2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

I'd say 1000% chance the 520 does, they won't go from not on the 500, to yes on the 510 and then no on 520, they only add features.

if I'm not wrong the 520 actually gives life feedback with regard to strava segments.

G

Garmin 510 and 520 can give live segment feedback IF you're a premium Strava member

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a VERY tough choice to make.. I don't think they took it lightly..

I hear they ended stopping the race due to the heat.

G

not arguing,

Hear the decision was made on advise of medical staff.

Heard from friends that rode how hot it was.

G

Heat also broke me. Was not prepared for 37 degree heat. Rode from A8, so the bottlenecks were hectic. If you can't ride a drop-off, why the f are you riding a MTB race... :thumbdown:

So it's not only the heat - the majority of riders finished in this temperature. They take the heat, the ave speed to that point (which was 11kph or less), the terrain over the last 11Km (quite a hill at the finish) and that the temp would probably still rise.

I am sure those that were stopped would be unhappy but it would be a brave person not to stop the race against this advice.

I am fairly new to MT biking - but have done a few events in the past few weeks. I think the ride today (did 55) was very well put together. Parking, directions, signage, etc was a breeze. Also had to do a substitution entry and that too was handled efficiently and fast. I was out in 30 minutes.

The heat was brutal - did record 37 with a race average of 32. The soft sand and the last climb was fun.

We did have a few bottlenecks - waited 4 minutes for a small sandy uphill :wacko:. But that is not only the organizers fault - I had bottlenecks at all other events too. Mostly due to inconsiderate riders. Better improve my turtle seeding.

Plenty drinks, clear route markings and lots of support staff on my ride.

I recon it was a good show. Would do again.

Heat also broke me. Was not prepared for 37 degree heat. Rode from A8, so the bottlenecks were hectic. If you can't ride a drop-off, why the f are you riding a MTB race... :thumbdown:

There was a drop-off...?

Garmin 510 and 520 can give live segment feedback IF you're a premium Strava member

I am a technical dinosaur, but I can bluetooth my 520 via my mobile in the Camelback, and friends can follow my ride live. Also - I can get messages displayed on the Garmin while riding... i.e. bring home eggs and milk.

There was a drop-off...?

Probably not the correct terminology, but I'm talking about those short, very steep down hills. 

Aah, ok... That's what those are called. A drop-off is a vertical 'drop-off', from a high level to a lower level... There weren't any of those...

Probably not the correct terminology, but I'm talking about those short, very steep down hills.

I also thought that I missed out on some fun, but to be honest I came off in the first 10km when we hit our first small erosion ditch at speed. I quickly learned to compensate for the rigid fork after that. The guys in A1 must have wondered who this moron was (I still beat 50% of them).

I also thought that I missed out on some fun, but to be honest I came off in the first 10km when we hit our first small erosion ditch at speed. I quickly learned to compensate for the rigid fork after that. The guys in A1 must have wondered who this moron was (I still beat 50% of them).

The traps and triceps take a pounding........hope the rest of body is fine.

This year though it was 3 KM shorter felt hela tough to me ! maybe it was the heat…my Fenix recorder a max of 37…And dusty!!!

I still managed a better time and higher ave kmp than last  coming in at 3:01:27

Race was well organised, well-marked. I hated that hill there by steyn city where the big @ss sprinkler was going.

Really disappointed to break my chain at the start of the race. Was really excited about the race. Well next year maybe!!

Really disappointed to break my chain at the start of the race. Was really excited about the race. Well next year maybe!!

That sucks!

Archived