Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

“@Bicycling_SA: This just in: @MarkCavendish is still riding #CycleTour2015. @ashleighcycling unfortunately won't be coming to ride.”

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to forget that the M3 is "FREEWAY" just like the N1 N2

Nope.

M3 is a municipal road under the control of the City Council.

N1 and N2 are National roads under control of SANRAL. The city has no say over it.

To the best of my knowledge, SANRAL have never been at the table as there would never have been a need for them there.

Guest Smimby

yes, with the M5 and M4 running parallel to it. The N1 has Voortrekker road, but have you seen what the N1 looks like on Argus morning? Monday mornings have less congestion, likewise with the N2, now you want to close the road? Also consider that to get permission from SANRAL will take more than just a phone call. 

Mention has been made that different permission is needed for a Freeway, but the M3 is a Freeway so there is nothing new or different to get or obtain.

People were mentioning N7, and that it is a Freeway, so I am saying it would have been nothing different to use the N7 than using the M3, as they are both freeways.

So what really stopped them from routing Norh?

Follow up. 

The Cycle Tour is not about the distance. It's about the atmosphere and the jol, says Kevin McCallum.

Cape Town - The first joke about the revised Cape Town Cycle Tour took seconds to hit the interwebs.

With a distance of only 47km, the magical figure of a sub-three hour “Argus” was on for all.

Time is still a massive attraction for many at the event, and is one of the weaknesses and the strengths of the event. No matter how far back a rider starts, they are obsessed with their time.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cycling/cycle-tour-think-about-the-fun-1.1827320#.VPgF8PmUeqE

Why can't the route do the 47km loop and then go on the M26 (De Waal) and join after Camps bay (via Bakoven), go to Houtbay and back again along normal route to finish? Cyclist are not complete morons, we can manage to ride on one road in both directions.

no go what about possible head on crashes ?

u would need to split that section of road in two

KHAMA is a BITCH. LOL. Why not have a choice either to take part in the shortened event or postpone your entry for next year’s event.

I’m going to spend more time in the pen than on the road.

With all the predictions nobody expected this! LOL

This event is going to have a major cash injection now. 

They can at least use that cash and give some back to the people who entered like give everybody a PPA Stay Wider Cycle top. 

That would cost exactly R400 x 35 000 = R14 million bucks. Say again.

Mention has been made that different permission is needed for a Freeway, but the M3 is a Freeway so there is nothing new or different to get or obtain.

People were mentioning N7, and that it is a Freeway, so I am saying it would have been nothing different to use the N7 than using the M3, as they are both freeways.

N1 and N2 are National roads under control of SANRAL. The city has no say over it.

Guest Smimby

Nope.

To the best of my knowledge, SANRAL have never been at the table as there would never have been a need for them there.

The M3 is a freeway, and the N1 is ONLY a Freeway AFTER the westcoast turnoff. So it is something they could have usd

So what really stopped them from routing Norh?

I don't think it is that simple to just swap freeways 3 days before the race? - I'm sure there are tons of red tape to work through, people that have to be informed etc

And like the N1, N2 and all national roads it has certain freeway sections and certain urban sections. People often confuse freeway with national road.

Guest Smimby

cause all the okes are now going to be stopping for free beer and food and making it impossible for the planned slow rider backmakrers to do the same. Thet should have parking maids and charge money if you stop your bike to long ...

I agree with you 100%

LOTS more people will ride slower, our whole group is now riding mtb's and not "racing" it so more people will now be added to the section where we would not normally not be in.

Argus Lite .. it's short, but you can ride it !

I haven't read all the related posts on the subject, but this is what has been suggested by my entered club mates (with a big thumbs up) saying that we all ride to the event, leaving Edgemead at 7am (we'll forgo the early start times for those that have), start in whatever relevant later start groups we can, thus giving most of us a nice sleep in, a really chilled ride with most of our club mates in a bunch, and a breakfast after ....

SO, having this kind of atttitude/spirit (and I'm sure we won't be the only ones) we are sure to see a kind of pyramid structure taking shape to the volume of riders in each bunch, with the early start groups having less riders, the middle groups swelling quite a bit in number, and the later groups a fair bit larger too. It's going to be interesting to see this all unfold against the planned logistics.

This is all good if not great...however, if foresee huge issues with over subscribed start gates at the later times if everyone decides to sleep in and have James Hunt sleep in and breakfast ?

How about we arrive there on Sunday as planned.

Start when they say start and then see what happens?

It its fast, ride fast and enjoy your fastest Argus/CTCT ever

If its slow, smile and wave boys

Amazing how so many people are getting their panties in a knot, and it seems like its mostly the Slaapstad guys