Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

I hope that you are right on this one.

What worries me is that SANParks will now, for the first time, get a taste of what it feels like to have the mountain closed to cyclists. We all imagine that they will bleed from the lost revenue and come to their senses and let us back on the mountain ASAP. Well, think about the possibility that SANParks may just come to the conclusion that they like the mountain free of troublesome cyclists. I can easily imagine them finding it much more convenient. All it takes is for a senior manager to justify a permanent ban on environmental or biodiversity grounds. Few arguments will stand against that.

That is why working together and having respect for each other, is the only long term solution. 

This is a sound line of reasoning. Hope SANPARKS is not on The Hub :ph34r:

Nou worry ek!!!

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that you are right on this one.

What worries me is that SANParks will now, for the first time, get a taste of what it feels like to have the mountain closed to cyclists. We all imagine that they will bleed from the lost revenue and come to their senses and let us back on the mountain ASAP. Well, think about the possibility that SANParks may just come to the conclusion that they like the mountain free of troublesome cyclists. I can easily imagine them finding it much more convenient. All it takes is for a senior manager to justify a permanent ban on environmental or biodiversity grounds. Few arguments will stand against that.

That is why working together and having respect for each other, is the only long term solution. 

This April fool is too close to reality  :ph34r:

Last time I looked the Cape Times still had a letters page...

maybe try a different paper, last time someone tried to write a mtb column for them they pulled it

...............Look at Cape Nature and Jonkers - partially opened. ..............

The main difference between Jonkershoek and Tokai, is that Tokai is in the Table Mountain National Park, one of the Natural Wonders of the World with a bio-diverse flora count in the stratosphere. The management criteria differs vastly from that of Jonkershoek, which is managed as a forestry / logging area. No matter who is in charge, the above will not change.

The main difference between Jonkershoek and Tokai, is that Tokai is in the Table Mountain National Park, one of the Natural Wonders of the World with a bio-diverse flora count in the stratosphere. The management criteria differs vastly from that of Jonkershoek, which is managed as a forestry / logging area. No matter who is in charge, the above will not change.

*red data list species of fynbos*

*only surviving seed bank of it's kind*

Isnt it the case that there is an old seed bed there dating back to before the forestry activity but that the same species are probably alive and well all over the rest of the mountain where no logging has taken place? Some of the slopes have already been deforested for some time but I have  not seen reports of any red data species or anything new coming up there. I must go through my copies of veld and Flora or perhaps contact Bot Soc...

Fact is that there is a bias against bikes at TMNP that as far as I can see has no basis in science. When i queried this all I got was a blank stare, if emails can stare. So they are not even prepared to justify their own policy. Thats never a good thing for building good relationships with the people whose respect you demand.

Edited by Headshot

Ok, so here's where we get a bit sensitive.. pun intended.

There was someone who was not satisfied with the burn protocol of Table Mountain National Park so sought his confirmation from a prolific and sometimes rebellious in character scientist. This guy walked around showing anyone interested the email its contents to prove his point - Valid email or not, that's not my point.

So skip ahead to the fire and the timeframe we all rebuke as non-sensical, especially when compared to other areas.

The fires were still burning when a low-level report surfaced claiming the area would need 18-24 months in rehab, requiring Tokai to be closed to public access for the duration. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to work out that Table Mountain National Park is honouring the timeframe of this report, as it is deemed best by the man leading the project for the conservation of the area. I doubt Table Mountain National Park are forced into this timeframe either but considering the opportunity around closure for the pine removal, 18mnths may well be an accurate stab.

With the pines all being extracted in one year, the wide scale fire now lessens the burden of an ecoburn and Table Mountain National Park every year being critised by the public and others, around their ineptitude to conduct controlled fires.

Oddly, the guy backing the email is now also in the boat questioning why the timeframe is required, showing yet again that there are two sides to everything we wish for.

Isnt it the case that there is an old seed bed there dating back to before the forestry activity but that the same species are probably alive and well all over the rest of the mountain where no logging has taken place? Some of the slopes have already been deforested for some time but I have  not seen reports of any red data species or anything new coming up there. I must go through my copies of veld and Flora or perhaps contact Bot Soc...

You want to contact SANBI.

• 120 years of rotational forestry not giving seed bank a chance to germinate.
  • Fire not in the area for this duration to stimulate the process needed and remove competition.
  • Seedbank in other areas hybridised with other species.
  • Upper slopes not the main conservation effort, lower Tokai success critical with upper slopes emphasis on creating a biodiversity corridor.

General summary. The "finger" into the suburbs in lower Tokai does not exist in places where the Sandveld species grow or conservation a possibility making this one of the last possible conservation areas where they can find success. The corridor is vital to the rest of the conservation mandate of this being a world heritage site and keeping the status.

Ok, so here's where we get a bit sensitive.. pun intended.

There was someone who was not satisfied with the burn protocol of Table Mountain National Park so sought his confirmation from a prolific and sometimes rebellious in character scientist. This guy walked around showing anyone interested the email its contents to prove his point - Valid email or not, that's not my point.

So skip ahead to the fire and the timeframe we all rebuke as non-sensical, especially when compared to other areas.

The fires were still burning when a low-level report surfaced claiming the area would need 18-24 months in rehab, requiring Tokai to be closed to public access for the duration. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to work out that Table Mountain National Park is honouring the timeframe of this report, as it is deemed best by the man leading the project for the conservation of the area. I doubt Table Mountain National Park are forced into this timeframe either but considering the opportunity around closure for the pine removal, 18mnths may well be an accurate stab.

With the pines all being extracted in one year, the wide scale fire now lessens the burden of an ecoburn and Table Mountain National Park every year being critised by the public and others, around their ineptitude to conduct controlled fires.

Oddly, the guy backing the email is now also in the boat questioning why the timeframe is required, showing yet again that there are two sides to everything we wish for 

Okay so in your  opinion rehab means closure. You see I question that big time. the two are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Headshot

you have got to be sh#Ting me Deon.....

there are no hard feelings, I can perfectly understand why everyone wants to find fault with Parks. They control the areas we can ride and the process of getting new trails is slow.

It's like the aliens being used as fodder for the cause of proving Cape Nature are better suited to run this Park...

Can you imagine if everything had to start again?? Better the devil you know I say!