Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

So, if the UCI isn't interested in the CTCT, the top riders can dope themselves to the eyeballs and everything will be fine. Hell, I can dope myself more than they do, and then I'll be famous!

You don't need dope to be famous when you already got 2 Le Turbo's.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CSA wants CTCT to apply for sanctioning of the event which will mean that the CTCT will have to pay day licence fees for every rider who does not have a CSA licence at R35 AND a race fee which R6 or R10.

Do the maths.

PPA took CSA to court over this issue and the judge found for the PPA that, broadly, CSA could not force event organisers to apply for sanctioning and therefor have to pay these fees to CSA.

The ruling did not compel CSA to sanction these events either, if they don't sanction the event then the UCI ruling should apply to those riders that participate and hold a license. JNR, Elites, Vets etc. It will be up to CSA to implement.

As somebody said earlier, I'm sure that PPA/CTCT have done their homework. re: event insurance etc that CSA normally provides.

Another issue is how SAIDS then treats the event.

If it becomes a Tit for Tat situation then we the riders will suffer, and both parties have shown they are not above petty politics. 

If it turns out like that, rock up ride with out your chip and put your ride on STRAVA to make it official.

If it turns out like that, rock up ride with out your chip

Good luck getting into your starting pen...

Lot of fear-mongering here. Simply no way CSA would be so stupid to ban 100's of riders for doing the Argus.

Lot of fear-mongering here. Simply no way CSA would be so stupid to ban 100's of riders for doing the Argus.

I think it just comes down to an admin issue, good luck to the person that will have to try and work out who had a valid CSA license and rode the Cycle tour and then some how ban them and then some how send them a fine. :lol:

Rules are nice and all but this is Africa, they are hardly ever enforced unless there is an agenda.

Take average Joe that only does PPA events and is never going to SA champs etc. He got forced to buy a CSA license at 99er, rides Cycle Tour, gets a ban, then carries on his merry way entering and riding his events as no one has a CSA list, let alone a CSA banned list :lol:

Apologies,

Rock up with your chip and then put it in your pocket....Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

No fear mongering here. Why wouldn't they ban the riders? If that is their big stick and one of the few they can use. They could be worried about a contagion with other events, which provide a significant portion on CSA's revenue.

If it becomes a Tit for Tat situation then we the riders will suffer, and both parties have shown they are not above petty politics................

Sadly, this seems to be true! CSA is still miffed that the judge said they are in the wrong. PPA knows they are right. CSA has only one stick left to use, this UCI license one, and they decide to use it. PPA see CSA using stick again in stead of carrot and dig their heels in........riders lose! 

From CSA here: http://www.mygeni.org/photoalbum/Cycling_South_Africa/reintroduction-of-uci-rule-1.2.019---forbidden-races.mygeni?aid=2919

"Cycling South Africa would like to bring to the attention of all our licenced cyclists that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden races is no longer suspended and has been amended and reintroduced into the UCI rules for the General Organisation of Cycling as a Sport (please click here for the UCI rules http://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20150216_1-GEN-20150101-E_English.pdf )

This UCI rule prohibits licence holders from participating in any event that has not been included on the national, continental or the UCI’s world calendar or in an event that has not been recognised by the National Federation, the continental confederation or the UCI.

As an affiliate of the UCI, Cycling South Africa is obliged to conform to their rules and regulations.

Any cycling event that is not listed on Cycling South Africa’s calendar is considered as non-sanctioned and licensed riders participating in such events will be in violation of rule the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden races.

All licensed and professional riders must make note of this as well as with the penalties referred to in rule 1.2.021.

Forbidden races 

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Depending on the circumstances, a national federation and the UCI may grant special exceptions for particular races or events run in its own country.

Particular races or events may consist of:

* Events organised occasionally only and which do not belong to the organised sports movement;

* Events whose format is not covered by the UCI regulations.

Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event.

The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

1.2.020 Licence holders may not participate in activities organised by a national federation that has been suspended, save in application of article 18.2 of the UCI constitution.

1.2.021 Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the licence holder liable to one month's suspension and a fine of CHF 50 to 100."

Apologies,

Rock up with your chip and then put it in your pocket....Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

No fear mongering here. Why wouldn't they ban the riders? If that is their big stick and one of the few they can use. They could be worried about a contagion with other events, which provide a significant portion on CSA's revenue.

OK, seems I have to take that fear mongering statement back..

If true, the timing sucks, surely this is something that should have been sorted out ages ago...

Ok

so I haven't read the entire thread, but I know about the mid singing happening between PPA and CSA.

This simply reads as if CSA has gone to UCI and said, PPA is not playing our game or is that listening to us tell them what to do and how the land works ... as such notify all your members, if any take part in "that other groups race" we will behave like 2 year old and sanction them.

CSA behaving like a child.

Easiest solution, man up, recognise the Cape Town Cycle Tour...

G

So who else wont be doing any CSA sanctioned races this year... Aaah, about 35 000 of us cyclists. Schweeeeeet, talk about an administrative way of hurting the sport they are supposed to be promoting and growing!

Can't the PPA be a direct affliate of UCI? Has this been explored fully?

Archived