Snakes - Table Mountain

Oneman

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you see a snake, just stop and let it get on with it's day.  They won't strike just because you're on the wrong type of bike or riding like a girl...

Riding fast down a single track and coming across one without enough time to stop is another story!   Lift your legs up and hope he's not having a bad day (yet)!

I cycle Koeberg a lot. There is some serious big cobra's.  Had a couple of close encounters.  First reaction is to lift your legs (feet), not possible with shoes still clipped, Not a nice feeling.  

Most snake bites come from people (usually young males!) interfering with the snake. Give it room, let it do its thing. 

I've luckily only come across snakes on jeep track when descending and have been able to brake and swerve (with heart in mouth) behind to let it on its way.

No idea I'll do when I come across a puffadder or cobra chilling on some singletrack.. 

You will scream like a girl and get close to a heart attack.  I experienced it twice big cobra's

Slightly off topic, but thought I would share an Instagram post by Ryan Sands yesterday..

8 years ago my wife and I did a hike up to lions head. On the way down I heard a rustle in the bushes, looked right and did a quick jump to the left onto a rock. This went along with a scream that sounded like it came out of a girl. What I saw was a snake that looked exactly like this one only it didn't flare it's hood.

Safe to say at least now I know what type of snake it was

I cycle Koeberg a lot. There is some serious big cobra's.  Had a couple of close encounters.  First reaction is to lift your legs (feet), not possible with shoes still clipped, Not a nice feeling.  

Surfer, I also ride there a lot - every Sunday. My record for one day is 2 cobras and a skaapsteker. Scary stuff.

Seen Cobra at Koeberg, Hillcrest and Majik Forest before. Every time I ride and hear a rustle in the bushes a snake is always the first thing that comes to mind

8 years ago my wife and I did a hike up to lions head. On the way down I heard a rustle in the bushes, looked right and did a quick jump to the left onto a rock. This went along with a scream that sounded like it came out of a girl. What I saw was a snake that looked exactly like this one only it didn't flare it's hood.

Safe to say at least now I know what type of snake it was

Rather a cobra than a puffie I always say. You know how a cobra will react, but puffies are bef*k!

Seen Cobra at Koeberg, Hillcrest and Majik Forest before. Every time I ride and hear a rustle in the bushes a snake is always the first thing that comes to mind

You lucky I think of 4 guys jumping out with knives who actually want to hurt me, not some snake trying to get away from this mad species on a steel horse

Herewith an interesting document all should read. I received this from a mate of mine, Stefan.

(Apologies, I had to compress the document as the original size was 4.5mb. If you want the original send me your mail address, and I will forward it..)

Snake ID and Information guide.pdf

Here are a few numbers to call for help if you get bitten.

SANPARKS emergency number 0861 106 417 or EMS RESCUE 0219370300/1. This will get a ranger to you asap and incident will be passed on to EMS Rescue which has a rescue helicopter available if needed.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL A PRIVATE AMBULANCE SERVICE! They will first try and send an ambulance to you and when they eventually figure out they cant reach you they will inform the rescue sevices. There is a dedicated Wilderness Search and Rescue organisation comprising EMS Rescue, mountain rescue, 4x4 rescue, SANPARKS, etc.

Archived