tubes' valves coming loose from the tube.... sigh

Over the years I've spent hundreds replacing tubeless valve stems after they snap off whilst pumping up the tyre. Tried a damn expensive American Classic valve stem recently, made from alu looked pretty burly, like cheese, just adjusted my hand position on the pump and it snapped off. I normally use one of those frame pumps with an integrated valve head on them, a pump with the flexible pipe and screw on fitting will probably be the solution I suppose?

I've learnt to never pump the bike up whilst it is upright, one little shift of the bike, let alone the bike falling over and the stem is tickets, now I lie the bike down first then pump, still not foolproof though.

Any way around this, getting pretty irritating, always happens before a ride or if your luck has run out then in the middle of no where, tubeless valve stems cost the earth, even the cheapies.

Yebo :) Look for something like one of those Lezyne HV pumps  :thumbup:

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/0d1/01a/d19/50245/lezyne-hv-drive-mini-pump.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

btw, is it the whole valve stem that snaps off, or the inner part that screws out (valve core)? I've bent the valve core before. If it's the core then maybe using a presta schrader converter might protect it from getting bent? 

Also came across this homemade adapter. It's for schrader to presta, but maybe if you can get hold of an old pump (ask lbs) you can make something like this so that you don't have to buy a new pump.

post-19687-0-61517600-1414992154_thumb.jpg

post-19687-0-50369800-1414992257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

How tight are you screwing the valves into the rim with the "locknut" before inflating? If you over tighten this the valve will have tendency to snap off but if you valve core is snapping/bending then there's too much movement while pumping and a floor pump should be a reasonable solution?

Is this like a general issue for the rest of the 'ubbers *confused* .... I have once broken off just that little tightening piece at the top but that is easily remedied.

It's easily solved

Get a proper floor type pump to use at home.

I've never broken a Valve Stem, but then, maybe I bought the right tools for the Job... Floor Pump for home and LeZyne Hand Pump with the Presta/Schrader adaptor extension for flexibility....

:ph34r:

I've been using the same ones for the last two years in conjunction with a floor pump without any issues. Not sure what brand they are though.

My issues lie with road bike tubes, there have been a few times where the valve stems started to separate itself from the tube.

I know this issue so well. Comes from when I push the pump clamp onto the tube valve stem causing the valve stem to press inwards against the tube, which weakens the join between the stem and the tube.

I found the only way to get by this problem was to first deflate the tube fully before pumping up to desired pressure. That way, I could have my thumb pushed down against the deflated tyre to make sure the tube valve didn't depress into the tube.

But then I bought this cheap floor pump and it solved all my issues (should solve Skylark's issue too). You don't have to push hard to get the pump clamp connected to the presta valve. Just put it on without any real downward pressure and twist to lock.

I've never had an issue since. And I no longer have to deflate my tyres before pumping them up again.

Here it is:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/airwave-storm-track-pump/rp-prod47804

Edit: oh, and it's rated to 10bar so perfect for road bikes.

Edited by tombeej

How tight are you screwing the valves into the rim with the "locknut" before inflating? If you over tighten this the valve will have tendency to snap off but if you valve core is snapping/bending then there's too much movement while pumping and a floor pump should be a reasonable solution?

This.

I'm talking about the valve stem part snapping off just after the locknut that tightens it onto the rim. Looks like I need to get a floor pump asap been wanting to get one, they have a press gauge, easy on and off, win.

But I have been keeping the stem locknut quite tight, not overly tight though, I can see how keeping it a touch loose will allow the stem some give/movement without snapping off immediately. I've noticed no matter how tight you make the stem nut it always works loose anyway so it's a fruitless exercise making it very tight. Finger tightened valve stems from here on.