Titanium Bikes - SA market

Origin Cyclery

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When last did you check? Many steel and Ti frames being made with tapered or 44mm head tubes now.

I agree with more HT being made to take bigger forks with slacker angles though. ala ROS9, The Kingdom Brigante, Titus Fireline etc etc...

Pipedream Skookum has a HUUUGE 44mm head tube and mates perfectly to a niner RDO...

ask The Flippa...

Pipedream Skookum has a HUUUGE 44mm head tube and mates perfectly to a niner RDO...

ask The Flippa...

Actually it's a 49mm headtube, but you're right, its huge. Custom headtube

AND THE WINNER OF OUR R500 PERFORMANCE BIKES PRIZE IS ....... RED ZONE. Congratulations!!

The "Carbon is the junk food of bikes" comment stole the show.

Contact us on info@performancebikes.co.za to arrange your prize.

Thanks to every one else who had there 2C's worth it has been great following the comments.

We will still keep info going on this thread including the pricing of the models in completes and

frame sets.

Cheers

Performance Bikes Team

the biggest problem with titanium frames is the geometry. They have this really aggressive race oriented geometry when that market is looking for the lightest frames and Titanium just can't compete.

Ti bikes would find more traction with taller head tubes and being positioned as more fast endurance type frames. taller heads tube and shorter top tubes would work and also assist it retaining stiffness.

I Just don't like a Titanium bike with TCR geometry and steel flexibility. Doesnt't work for me

the biggest problem with titanium frames is the geometry. They have this really aggressive race oriented geometry when that market is looking for the lightest frames and Titanium just can't compete.

Ti bikes would find more traction with taller head tubes and being positioned as more fast endurance type frames. taller heads tube and shorter top tubes would work and also assist it retaining stiffness.

I Just don't like a Titanium bike with TCR geometry and steel flexibility. Doesnt't work for me

Sorry maybe I missed and earlier post of yours explaining this, but how does a material determine the geometry of a bike?

Titanium frames, like steel frames, like aluminium frames, like carbon frames can be built with any geometry you like. I'm not sure if you're referring to road or mountain, but even so I cannot see the relevance either way. For mountain bikes just take a look a Kingdom bikes...anything but racey geometry. For road, I think Moots' road geometries are nothing spectacularly racey, even their non-custom versions. 

Also, I'm not making the connection as to how a taller head tube creates more stiffness? Titanium bikes, like steel bikes can be built plenty stiff, it's a matter of tube selection (mostly anyway).

I think that the early road Ti frames built by Colnago, Litespeed, Bianchi, De Rosa and others, were mostly very race orientated frames. This is simply because they were the top end of the production and aimed at the racers. There was no such thing as a relaxed Colnago Master Titanio, or a relaxed Litespeed Ghisallo. They were designed and built for the likes of TdF riders. Relaxed geometry came later, when most bikes were built in aluminium and even later, in carbon. The new Ti bikes come in all shapes and sizes.  Just my 2c. 

spot on DJR. I looked at the Skyde range and the only roadies they have is so race oriented I'd be looking at much light carbon options as well. Theres nothing about it that's says Ti is going to be a great ride because the race geometry already puts me off.

Ti is a softer material than steel. It's loer Younds Modulus is more suited to more alround types of bikes. Today with Carbon out of China you can have a race frame that's stiff laterally and slightly forgiving vertically for R5000-00 for a frame.

Theres no reason to want to have Ti unless you simply want Ti and then I'd rather go custom.

Theres no reason to want to have Ti unless you simply want Ti and then I'd rather go custom.

Actually the whole reason I went Ti - I wanted custom and a custom Ti was around the same price as a top-end standard factory S-Works frame. Couldn't get custom geometry in carbon for anything close to the price. Have ridden both Ti and carbon - they both have great ride qualities, can't really say one is better (or stiffer) than then other TBH. I'd still go Ti though for my next frame - having got one, I do love the look of the material.

Edit - I really want to throw in long-lasting here, but I've only had mine 3 years, so I can't really say that yet. I know of friends who have had Ti frames crack at the welds, just like steel can, and just like carbon can fracture if mistreated. I don't think you can really claim longevity through the material (rust aside), that's more down to build quality and how well you look after it.

Edited by walkerr

Big thanks to Andrew and the guys at Performance Bikes for selecting my post as the winning post. I chose a fantastic orange flat bar for my new MTB build and some lock on grips. I was more than chuffed when I had exceeded the prize money by R40 and Andrew threw this in as well. 

The goodies arrived this morning by Courier, the FUNN components look the business, cant wait to get them on the bike 

What sort of price we talking for road frame and fork?

Looks lovely, but also seems quite an aggressive geometry. Wondering if they plan on anything with a more Sportive / all day endurance geometry