The Munga 2015

StevieL

Who is going to be at the finish line tomorrow? It would be cool if there were a big crowd to cheer the winner over the line.

couple beers, camp chair... :thumbup:

anytime from 5 till 9 in the morning i reckon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was GU I would wait for JN to arrive at the race village and leave as he gets there. This leaves JN with two choices either keep going without rest or rest knowing that with every minute of rest the gap increases.

Even if JN doesnt stop and carries on going then he would be reeled in quite quickly by GU having had a little rest.

Still at this point of the race psychological stuff can really mess with a person.

the reason there are so few updates is probably because that area is like the farside of the moon - no cellphone coverage - its one of the best features of the area - no pinging phones, just silence

the tracker system is great

although delayed gratification for us, I think Erik Vermuelen is probably finding more epic photo ops than he can handle - awesome pics 

This is the rampage of cross country. Had no idea it would be this cool to "watch".

Smokey and the Bandit ........

quick bets on if john is going to ride through...i say yes

If he does I think it will be a mistake. Heat of the day and no rest to speak of. How much longer will his body keep up?

Well it would seem like JN has parked out of town with 4kays to go, seeing as the fricken tracker is not updating!

Even if JN doesnt stop and carries on going then he would be reeled in quite quickly by GU having had a little rest.

Still at this point of the race psychological stuff can really mess with a person.

The stats show that JN stopped for an aggregate of 7hrs 40 ( GN 8:39 and counting) I would be surprised if did not find some kip in that time. Perhaps his strategy is short well interspersed catnaps. More telling is moving the time average speed of GN 20.4 km/hr vs JN's 19.5 km/hr.  With that GU can getting at least 1 hours more sleep than JN.

i know what u mean...... but If my suspicions regarding his cleat positions are correct his calves are not doing much work

All that expert speculation from a poor low resolution pic......Swissvan for the win Munga #2016

The stats show that JN stopped for an aggregate of 7hrs 40 ( GN 8:39 and counting) I would be surprised if did not find some kip in that time. Perhaps his strategy is short well interspersed catnaps. More telling is moving the time average speed of GN 20.4 km/hr vs JN's 19.5 km/hr.  With that GU can getting at least 1 hours more sleep than JN.

So you're saying he sleeps for so little time that it barely registers on his graph. quite something. I wonder if in future people doing this race will find someway to have little micro sleeps while riding. I know I've dropped into deep sleep and actually dreamt in an eye blink. It was alarming to say the least. In teams of two I can imagine a relay of sorts. On long straight stretches this would theoretically be possible. If people can pull 360s of 6 story drops in utah I'm pretty sure some equivalent madness gets applied to events at this level.

Archived