Where Giants Roam...post'em

s14phoenix

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Piss off. I'm stuck in the office with this beast behind me... 

No ride today, or tomorrow. Got meetings... :(

now that's unlucky!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful to some, disgustingly ugly to others...

Picked this 2004 (I think) Giant ATX 2.0 DH up for just about nothing and decided to fix it up a little.

Complete strip, sandblast and satin silver respray, new Deore brakes, pivot bearings and a few other smalls.

Not finished, just threw on some parts I had to make it rideable. Still needs decals, a chainring, new rims and a bunch of other stuff (there goes the budget!) Couldn't find a seal kit for the original Rockshox boxxer, so gave it a new Marzocchi bomber I had lying around.

Let me know what you think!

post-85467-0-52624100-1448116281_thumb.jpg

post-85467-0-17974200-1448116299_thumb.jpg

Great find!

AFAIK that ATX was only ever sold in '99 - 2001. In 2003 they changed to the DH Team / Comp etc.

Just out of interest - what colour was it? That will point to model year. 

The '99 version had 6" travel vs the '00 & '01 having 7"

DH Team

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/157/pbpic157273.jpg

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Here is a before pic of the original colour sceme.

That's my old bike.  :)

And yes, it's a 1999.  Still sourced that shock off a Cannondale DH bike and had the bushings made to fit.    Came with a Manitou 5" double crown, Raceface cranks and Formula disc brakes.   Mavic D321 wheelset etc.  

Raced it as I got it - was still on display at the Giant Argus expo stand, and the next week we had the first National in Citrusdal.    Was a super bike.

Had the DH Team after that too... complete with leaky maroon red Boxxer and horrible (put me off SRAM for life) white composite Gripshift stuff.

Will dig up bike pics when home in Dec.

That's my old bike.   :)

And yes, it's a 1999.  Still sourced that shock off a Cannondale DH bike and had the bushings made to fit.    Came with a Manitou 5" double crown, Raceface cranks and Formula disc brakes.   Mavic D321 wheelset etc.  

Raced it as I got it - was still on display at the Giant Argus expo stand, and the next week we had the first National in Citrusdal.    Was a super bike.

Had the DH Team after that too... complete with leaky maroon red Boxxer and horrible (put me off SRAM for life) white composite Gripshift stuff.

Wow, small world... Looks like its got some pedigree then :D

Glad to have it and and looking forward to those pics.

That's my old bike.   :)

Those early grippies were TERRIBLE. FAR better now. 

Wow, small world... Looks like its got some pedigree then :D

Glad to have it and and looking forward to those pics.

I sold it to an Enduro rider from Camps Bay (cannot remember his name, was Mark Hopkin's buddy).    Bike was best with a pair of Marzocchi Shiver's on it.

Will try get pics up soon - they're all on slide film, so will just need to scan.  :)