2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

Missed it last year due to chest infection , looking forward to the new harder/easier (depends who you speak to) route this year.

If you ride as hard as you can - this new route is DEFINITELY harder.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a mate of mine who is involved in events management told me over the weekend that there is a rumor this could be the last year with 94.7 as the main sponsor and possibly last year for the race period.

Anybody else heard something similar?

So a mate of mine who is involved in events management told me over the weekend that there is a rumor this could be the last year with 94.7 as the main sponsor and possibly last year for the race period.

Are Momentum not the main sponsor.

To add to the rumour, I've heard that Tanya is no longer involved in the running of the event - possibly relocating.

947 own the event, so I guess it's up to them to keep it going (or not).

Truth to the rumour.

Same reason as to why this years Walk the talk was the last and there is no Jhb Day this year. Managing large scale events like this is not the radio stations core business.

Correct, Momentum are the title sponsors, but the rights to the event are held by 947. Will be interesting to see what comes of it next year.

I think there is too much at stake to let something of this magnitude go.

Tanya holds all the IP, she runs a very tight ship and anyone else doing it without her and her team would struggle big time. She lives in Plett these days and commutes as and when required

I am in for it this year. 4th crack at a sub 3

honestly I think it is to successful to can. It will live on, maybe not as 94.7, but perhaps as Joburg Cycle challenge. Argus had its name changed last year.

Anyone know what the arrangement is wrt doing a double lap?

Do you need to pre-arrange this or just get back before the last group leaves for lap 2?

Anyone know what the arrangement is wrt doing a double lap?

Do you need to pre-arrange this or just get back before the last group leaves for lap 2?

And take off your timing chip.

Can confirm, the timing mat doesn't pick up your chip if you grip it in your armpit... Just don't sniff it before stashing it somewhere safer.  :P

Edited by MaxUmis

Why would someone just ditch the event when they can sell the rights to it and have it live on in another guise?

Please elaborate...

Please elaborate...

If someone owned the rights to the event and thought of not proceeding with it next year, I can't see the reasoning behind saying there won't be this event anymore. Whatever their reasons for not hosting it but say it's not profitable, they can't afford too, or just lost interest.

Surely they can sell the rights and have the event carry on without their involvement. They've spent years building up the event (presumably) which may/may not be profitable annually but the hosting rights must be worth something?