Titanium Bikes - SA market

Origin Cyclery

Personally I love the feel of a titanium bike, it has that springy feel you get from steel, but none of the weight that steel has. I have owned four titanium frames over the years, & only 1 left me unhappy. That was a Colnago Bititan...and I think that was only because the tubing was too thin on the down tube, as I found the bike very flexible. I also owned a Colnago mono-titan and that was really damn near perfect! But to be honest, I had two Litespeed frames, & absolutely adored them. The ride, the feel, it was all perfect.

I think the problem now is that too many new riders all think carbon fibre is the be-all and end-all of bicycles, when it is not. Titanium is such a nice ride, & anyone that dares to go against the norm will see that for themselves. Yes carbon has a great ride, but from the Dogma to your cheapy carbons, they are all made in a mould. Titanium is hand crafted in very specific conditions. Thats far more exotic and exclusive than carbon in my books! As far as I am concerned, titanium is a winner every time!

Nothing would make me trade mine for a plastic bike ... ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In pound how much would a 440mm 29" axle to crown Ti fork set me back?

Quite racey that. Out of interest, why not 470 or 490mm?...

Amberdrake asked for a full titanium Frame and fork get up... here are a few pics of ours:

SKYDE 290 size M with our titanium fork.

The bike as shown has the following equipment:

Disk Brakes + Derailleur + cassette + shifters: Shimano XT

Pedalier and cranks : Rotor Q Rings Rex 1.2

Seat post and stem : Rotor

Grips, saddle and tires: WTB

Wheels are artisanal hand assembled with Chis King hubs, Sapim CXRay and WTB rims

Chris King head set

Ritchey handle bar

Tune carbon rear wheel axel

This bike weighs in at 9.5 kg

Wow! That is crazy. Unfollowing thread now, before I start looking at my bikes differently...

That de Rosa is gorgeous

Thanks, it is special bicycle, they are only made to measure and are all welded by Dario De Rosa. I waited 2 years for mine.

cool looking bikes and IMO there will definitely be a market in SA.  It's all about marketing

3 questions

1)  What is the geometry of the HT MTB frame like?  Is it slackish or more race orientated?  just my opinion but racing HT frames are not much fun to ride

2)  Are any of the frames suited to 140mm forks?

3)  Just asking, all of the steel and Ti frames seem to have the old-style small diameter head-sets?  Any reason why they don't change this this to the newer "standard?

3) Just asking, all of the steel and Ti frames seem to have the old-style small diameter head-sets? Any reason why they don't change this this to the newer "standard?

When last did you check? Many steel and Ti frames being made with tapered or 44mm head tubes now.

I agree with more HT being made to take bigger forks with slacker angles though. ala ROS9, The Kingdom Brigante, Titus Fireline etc etc...

Edited by Ryanpmb