Titanium Bikes - SA market

Origin Cyclery

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride Ti (a custom build Burls from the UK). Love it to bits and would buy another quality Ti bike in a heartbeat.

Edit: keep us/me posted!

Edited by walkerr

I agree with "Hairy".

A Ti frame would be an investment to someone who could potentially afford it.

Not for the average cyclist , but someone who loves it and spends as much time as possible on both road and trail.

I recently got my first real MTB. I love it to bits , and am having the best cycling ever on every trail that I can find.

Needless to say , for the average guy , a Ti frame is not even a consideration because of the price tag.

Why not sponsor a pro rider , off and on road. Get their opinions and feedback. I think you would be rather surprised how much average guys read and listen to pro cyclist reviews.

Yes , they arent all correct , and may just be flaunting the brand.

But , if a pro has given the thumbs up , OR if a pro wins a serious race or event , then it seems to carry that extra little clout.

Yes , I would love a Ti frame. But for now I will settle for my aluminium , which despite its drawbacks is at least affordabe.

LOL. And here my girlfriend thought I was joking about my bike sleeping in my bed with us.

Amberdrake asked for a full titanium Frame and fork get up... here are a few pics of ours:

SKYDE 290 size M with our titanium fork.

The bike as shown has the following equipment:

Disk Brakes + Derailleur + cassette + shifters: Shimano XT

Pedalier and cranks : Rotor Q Rings Rex 1.2

Seat post and stem : Rotor

Grips, saddle and tires: WTB

Wheels are artisanal hand assembled with Chis King hubs,  Sapim CXRay and WTB rims

Chris King head set 

Ritchey handle bar

Tune carbon rear wheel axel 

This bike weighs in at 9.5 kg

post-72286-0-34907500-1424426131_thumb.jpg

post-72286-0-01842700-1424426139_thumb.jpg

post-72286-0-44590200-1424426143_thumb.jpg

post-72286-0-62902700-1424426149_thumb.jpg

Edited by SKYDE Titanium Bikes

Regarding frame and full bike weight.... 

• Our 290  (size M) frame weighs in at 1550 grams
  • Our 275  (size M) frame weighs in at 1430 grams
  • Our Fat Bike  (size M) frame weighs in at about 1665 grams
  • Our Gravel Bike (size 56 ) frame weighs in at about 1380 grams
  • Our Road Bike (size 56)  frame weighs in at about 1350 grams

Full bikes can range anywhere between 7.5 kg to 12 kg, it all depends on what equipment you use and what your budget is. 

Should you have a "no limit" attitude then you can afford to buy the lightest and most advanced tech out there to build a super light bike. We have customers that even invest big money in titanium screws just to shave off weight. 

That being said, and i'm sure that most of you will agree, we at SKYDE believe in building reliable bikes that spend more time out on the rails or roads being enjoyed than in the workshop getting repaired because a super light / super expensive component needed to be replaced.

So with that said and given the cost of components, sometimes it's better to weigh in an extra 400 grams all the while being sure that you finish the race... and when it comes to an extra 400 grams on a bike that weighs in at less than 11kg with a front suspension fork... it ain't all that bad ;-) 

Here's a great example... you want a performant and light weight group set then hop on the Shimano XTR train !  Their product is amazing, light and reliable.

But, if you want to save some money, at the cost of adding more weight to the full bike, then consider Shimano's XT group set.

Works just as good, it's just as performant and just as reliable but heavier than it's "big XTR brother".

Besides, the money you save can be invested in higher quality wheels that will make more of a difference that a lighter group set.

Edited by SKYDE Titanium Bikes

Amberdrake asked for a full titanium Frame and fork get up... here's a pic of ours:

SKYDE 290 size M with our titanium fork. The bike as shown has the following equipment:

Grips, saddle and tires:

Wheels are artisanal hand assembled with Chis King hubs, Sapim CXRay and WTB rims

Chris King head set

Ritchey handle bar

This bike weighs in at less than 10 kg

10408602_10152529828542553_3428315491104

That Ti fork! I think I just had a trouser incident.......

I agree with "Hairy".

A Ti frame would be an investment to someone who could potentially afford it.

Not for the average cyclist , but someone who loves it and spends as much time as possible on both road and trail.

I recently got my first real MTB. I love it to bits , and am having the best cycling ever on every trail that I can find.

Needless to say , for the average guy , a Ti frame is not even a consideration because of the price tag.

Why not sponsor a pro rider , off and on road. Get their opinions and feedback. I think you would be rather surprised how much average guys read and listen to pro cyclist reviews.

Yes , they arent all correct , and may just be flaunting the brand.

But , if a pro has given the thumbs up , OR if a pro wins a serious race or event , then it seems to carry that extra little clout.

Yes , I would love a Ti frame. But for now I will settle for my aluminium , which despite its drawbacks is at least affordabe.

LOL. And here my girlfriend thought I was joking about my bike sleeping in my bed with us.

My Ti frame, which was a custom build to my exact measurements was under £1,000 with fork - ok, that is not cheap, but it was comparable to an off-the-shelf S-Works frame at the time.

So yes, it is a high-end option - but not necessarily more expensive than high-end carbon or steel.

Edit; I've had buddies buy, ride and break carbon frames within the time I've had the Ti one. So you need to factor in longevity too. .... having said that, my old Alu bike is 8years old and going strong. It just doesn't ride nearly as nicely!

Edited by walkerr

Amberdrake asked for a full titanium Frame and fork get up... here are a few pics of ours:

SKYDE 290 size M with our titanium fork.

The bike as shown has the following equipment:

Grips, saddle and tires: 

Wheels are artisanal hand assembled with Chis King hubs,  Sapim CXRay and WTB rims

Chris King head set 

Ritchey handle bar

This bike weighs in at about 10 kg

It is now time to implement n+1. Again.

Personally I love the feel of a titanium bike, it has that springy feel you get from steel, but none of the weight that steel has. I have owned four titanium frames over the years, & only 1 left me unhappy. That was a Colnago Bititan...and I think that was only because the tubing was too thin on the down tube, as I found the bike very flexible. I also owned a Colnago mono-titan and that was really damn near perfect! But to be honest, I had two Litespeed frames, & absolutely adored them. The ride, the feel, it was all perfect.

I think the problem now is that too many new riders all think carbon fibre is the be-all and end-all of bicycles, when it is not. Titanium is such a nice ride, & anyone that dares to go against the norm will see that for themselves. Yes carbon has a great ride, but from the Dogma to your cheapy carbons, they are all made in a mould. Titanium is hand crafted in very specific conditions. Thats far more exotic and exclusive than carbon in my books! As far as I am concerned, titanium is a winner every time!