loadshedding

Matchstix

The shortest I have had since Wednesday is 5 hours. (I suspect nobody of any value lives on my grid)

What really winds me up is the golf estate next door never seems to get loadshedding, and these idiots have every light inside and outside burning 24/7 (not an exaggeration).

I'm going to run an extension cord over the wall from them to me...

Eskom is a client of the corporate I work for and I hear from some of our people who deal with them that say winter is going to be even worse.

The fact that in the midst of the crisis they still allow unions to dictate and have strikes at medupi - no doubt it's gonna get worse.

We were scheduled to go off today from 12-3pm - still on at 13:40 - go figure.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of loadshedding but used for another purpose and not because your country has issues. I think the whole world needs loadshedding, in terms of the environment blah blah and that people wouldn't rely on having electricity as much.  Man people are sitting at home they lose their electricity for 2 hours, and holy cow balls it's like never ending complaining and stupid reasons why they should have it. There is so much to do, like really.

It's so dumb to me how most people think, at least I got my laptop, cellphone or tablet to keep me busy now, like really?

The other day, I decided to hop on my bicycle and go to the botanical gardens and just see what is up whilst waiting for the power to come back on. I went to the Union Building as well with my latest Bicycling magazine sat down, chill out and just read. I know this type of stuff isn't for everyone but there are tons of stuff to do.

I am now looking into a hobby that doesn't require any electricity, my dad said I can't wash my bike every time the shedding kicks in or try and be a bike mechanic haha. I am looking into something to do with wood, I have a general idea of how woodwork goes, we have almost all the hand tools, I talking about drills and chisels the whole shebang.

So me, I like the loadshedding. I just want to lose my **** when it's 30 minutes late and I am thinking there is no shedding and I am infront of my PC and the power goes off, really messes up my marbles.

Please don't quote this and be like yeah what about all the small businesses and all that stuff I am aware of this and it sucks, nothing one can do about it if you can't afford a generator, even though some people do have other alternatives.

•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Its fine when it goes out every now and then, its a problem when its more than once a day.

I have a server room to worry about at the office and despite R150k's worth of inverters and UPS if it gets hit within 24 hours of a previous loadshedding then I have to get to the office at all kinds of times to make sure stuff is running.

Investing in a large automated genny isnt on the cards due to us moving in a few months time.

So loadshedding carries more than a little inconvenience to me.

I like the idea of loadshedding but used for another purpose and not because your country has issues. I think the whole world needs loadshedding, in terms of the environment blah blah and that people wouldn't rely on having electricity as much.  Man people are sitting at home they lose their electricity for 2 hours, and holy cow balls it's like never ending complaining and stupid reasons why they should have it. There is so much to do, like really.

It's so dumb to me how most people think, at least I got my laptop, cellphone or tablet to keep me busy now, like really?

The other day, I decided to hop on my bicycle and go to the botanical gardens and just see what is up whilst waiting for the power to come back on. I went to the Union Building as well with my latest Bicycling magazine sat down, chill out and just read. I know this type of stuff isn't for everyone but there are tons of stuff to do.

I am now looking into a hobby that doesn't require any electricity, my dad said I can't wash my bike every time the shedding kicks in or try and be a bike mechanic haha. I am looking into something to do with wood, I have a general idea of how woodwork goes, we have almost all the hand tools, I talking about drills and chisels the whole shebang.

So me, I like the loadshedding. I just want to lose my **** when it's 30 minutes late and I am thinking there is no shedding and I am infront of my PC and the power goes off, really messes up my marbles.

Please don't quote this and be like yeah what about all the small businesses and all that stuff I am aware of this and it sucks, nothing one can do about it if you can't afford a generator, even though some people do have other alternatives.

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

I get what you're saying, but, there are times that it will annoy any/every individual.

For example, I couldn't care, loadshed my house the entire day, but, make sure we have power to get ready for work in the morning, and to be able to cook dinner.

I'm sick and tired of planning something decent for dinner then having to scramble to make some quick *** that I didn't want...and I'll never make the mistake again of trying to go out for dinner or take-away's because everywhere that does have power is jam packed, if you can even get there through the traffic...

At the very least, stick to the damn schedule that they pay some idiot person a small fortune to create. (I still believe they have two dartboards, one with an area, and one with a timeslot, they throw a dart in each and that's how they create the 'schedule')

I'm sure most people would get behind the idea if they were actually able to plan their lives accordingly, but it's a constant lottery as to when it goes off.

I get what you're saying, but, there are times that it will annoy any/every individual.

For example, I couldn't care, loadshed my house the entire day, but, make sure we have power to get ready for work in the morning, and to be able to cook dinner.

