Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

I've had a torrid April...first hamstring injury then just as I got over that..bam..itb...over that now and doing fast 10s and 15s to get me back ready for the end of May. Been given a strengthening routine to do twice a day and that is definitely helping.....but..it's so frustrating as you worry About every single little niggle

I was told to start very light, slow and short. But did I listen? No. Way too clever. Idiot.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I tried this running thing. First 3 runs were good. I even enjoyed them. Run 4.... Bang. ITB. Motherf**ker.

Good luck with that thing. I had some needle work done at the physio, sorted it out.

Just started proper trial running, which is a misnomer, it conjures up pictures of tranquil and scenic running through forest's and so forth..

Should be called 'mountain ( F@@king hard ) running' !

This is done on hectic 'stone garden' paths that go on for miles with just about every rock/stone looking to grab your shoe and throw you to the ground... and that's just on the flats!

Picture getting to the top of a hectic rocky hill on you mtb and then putting a 9 inch wheelset on to  it and trying to going back down fast through the rocks...that's trail running, you got to watch every stone and rock and adjust your path and foot placement instantly to avoid not face planting!

No nice 29er wheel to cruise over rocks and bumps.

That all said and done it is exhilarating and opens up some of the most amazing views. scenery, places  I have never seen in years and years of riding in CT.

It is a hole new world waiting to be explored and hugely challenging and fun at the same time.

Just started proper trial running, which is a misnomer, it conjures up pictures of tranquil and scenic running through forest's and so forth..

Should be called 'mountain ( F@@king hard ) running' !

This is done on hectic 'stone garden' paths that go on for miles with just about every rock/stone looking to grab your shoe and throw you to the ground... and that's just on the flats!

Picture getting to the top of a hectic rocky hill on you mtb and then putting a 9 inch wheelset on to  it and trying to going back down fast through the rocks...that's trail running, you got to watch every stone and rock and adjust your path and foot placement instantly to avoid not face planting!

No nice 29er wheel to cruise over rocks and bumps.

That all said and done it is exhilarating and opens up some of the most amazing views. scenery, places  I have never seen in years and years of riding in CT.

It is a hole new world waiting to be explored and hugely challenging and fun at the same time.

down the rabbit hole?

down the rabbit hole?

And top of the line racing shoes come in at roughly R2000...

Try bringing home multiple new bikes in 3 months and see how your wife feels and what your bank balance feels like!

Not a problem with running though :ph34r:

Had a kick-azz running weekend... First Safari Half on Friday, where I hurt my knee dodging a slower runner in the dark shortly after the start. Killed me during the post-10 stretch, could hardly walk afterwards. Hot treatment, anti inflammatories and perdesalf... and I was at the start of the Wings4Life World Run yesterday as well. With a still stiff knee this morning, but much better than it felt on Friday afternoon! 

Now...ehhhr... I must start getting back on my bike. 100-Miler is just around the corner. :ph34r:

I've had a torrid April...first hamstring injury then just as I got over that..bam..itb...over that now and doing fast 10s and 15s to get me back ready for the end of May. Been given a strengthening routine to do twice a day and that is definitely helping.....but..it's so frustrating as you worry About every single little niggle

Wait until you turn 50,then when u feel those niggles at least u know you are alive.... :-)

Take care ITB is often a overuse indicator injury.

What exercises are u doing that helped your ITB?

Wait until you turn 50,then when u feel those niggles at least u know you are alive.... :-)

Take care ITB is often a overuse indicator injury.

What exercises are u doing that helped your ITB?

yip - i think it is overuse...got rid of it..started upping my mileage again then it came back on Sunday/Today...so I am pretty much resting until thursday then only doing 10k 15k runs up until comrades. I really wanted to do a long run this month but I dont think its gonna happen...I feel tired and out of breath straight out the blocks (another over-training indicator)

Excercise wise - I have been given a routine from a biokinitikist

1 - side supported leg raises (3 x 5sec) - this thing with your leg bottom leg supported on a small block to make your body parallel

http://www.carolinebakker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/side-plank.jpg

2- side lying clams: 2 x 15 ITB side and 1 x 15 other side

3 - paper pick ups - which is basically bend and pick up paper with non itb side (left) raised off the ground and away from the body) 2 x 10 of those

4 - straight squats - 2 x 15

edit - i'm not smiling like that chick though

Running does help!! Started running a week ago and already have noticed a difference this past weekend.Must admit,it does suck and is boring,but quite effective. :thumbup:

Far less punctuation required in the name of this thread.

The following is more than adequate:

"Running...It sucks butt."

:)

There is a race that I am looking at entering on the 18 July (10 weeks away)

Which of these twp programs would you guys recommend me following, if any?

I am currently able to run 5k in about 30min, and getting in about 3 runs, 16km a week.

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2012/04/Run-your-first-half-marathon-training-programme-1024x868.png

http://www.theblessedbarrenness.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Runners-World-Half-Marathon-Novice.jpg

No program (for me).

Gradually increase your distance. Increase your distance by 2 to 3 km until you can comfortably run the longer/new distance at the same pace (in your case 6min/km).

Work up to about 16km. When you can comfortably run 16km then do 1 x 18km run 2 weeks before the race.

Then go do the race.

This worked for me ????

Anyone do the Slave Route today? What a tough race, well the first 10km anyway. But stunningly beautiful

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So how much difference is there between being on the road and hitting the treadmills? long distance running was always my downfall, even as a kid when competing in sports I could only handle sprints.

I've started going to gym more and spending 15-20mins on the treadmill , I can now do abt 2.3km in 20 mins and just wondering if it's a good time to get out on the road?

I also started Wogging.....

It's more walking with a bit of jogging....but I think I was shot through the knees in a past life and retained them kneecaps.

Archived