Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

why did the residents and horse riders block the opening of the fire road access?

Is this due to pettiness?

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why did the residents and horse riders block the opening of the fire road access?

Is this due to pettiness?

think it was blocked by the horsies etc. Deon & Mark know a LOT more on this, as they've been dealing with it full time. 

Good pts! I still don't understand why can't they open level 5 to Mast from Silvermine.. There is no trees above this??? They expect us to take risks to ride up busy road (Ou Kaapse Weg) from Tokai to Silvermine....

But there are trees, a lot of them and they are mostly dead. Was up there last week monitoring cutting progress.

The horse riders are hesitant to open the original route we inspected and proposed. They are feeling like they could be driven from their area where they have sanctity from fast bikes, and rightly so. There is only one access route that extends 1 km of straight downhill.

They are however open to the alternative route that allows entry and exit through the 'plantation'. I'll be presenting again on the 12th.

Is Ou Wa Pad still accessible for use? Or is this part of the Silvermine closure?

Ou wa pad has been open for about 4 months, as is Silvermine Dam / Noordhoek Loop... It's just the access to silvermine gate through Tokai that's not open yet. Need to go up OKW. 

Emphasis on almost.

Even if there's just one tree left standing on a compartment (pine or gum) or on a compartment bordering a trail or road, the contractors have control of it. Only when it's cleared entirely does parks retain control and we can get access to it.

Emphasis on almost.

Even if there's just one tree left standing on a compartment (pine or gum) or on a compartment bordering a trail or road, the contractors have control of it. Only when it's cleared entirely does parks retain control and we can get access to it.

Nah, it won't be that regimental, in terms of handover, yes but for access, maybe not. We have worked out several possible methods of entry but that said, the original proposed date for ALL pines to be removed from the upper reserve before the Elgin fires, was supposed to be end of March. Seems we may need to request one of the solutions which is to cut to a certain distance from the road where falling trees don't pose an immediate risk but even this is tricky as the slope means the trees still need to be dragged down to the road, meaning lots of logging activity where riders will want to pass.

seems like almost no trees left

12670669_10156808541765014_618102901441912974402_10156808541680014_9078922719995

The green is a sea of alien. My mind was blown! The patchy brown/grey is the fynbos left from the hacking days. Friends of Tokai/SANBI/SANParks have worked out quite an interesting scheme to get rid of the alien. By all means it should work.

The green is a sea of alien. My mind was blown! The patchy brown/grey is the fynbos left from the hacking days. Friends of Tokai/SANBI/SANParks have worked out quite an interesting scheme to get rid of the alien. By all means it should work.

do tell?

Which is?

Burn it? 

Cut lots of trails into it?

Introduce new alien eating bugs?

Convince everyone that the green looks nicer than the brown and just live with it?

Relocate the community of wood cutters from Ou Kaapse Weg to cut them all down?

So many possibilities...

Which is?

Burn it? 

Cut lots of trails into it?

Introduce new alien eating bugs?

Convince everyone that the green looks nicer than the brown and just live with it?

Relocate the community of wood cutters from Ou Kaapse Weg to cut them all down?

So many possibilities...

..very creative :thumbup: .

I know the man that heads the bug projects. The fact that port jackson/wattle/blackwood is still a problem in this country means they are still looking for that answer. Although several test sites in the drakensburg has been showing results.

No, the method will be to hack sections that show little alien infestation with good fynbos growth and control these areas to act as seeding (wind/animal/bird etc) stores. The rest will need to be sprayed.

It is THAT dense that working for 3 hours in one spot looks like you've been on a smoke break for all that time and stand a very good chance of contracting emphysema.

Is the green just grass, or is it shrubs as well?

If it is grass, then it could be indigenous to western cape, but I am sure they know.

• 3 weeks later...