Titanium Bikes - SA market

Origin Cyclery

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the guys that think Ti is a niche... I see quite a few Lynskeys on the trails and people love them so hopefully with another provider they will get more popular. 

PS I am biased towards Ti and think its the greatest material to build frames... 

I enjoy the look and feel of titanium frames.

We have 3 Ti frame bikes in our stable. Unfortunately for the manufacturers these are long term purchases for us.

It has been a long-term goal of mine to one day own an awesome Ti frame.

As another poster said: it is a long term investment, given the price.

All the steel aficionados (of which i am one - I don't own a alu or carbon bike), appreciate that the frame material transcends utility.

most of us have a connection with our bikes that rationalises the loss of efficiency.

Ti is this exact thing. An emotional and aesthetic choice that will outweigh any perceived shortcomings.

I dont even think it is a status symbol, as such, because so few people appreciate its value.

If I had the cash, I would not hesitate for a second to buy Ti.

From my experience, Ti, the best for long rides, I own one and I am looking forward to get another one! n+1

all the bikes would have to have Campag groupsets then....?

As far as I am aware the percentages of local manufactured content specifications determine whether it qualifies. However European manufacturers would be more qualified to comment on the technicalities and specifications of Euro1 cert.

I start drooling everytime I see a photo of a BAUM. There seems to be an increase in Ti bike manufacturers, especially in the USA.

Moots and Litespeed/ Lynskey has been around for a while.

Then there is Mosaic and Firefly too, all beautiful bikes.

my n+1 will be a Ti bike (budget permitting)

I like this from their FAQ's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The guarantee of your managers is how much?
Titanium frames SKYDE have a 5 year warranty, regardless of the owner. The new owner must make themselves known to the company SKYDE for monitoring the frame. For more information about warranties, please see our privacy policy.
Steel frames have a 1 year warranty, regardless of the owner.

Not limiting the warranty to the first owner is a big step in right direction. But price point will determine how popular the bikes become. Wish one could see more FS Ti bikes.

I like this from their FAQ's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

At last! Will purchase one just for this.

All bikes should work on this principle, well done SKYDE.

BTW, what does SKYDE stand for?

All bikes should work on this principle, well done SKYDE.

BTW, what does SKYDE stand for?

Will increase the resell value at least by 20%

One day when I win the lotto, I will buy a Ti bike. More than likely a Lynskey Twisted Sister... Maybe a SKYDE....

I would buy a Ti bike for the same reason I wear a Ti wedding ring. Its something timeless, durable, strong, warm and beautiful. Its a bike for life. There is something fantastic about a material that doesn't corrode, can take a few knocks and get back up again and looks ice cold cool. Blue steel has nothing on Ti, Carbon is the junk food of bikes - throwaway culture, aluminum is just plain utilitarian and boring. 

I have finally decided what I am going to spend a nice little  bonus which is coming my way. Sure its a bit indulgent, a bit lavish, a bit excessive, but life is short, whats wrong with riding a dream bike? 

Archived