2015 FNB Wines2Whales

JasonS

*snip

The fact is, we are paying a small fortune to sleep in a tent for 2 nights and ride trails which are open for most of the year. I last year rode 2 days of W2W on Houwhoek Tour and paid R750 or thereabouts. Now I'm riding for 3 days, very similar trails, and paying close to R6 000. That is excluding air fares and bike transport, since I now live in JHB, plus Uber, gifts for family that I stay with.

So if I want to have a minor grouch that the steak at w2w was not as good as the delicious Karan beef steak cooked by a local boer at Sani - guess what? I can! I'm bleeping well paying for it. Not sleeping in a tent and eating pasta and cheese - because I don't ever do that.

Riding trails, sleeping in a tent is pretty much what stage racing is about? You knew all these things and the costs when you CHOSE to do it. As for your choice of transport, Uber rates, the cost of pumpkin lattes at the airport, where you live and your family's need for gifts, surely you can't really use that against the organizer?

I also don't think the fact that "bleeping well paying for something" is reason enough on its own to justify a moaning.

As feedback for the organizers, what would have made you a happy camper? What did you expect that you did not get?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Criticism only has value to the organizers if it is constructive (i.e. they can use it to improve the event). All you's that took the time to complain, please enlighten us with cost effective and practically executable alternatives as without this, your complaints carry little or no weight.

I could not agree more.

As a previous organiser of many events that is precisely what we want.

I could not agree more.

As a previous organiser of many events that is precisely what we want.

It is far easier to simply rant with no constructive alternatives. It does not require putting yourself in the organizer's shoes and considering all the variables, constraints and the practicality of solving a problem. We all indulge in a little self gratification from time to time, but if we want people to take us seriously, we should also be able to come up with an alternative required to take an event forward. I get that many on this forum is not to be taken seriously at all (I think the Oom was taken way too seriously by many). The trick is to work out who to take seriously and who not.

Riding trails, sleeping in a tent is pretty much what stage racing is about? You knew all these things and the costs when you CHOSE to do it. As for your choice of transport, Uber rates, the cost of pumpkin lattes at the airport, where you live and your family's need for gifts, surely you can't really use that against the organizer?

I also don't think the fact that "bleeping well paying for something" is reason enough on its own to justify a moaning.

As feedback for the organizers, what would have made you a happy camper? What did you expect that you did not get?

Right on Patch.

For me the best thing about stage racing is that from the moment you check in a registration, all you have to do is worry about riding your bike. The rest of life's stresses stay behind. That race village tent is my happy place.

It is far easier to simply rant with no constructive alternatives. It does not require putting yourself in the organizer's shoes and considering all the variables, constraints and the practicality of solving a problem. We all indulge in a little self gratification from time to time, but if we want people to take us seriously, we should also be able to come up with an alternative required to take an event forward. I get that many on this forum is not to be taken seriously at all (I think the Oom was taken way too seriously by many). The trick is to work out who to take seriously and who not.

I have been thinking about attempting W2W as my first, and probably only, stage race,simply cos everyone who I know has done it has loved the route, and I am not in a position to travel to others. I think genuine complaints about bad food put a decision in place to decide how to cater for yourself. But if I came from up country and had to rely on the catered food, and it was dodgy, I'd probably also be miffed. But i do enjoy Nando's and a Spur Steak goes down just fine.

FFS Guys.

Since when is an observation (my impression) a moan!!!????

And as some of the peeps on this chat admitted, the food was not up to the same standard as last year. The Org's made a big hooha about the quality of the food, and that you will actually pick up weight over the weekend. That implies that the food was so good that you will not stop eating. Unfortunately, it seems that that was not the case. I'm not saying that the food was bad, it just was not as good as promised.

Get off you self rightious horses, and read what is said, not want you think was said.

That's it, I'm outta here, and I will be exercising my rights by CHOOSING NOT TO ENTER THIS RACE AGAIN!!!!

Criticism only has value to the organizers if it is constructive (i.e. they can use it to improve the event). All you's that took the time to complain, please enlighten us with cost effective and practically executable alternatives as without this, your complaints carry little or no weight.

