Titanium Bikes - SA market

Origin Cyclery

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one of the titanium Victorias, which I hear was a South African branding exercise with frames sourced from Italy, from the guys who did the Colnago Ti bikes. I've seen another 4 in Cape Town.

Strong? One of those bikes had a slightly bent rear because the dork owner drove his 4X4 over it several times to get an insurance claim. I think it took something like 5 tons of pressure for engineers to get it straight again.

Cost? I bought it second-hand for R9000, which came with full Campy Chorus 11-speed.

Ride? The saddle lets me down, but otherwise she's tight and direct. Definitely a thoroughbred - not twitchy, but gets down to business, rides on rails (the Colnago inheritance, maybe?). My other bikes are steel - a Colnago Superissimo which is like a Grand Tourer, as comfy as riding your favourite armchair, and my Le Turbos which can be very twitchy, especially on downhills. But the Ti Victoria, you know you can nail it hard. Thank God I've never ridden ali or carbon.

It gets noticed. I was battling through a huge mess on Boyes Drive about three Argus ago, when someone in the melee shouted out, "Is that Titanium?". So the look is definitely distinctive, that beautiful smokey grey shine. And yeah, the welds just give me a lump in the throat and tears in my eyes.

That bike is enough to say me to the dark side of Road cycling........Please don't tell the guys in the enduro bike thread about this post of mine [emoji12]

As some people round here know I ride a Ragley TD-1, this bike is my pride and joy and would not trade it for anything. Once you ride Ti its very difficult to ride something else, although steel comes close. There is a certain, spring, almost poised to strike feeling yet comfortable enough for stage racing or a good long ride. 

And about the welds, mine was welded by David Lynskey so I don't know if thats better or worse than one of Kents frames but they are some hella clean welds.. 

I've got one of the titanium Victorias,  ........................

I've seen this bike in the flesh and the picture doesn't do it justice. It is a real beaut!

That bike is enough to say me to the dark side of Road cycling........Please don't tell the guys in the enduro bike thread about this post of mine [emoji12]

Haha - too late I've seen it!

I've got one of the titanium Victorias, which I hear was a South African branding exercise with frames sourced from Italy, from the guys who did the Colnago Ti bikes. I've seen another 4 in Cape Town.

Strong? One of those bikes had a slightly bent rear because the dork owner drove his 4X4 over it several times to get an insurance claim. I think it took something like 5 tons of pressure for engineers to get it straight again. 

Cost? I bought it second-hand for R9000, which came with full Campy Chorus 11-speed. 

I stopped reading here. I started to get really angry, jealous, frustrated and hated you a little...

Beautiful bike.

Wow, you say that with such authority you almost sound convincing. Its impossible to look at a picture of a weld on the internet and speak about its quality.

Besides, the Moots welder left Moots and started his own company, so you can't say that a brand name equates to a good weld. It all depends on that nameless, faceless welder on the day. 

The original Moots welder is Kent Eriksen. http://kenteriksen.com/

Thanks for the education!

Meh there must be something wrong with me. 

I dont like the look of steel or ti bikes. To me they look old fashioned.

I prefer the looks of a well shaped carbon frame. 

I also dont like classic (read old fashioned) cars.

I know there are many people who do though and they cant understand people who dont, its probably a lot like me not understanding people who like them :P

Oh look, its Friday!

Meh there must be something wrong with me. 

I dont like the look of steel or ti bikes. To me they look old fashioned.

I prefer the looks of a well shaped carbon frame. 

I also dont like classic (read old fashioned) cars.

I know there are many people who do though and they cant understand people who dont, its probably a lot like me not understanding people who like them :P

Oh look, its Friday!

yea, smaak verskil.

I find those alien shaped BB shells, hydroformed thick tubes and linkages that resemble the startrek enterprise the ugliest thing on earth...

I have a custom built Titatnium, belt driven, single speed 29er. It's not something that I ride everyday. It's my fun bike. The bike I ride when Strava doesn't matter (although I do still log the ride ^_^ ). And when I am not riding it, I could stare at it all day long. There is something about the lines on a titanium bike. My other bikes will come and go, but this one I'll have forever.

I bought a Victoria Ti roadbike in 1998- Stiff , Light( despite old headset)    scratch proof( no paint job and seriously bling) . One of the pro SA units got issued with them.

I have also got a Cervelo R 3 and the Victoria is just as responsive  despite an old Alu fork.

The Cervelo will one day be sold but my Ti Victoria is an erfstuk !!!!!

We are keen to hear what you guys think of Titanium frames and this option through the various disciplines in the SA cycling. We will soon offer Titanium frames and complete bikes from Skyde, a French manufacturer http://www.skydecomp.fr.  Your input will help us determine our approach to this market. For your most valued input , we will choose one lucky poster for a prize/product of their choice valued at R500 from www.performancebikes.co.za

Winner will be decided at our discretion on 1 March 2015. The prize is not cash redeemable.

Below are pictures of a couple of Skyde bikes as well as an interesting chart on the different frame materials and their properties.

Please feel free to also post pictures of your own Titanium bikes and the reason Titanium is your choice of frame material.

Cheers from the Performance Bikes team!

Have you got the weight on a top end frame with full Dura Ace / Record grouppo and top end wheels?

That info should silence a couple of beeeg mouths :devil: