Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

You an me both.

Rode Steilte on the weekend. The farmer who owns the land that the trails are on has graded the road so that it's easier to get to the trails by vehicle. The trails there are INCREDIBLE!!

The term is Semigrating. Leaving Gatteng for the WC.

I see Gauteng as a separate country...

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Puts the continual **** in the southern burbs into perspective. If I could afford to live in Stellenbosch I would move. Its fast becoming the cycling Gautengers place to emigrate to :-)

Something, somewhere has gone wrong in the Tokai process.   I'm sure being SANparks it's not easy, but there genuinely seem to be more and more problems being raised than solutions.

Is it because there's potentially some serious $$$ for the people involved?   Is it because of the process followed goes through lots of the "wrong" people without any real ability to sign off?   Is it because the ability to negotiate or ask is being done wrong? 

The basics are pretty easy to understand, so despite all the "problems", hiccups and processes, it's just strange how it's continually grinding to a halt after more than a year when everyone else has just got on and done stuff.    Sure it's frustrating as the trails are a mere 2km from my house, but realistically these vague timelines and round-the-bush (alien bushes?) answers are just f*cking pathetic.

Perhaps it's time a few of us threw some cash at a proper lobby group, had a plan drawn up and I'll take it to the right people above all the "forest managers" etc.  Sometimes it's easier to work top down than through all the (supposed) "right channels".   Red tape is bull****, and it seems that all this process has is people running around with rolls of it.

If the above pisses off all the people, the same ones who messaged me saying to keep quiet about 6 months ago, I really dont care.

Progress needs to be seen.  I reckon 1000+ of us are simply not seeing anything.

There are several processes all running in parallel. Which one bothers you or rather, which one do you want more progress reports on?

It was said by a senior SANParks member in a meeting last week that an all the time this person has been a part of SANParks, they have never seen the users (our) requests get such preferential treatment. The words "bending over backwards" were used when describing the lengths senior management colleagues have gone to in order to prioritise the needs of mountain biking. Again; it's your choice whether you want to believe it or not but it was said on record, so you may even read about it in Full Suss when the article appears.

There really is nothing to hide unless it's the contents of a business case for a non-profit company that I asked you treat sensitively until the steps to proceed could be confirmed.

Maybe I'll buy you that beer and we can still discuss it in person. You still seem interested and the offer still stands.

Thanks Deon, you've been great.  I'm lighting fires (bad analogy for Tokai reference! LOL) to get results here, and for what it's worth, your PM was not the one I was referring to.

Action is an open mountain with enough trail to make it worthwhile to get out of bed on a weekend, or drive there after work.   Things take time, but it seems that bottlenecks are in the way.  Sure, things take time, but ultimately when a process goes on too long (either perceived or actual, in this case both) it shows that there is improvement to be made.  I say this without any animosity towards the team making it happen.  But it's amazing what a call to higher people in the food chain can do, and a budget towards some steps of the process.

Maybe I dont have the patience.  Maybe other places have shown that things can happen quicker.  Maybe we need to look at what's happening with a fresh set of eyes, rejig the strategy and also work on the entry of influence and the wheels can turn faster.

We need to pay for an EIA! Yes, the Park could/should pay but if we as a user group are not happy with the expedited timeframe for the current processes, we will NOT be happy waiting for budget to start the study.

NB, involving Meurant means that we do have contact with national management "higher up on the food chain". They've seen the goal, welcomed it, encouraged working through the channels and support the bridge-building between users and the regional park (TMNP). They won't from Pretoria override what is best for Table Mountain but can motivate recommended plans that eventually land on their desk. What we tend not to realise is that the same is true for regional senior management as they are ultimately the ones who make the recommendations because it has been approved at every level.. For this to work, regional management are the ones we need the relationship with if we are planning for longevity which by the way, is finally starting to show results.

The processes in order of importance; EMP revision, Tokai trails rationalisation, trails implementation and early access.

