Adverse analytical finding - in competition test

News bot

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure i remember them saying it applies backwards as well...

No they were not able to apply it retrospectively.

No they were not able to apply it retrospectively.

Why not? Surely its their race they can make it what they want?

They need to operate within UCI rules. UCI feel that the 2 year suspension is the punishment. 

They need to operate within UCI rules. UCI feel that the 2 year suspension is the punishment. 

They don't though, you cannot compete at the epic if you have tested positive. You will not be able to enter even if you have served the ban. I just thought their rule would go back as well..

I'm pretty sure i remember them saying it applies backwards as well...

Uh uh

http://www.cape-epic.com/news/409/

"Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the race: “As of 1 January 2013, any athlete (professional or amateur) caught using performance enhancing substances, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager. This is harsher than what is required currently by any federation, but is our considered opinion of what should be enforced even on a wider scale with regards to event participation of convicted dope cheats.”

Vermaak continues: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past. Many riders from this previous era have rediscovered the joy of cycling as mountain bikers and participate in the Absa Cape Epic as their expression of riding clean. Previous offenders, who have served their suspension term, may ride future Absa Cape Epics. We want to be part of the new era of cleaner cycling, and therefore only future offenders will receive the lifetime bans."

Uh uh

http://www.cape-epic.com/news/409/

"Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the race: “As of 1 January 2013, any athlete (professional or amateur) caught using performance enhancing substances, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager. This is harsher than what is required currently by any federation, but is our considered opinion of what should be enforced even on a wider scale with regards to event participation of convicted dope cheats.”

Vermaak continues: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past. Many riders from this previous era have rediscovered the joy of cycling as mountain bikers and participate in the Absa Cape Epic as their expression of riding clean. Previous offenders, who have served their suspension term, may ride future Absa Cape Epics. We want to be part of the new era of cleaner cycling, and therefore only future offenders will receive the lifetime bans."

Thanks... I wonder which specific rider they had in mind when they decided this... ;-)

Thanks... I wonder which specific rider they had in mind when they decided this... ;-)

Careful, you'll get an Emma letter!

Careful, you'll get an Emma letter!

Why, I am always skeptical of big events whether its cycling or otherwise.

BUT>

What they have done for cycling by introducing this rule is great and a brilliant step in combating doping in pro mtb by making people think twice. I feel anyone caught doping should be banned for life whether its cycling, rowing, swimming or badminton.

*Edit

They should be banned from all and any professional sport not just their discipline..

Edited by the nerd

Raced against Joe at Clover Tour - he came 2nd overall in Vets. Glad to see they finally testing the vets.

He came 3rd at Clover.  ;)

And they have been testing every now and again.  I have been tested twice as a vet.......

He came 3rd at Clover.  ;)

And they have been testing every now and again.  I have been tested twice as a vet.......

My bad - looked at one of the stage results instead of GC - still, a podium spot that someone else deserved.

Looking at current results vs winning pro times my opinion is that Vets are not tested enough. Period. No finger pointing, but if you do the math, something doesn't add up.

Why, I am always skeptical of big events whether its cycling or otherwise.

BUT>

What they have done for cycling by introducing this rule is great and a brilliant step in combating doping in pro mtb by making people think twice. I feel anyone caught doping should be banned for life whether its cycling, rowing, swimming or badminton.

*Edit

They should be banned from all and any professional sport not just their discipline..

I agree with you, fully ;) I was just pulling your leg.

I agree with you, fully ;) I was just pulling your leg.

I know.. but you can never be too careful ha ha ha

No it was Russel Lund.

Michael was an ex-pro (House of Paints, as they were known then), who got a 4 year ban, served his time for his crime, and did ride/finish the Epic this year.