PPA negotiates partial opening of Chapman’s Peak for cyclists

News bot

I would MUCH rather be in the car when a 10kg rock falls on me. With a 10 ton rock, it would make no difference. There are many more loose 10kg rocks than 10 ton rocks. The nets are designed to catch larger rocks, but smaller bits will go through. A 1 kg bit from 100 m up will injure a cyclist badly but just give a driver a big fright. There is a clear difference on this road and at this time on the likelihood of injury from rock falls between cyclists and cars.

If I had to put my own signature on the document opening the Noordhoek side to cyclists, I would also want to clear the loose rock first. That will have to be done manually with rope access teams. The point being, that Entilini has to be able to show that they did everything reasonable to minimise the risk, even though there will always be a risk.

Just my logic (I'm not a road engineer) .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, believe me, it IS for your own safety. Was up there this morning on my bike (the guard said good morning and waved us through) and the slopes do not look safe. The rocks look proper loose and will be worse after some rain.

Why can't people just obey the rules and stop abusing those that try to enforce them? We were stopped at the stop-go on the way down and the guy there said they often get shouted at by cyclists to let them go through. Really guys? Just put Strava on pause and enjoy the rest.

Beach road to hout bay...hill repeat Suikerbossie...cycle home! 

It is a pity that such a beautiful route was devastated by fire, but there is still loads of good riding in the area. 

Plus, using Ou Kaapse Weg is not ideal, but OMG you guys are going to get so strong! BONUS 

Is the hout bay side of chappies closed to cyclists? I rode there today with intention of heading to lookout point and doing a repeat or two. When I stopped at the bottom to take arm warmers off the electronic board said "falling rocks, no cyclists". I decided not to take the risk and turned around- there were plenty of guys who did head up and plenty coming back down..

I would MUCH rather be in the car when a 10kg rock falls on me. With a 10 ton rock, it would make no difference. There are many more loose 10kg rocks than 10 ton rocks. The nets are designed to catch larger rocks, but smaller bits will go through. A 1 kg bit from 100 m up will injure a cyclist badly but just give a driver a big fright. There is a clear difference on this road and at this time on the likelihood of injury from rock falls between cyclists and cars. If I had to put my own signature on the document opening the Noordhoek side to cyclists, I would also want to clear the loose rock first. That will have to be done manually with rope access teams. The point being, that Entilini has to be able to show that they did everything reasonable to minimise the risk, even though there will always be a risk. Just my logic (I'm not a road engineer) .

1kg rock from 100m will kill a cyclist.

1kg rock from 100m will kill a cyclist.

It's not going to do less damage when it comes through a windscreen of a car.

A rock does not choose where it falls.

It was not Entilini's decision to have the pass closed for cyclists.

The decision was a call by PPA and Donald Grant (mec for transport)

I spoke to management at Etilini on Friday afternoon.

Yes PGWC will be liable for any claims if something does happen...thats why they took that decision!

And they would be exempt from damage to motorists and busses etc???!!

There were rock falls on chappies this morning. Car was lucky they were under that road thing when it came down.

What if your only transport to work is on a bike? You must now climb constania nek and ou Kaapse weg? When we train there in the morning we see a lot of people that can not afford to jump in a car and go through chappies. PPA has thought about recreational cyclists and not those that rely on it for actual bike transport.

How about motorists start obeying the traffic laws and not exceeding the 40km/h speed limit?

You raise a valid point regarding commuting cyclists not being considered. I am one of them, and Chappies is my shortest and most sheltered route.

So what happens to us now? Well, we wake up earlier and go round via other, longer routes, and have new adventures. Becuase riding a bicycle, not matter how far, is always better than sitting in traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the latest on this? Any updates?

There have been rock falls, cyclists have been risking it. Nobody has been injured.

Everybody is too worried about land invasions and statues around Cape Town to worry about some road that has no statue on it :P