Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I'm running bar-end shifters at the moment. They are 9 speed BUT you turn the "Dial" and they turn from being index shifters to friction shifter, so I can put ANY speed cassette in the back (within the range of motion of the derailleur of course)

Wow, thats interesting. The cool thing is, if your shifting goes out on a ride, you can "unindex" them!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats interesting. The cool thing is, if your shifting goes out on a ride, you can "unindex" them!!!

:thumbup:

Does anyone here have Road STI's on mechanical disk brakes, but feel that there just isn't enough stopping power?

Well I've been investigating these Travel Agents as a possible solution.

Anyone here with experience using this product?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/travel_agents_-_6416

Travel Agents

The Travel Agent can perform a couple of different tasks; adjusting cable pull or serving as a roller to work around tight frame geometries.

For cable pull changes, the Travel Agent makes a short cable pull lever work with along cable pull caliper. This allows you to mix road, mountain and ‘cross brakes and brake levers. Instead of buying new levers or brakes, just install a Travel Agent and you’re good to go!

To use our Travel Agent as a friction reducing roller simply route the cable on the outer edge of the wheel and it is smooth sailing for your brakes around tight bends.

Allows the use of Short Pull levers (traditionally drop bar levers) with Long Pull brake calipers (traditionally linear pull or mountain pull disc brakes)

Compatibility Notes

Common Short Pull Components: Drop bar levers, road calipers, traditional cantilever calipers, short arm “mini-v” linear pull calipers, center pull calipers, and road specific disc calipers

Common Long Pull Components: Flat bar levers, long arm linear pull calipers, and mountain specific disc calipers

Technical Details

• Increases cable travel at a ratio of 1.9:1
  • Machined and anodized AL-6061-T6
  • Available with or without adjusting barrel

post-3951-0-72422300-1501769890_thumb.jpeg

post-3951-0-87972700-1501769905_thumb.jpg

@Milky, 

those look interesting, but for aesthetics have you tried to find compression less cable housing? 

i have a set of mechanical disc brakes: Shimano R-517 / SM-RT54-S (160/160)

and have no problems, but have read online that compressionless cables provide quite a noticeable upgrade in braking power

Edited by Gravity

@Milky,

those look interesting, but for aesthetics have you tried to find compression less cable housing?

i have a set of mechanical disc brakes: Shimano R-517 / SM-RT54-S (160/160)

and have no problems, but have read online that compressionless cables provide quite a noticeable upgrade in braking power

No have not tried those cables yet. Will investigate that as an option as well.

I'm not too familiar with those Shimano brakes of yours, I'm assuming it would be of the newer design & models? Also what levers are you using?

Also I'm already riding a MonsterCross so aesthetically I'm not too phased, more after efficiency. I descended Swartberg Pass with my current setup at lightning speed but at no point was I ever comfortable.

No have not tried those cables yet. Will investigate that as an option as well.

I'm not too familiar with those Shimano brakes of yours, I'm assuming it would be of the newer design & models? Also what levers are you using?

105 - i would be interested in a bulk order of the cables if i cannot find them locally.

Edited by Gravity

• 2 weeks later...

So added gears to my Singular Peregrine. I'm now running  a 1x11 setup.

Ive used an 11speed SLX RD and SLX 11speed 11-46t cassette paired with Rivendell silver barred shifter (friction).

Its works really well, pretty impressed with how well it shifts.

post-44444-0-08102000-1502705843_thumb.jpg

Ive used an 11speed SLX RD and SLX 11speed 11-46t cassette paired with Rivendell silver barred shifter (friction).

Have you entered that sweet ride into the KAROOBAIX?  

Looks that just the rig for that. 

sweet ride

Have you entered that sweet ride into the KAROOBAIX?  

Looks that just the rig for that. 

I would love to, but not going to make it....

• 2 weeks later...