Next year I will be faster in order to get to the water point 5 mins faster than my partner ..... then I can graze in peace.

FFS Guys.

Since when is an observation (my impression) a moan!!!????

And as some of the peeps on this chat admitted, the food was not up to the same standard as last year. The Org's made a big hooha about the quality of the food, and that you will actually pick up weight over the weekend. That implies that the food was so good that you will not stop eating. Unfortunately, it seems that that was not the case. I'm not saying that the food was bad, it just was not as good as promised.

Get off you self rightious horses, and read what is said, not want you think was said.

That's it, I'm outta here, and I will be exercising my rights by CHOOSING NOT TO ENTER THIS RACE AGAIN!!!!

scale told me I was 1.5kg heavier after the race ..... I will put that down to "muscle gain" from using the W2W as training for the W2W :P

I have been thinking about attempting W2W as my first, and probably only, stage race,simply cos everyone who I know has done it has loved the route, and I am not in a position to travel to others. I think genuine complaints about bad food put a decision in place to decide how to cater for yourself. But if I came from up country and had to rely on the catered food, and it was dodgy, I'd probably also be miffed. But i do enjoy Nando's and a Spur Steak goes down just fine.

I fully understand the concern, but its meaningless to complain if you do not have a practical and cost effective alternative. We also have to understand that there were 3 events and not just 1. Perhaps the adventure got the best of the catering being first in the queue, I cannot say as I did not do the race or the ride. Complaining about the food with no alternative suggestion is like chanting that fees must fall without any consideration for the impact thereof.

Do it, I have done a few stage races and it's not a coincidence W2W & S2C are the only ones that are sold out on the day the entries open. Again, what you read here on the hub is not representative of the general feeling towards those races.

On the food, I didn't hear any complaints while there or afterwards, from my partner, friends, neighbours, colleagues etc (maybe we had to much of the Oak Valley wine to notice...  :ph34r: ). And even if the food weren't up to standard, I can pretty much guarantee that the organisers will fix it for next year, this is not a premium event by accident. 

Right on Patch.

For me the best thing about stage racing is that from the moment you check in a registration, all you have to do is worry about riding your bike. The rest of life's stresses stay behind. That race village tent is my happy place.

...this alone is worth more than the entry fee...

hi, don't worry about the food. It was great actually. There will always be a few foodies around who find something to complain but the other 1190 people were quite happy. It is a big catered buffet for breaki, lunch and dinner offering plenty of choice over an extended period of time. I am 'fed' a lot of buffet food on corporate functions and events and the W2W food can easily compete with the better offerings on this level. 

Putting the food aside the actual race experience, the trails, the vibe and the village are really great.

So if you get an entry, do it! (..this is a different story though...;))

hi, don't worry about the food. It was great actually. There will always be a few foodies ...... *snip

Sorry, let me stop you there. They are not foodies, they are Yelpers ;)

Guest Lancesball

hi, don't worry about the food. It was great actually. There will always be a few foodies around who find something to complain but the other 1190 people were quite happy. It is a big catered buffet for breaki, lunch and dinner offering plenty of choice over an extended period of time. I am 'fed' a lot of buffet food on corporate functions and events and the W2W food can easily compete with the better offerings on this level. 

Putting the food aside the actual race experience, the trails, the vibe and the village are really great.

So if you get an entry, do it! (..this is a different story though... ;))

The food is world class. Nothing to panic about in any way.

The race itself blows Sani away, W2W has progressed where Sani hasnt.

I thought the food was fine but I have to say I did do this race a couple of years ago and then it was very good. Does anyone remember the prawns on day 2? So I guess what people on trying to say is the standard is slipping a bit but that could be because they cramping another 400 in from when I did it last.

I think the organising and route was great just challenging enough to keep you on your toes and not too long that you didn't enjoy yourself after you climbed off your bike. This is the big difference between Sani and W2W, its the atmosphere in the camp. Sani feels cramped and you always queuing. Where as W2W you do feel like you on holiday, lots of stalls bars and relaxing areas to keep you busy and lets not forget relaxing under the willows on your mattress in the afternoon.

So from me I will probably be back next year

Archived