What we need to ultimately understand is that legislated procedure cannot be circumvented, the process is open to public scrutiny. Some have tried before and failed and as result taken a dim view on the processes. The only reason why TokaiMTB continues on this path is that someone has to do it and while sometimes it feels like we are shooting into the dark, we are still hitting targets.

Let's meet and chat, your suggestions are without doubt on-point.

Deon I think most people understand the process by now but are increasingly frustrated at the snails pace it is taking. As for TMNP bending over backwards - thats their version of reality and a direct response to the pressure from MTB groups, especially via the TMMTB forum and the fact that the new EMP has been driven and funded by this group. In the real world they aren't really bending over backwards at all.  Imagine what would be happening if there was no Tokai MTB or TMMTB Forum? 

For what its worth have the horse riders come back to you  on your second proposal for an early access route up to Silvermine Dam?

Its just another "government organisation" hence the slow pace

I was chatting to a policeman that I personally know. He said they dont work hard just smart, to which my cousin and I said yes, just like the council. They must be extremely smart as they take forever to get things done. Needless to say he wasnt very impressed by us.

Deon I think most people understand the process by now but are increasingly frustrated at the snails pace it is taking. As for TMNP bending over backwards - thats their version of reality and a direct response to the pressure from MTB groups, especially via the TMMTB forum and the fact that the new EMP has been driven and funded by this group. In the real world they aren't really bending over backwards at all.  Imagine what would be happening if there was no Tokai MTB or TMMTB Forum? 

For what its worth have the horse riders come back to you  on your second proposal for an early access route up to Silvermine Dam?

Don't confuse pressure with process. The forum is involved in a process which is yielding results. We are not pressuring SANParks into anything but we are looking for the most effective way to speed up the process for new/more mountain bike trails. If this is the "pressure" you speak of, then we are on the same page.

The other pressure would be one like the protest in December where unreasonable demands achieved very little other than alienating.. The only value that arose from that march was appointing David Bristow to investigate some of the wild allegations made at a meeting with the various parties, all of which he has denied exists but has a new outlook on info he was originally provided.

Re the horse riders, not followed up yet but since we are working towards other goals too, we still have some time.

Does a reed bend without wind?

Deon I think most people understand the process by now but are increasingly frustrated at the snails pace it is taking. As for TMNP bending over backwards - thats their version of reality and a direct response to the pressure from MTB groups, especially via the TMMTB forum and the fact that the new EMP has been driven and funded by this group. In the real world they aren't really bending over backwards at all. Imagine what would be happening if there was no Tokai MTB or TMMTB Forum?

For what its worth have the horse riders come back to you on your second proposal for an early access route up to Silvermine Dam?

A mountain biking version of Bill Murray in Groundhog day? :whistling:

Some well raised points Headshot. I think the greater part of the frustration comes from the need for SANParks to have the information flow upstream as it were. I think it's helpful that Meurant is involved as it helps give a human face to what we are asking for through both Tokai MTB and TMMTB. Which is why it was important that we all sent in comments re the EMP revision.

As for Parks bending over backwards I think the fact that they went ahead with the EMP revision is testament to the work of Deon, Rob & Meurant and their respective support teams, irrespective of who paid for it. It's progress and gets us one step closer to being back in Tokai. The wheels turn slowly in government agencies, we just need to be patient.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

If a mountain biker has no mountain  to ride is he/she still a mountain biker? 

no, that'll make you an off-roadie.

A mountain biking version of Bill Murray in Groundhog day? :whistling:

Some well raised points Headshot. I think the greater part of the frustration comes from the need for SANParks to have the information flow upstream as it were. I think it's helpful that Meurant is involved as it helps give a human face to what we are asking for through both Tokai MTB and TMMTB. Which is why it was important that we all sent in comments re the EMP revision.

As for Parks bending over backwards I think the fact that they went ahead with the EMP revision is testament to the work of Deon, Rob & Meurant and their respective support teams, irrespective of who paid for it. It's progress and gets us one step closer to being back in Tokai. The wheels turn slowly in government agencies, we just need to be patient.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Oh the irony, Meurant's face is mostly concealed by his beard.  ^_^