I'm sick and tired of planning something decent for dinner then having to scramble to make some quick *** that I didn't want...and I'll never make the mistake again of trying to go out for dinner or take-away's because everywhere that does have power is jam packed, if you can even get there through the traffic...

At the very least, stick to the damn schedule that they pay some idiot person a small fortune to create. (I still believe they have two dartboards, one with an area, and one with a timeslot, they throw a dart in each and that's how they create the 'schedule')

I'm sure most people would get behind the idea if they were actually able to plan their lives accordingly, but it's a constant lottery as to when it goes off.

Gas stove is your solution it seems. It is much quicker anyway. A real good purchase, electricity or not.

We had a sub station blow up once for 3days no power(we have a gen set)so no real issue, I have no idea why our area has no load shedding

No hospitals ,,embassy or anything of value,,that I know of,

Maybe I should advertise my property

4 sale house that does not experience load shedding

Maybe I get more for it

I'm in Edenglen Dips and also have never had load shedding. Don't know why.

Gas stove is your solution it seems. It is much quicker anyway. A real good purchase, electricity or not.

Yes and all, but my wife likes the fact that when the power goes off, suddenly I'm in charge of dinner because I'm in charge of the braai. Buying a gas stove did not help getting me off that particular hook. :)

I need one of them.

When I re-do my kitchen. First item on the list. 

You will not be sorry.  I have been cooking on gas for the last 8 months and refilled gas bottle only once.  R220.00. Bargain. Plus when the lights are out we can at least have a hot meal.

Must say yesterday we were without water for 24 hours.  When the power went off too I was irratated beyond words.  Then I remembered that so many people live like this daily with no electricity and running water in their houses.

You will not be sorry.  I have been cooking on gas for the last 8 months and refilled gas bottle only once.  R220.00. Bargain. Plus when the lights are out we can at least have a hot meal.

Must say yesterday we were without water for 24 hours.  When the power went off too I was irratated beyond words.  Then I remembered that so many people live like this daily with no electricity and running water in their houses.

What size Gas bottle do you have?  Ours costs less than R100 to fill and lasts for a year. 

Best purchase was my gas stove, I love cooking with it and now with all the load shedding its brilliant. Can make tea / coffee when ever.

Am loving the load shedding, it means we sit down and play board games *gasp*. 

Peace and quiet in the house, its bliss.

We running gas now for the last 2 years. We replace a no18 tank around 7 months.

Last week, our neighbours needed hot water, and I released that I have a stove attachement for the cadac skottel and lent it to them. So basically no need to go out and reinvest unless it is in the pipeline.

One of these would do

http://media2.takealot.com/covers/covers/30948937/53cf66b3c6e27-zoom.jpg?1406093974

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/images/product/1080404.jpg

We running gas now for the last 2 years. We replace a no18 tank around 7 months.

Last week, our neighbours needed hot water, and I released that I have a stove attachement for the cadac skottel and lent it to them. So basically no need to go out and reinvest unless it is in the pipeline.

One of these would do

http://media2.takealot.com/covers/covers/30948937/53cf66b3c6e27-zoom.jpg?1406093974

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/images/product/1080404.jpg

I already have a skottel and a similar two plate setup as Eddy, the problem comes in that you can't cook everything on it - for example, that roast leg of lamb is going to be pretty disappointing if you try cook it on that ;)

I'm all for the braai or gas, but the problem comes in when you've taken something out that you're not able to cook on there, and since I don't have a gas microwave I can't defrost on a whim ;):P

What size Gas bottle do you have?  Ours costs less than R100 to fill and lasts for a year. 

Best purchase was my gas stove, I love cooking with it and now with all the load shedding its brilliant. Can make tea / coffee when ever.

Am loving the load shedding, it means we sit down and play board games *gasp*. 

Peace and quiet in the house, its bliss.

I think is is about 10kg.... :wacko:  :)  About knee height.  We filled it when we first moved in eight months ago and it still feels quite full. 

When we have no power.....I often sit outside have coffee and brush the dogs.  They are looking very shiny and well groomed lately. :)

I already have a skottel and a similar two plate setup as Eddy, the problem comes in that you can't cook everything on it - for example, that roast leg of lamb is going to be pretty disappointing if you try cook it on that ;)

I'm all for the braai or gas, but the problem comes in when you've taken something out that you're not able to cook on there, and since I don't have a gas microwave I can't defrost on a whim ;) :P

the newer gas ovens are pretty good. Nowhere near as ineffective temperamental as the old style gas driven ovens, especially with the inclusion of a thermofan. 

Edited by El Capitan

The title to this thread is wrong. We are suffering power failures. Dressing it up as load shedding is just PR bulldust.

I particularly like that my mates living in Newlands don't suffer power failures as the MPs live there.