Shimano DEORE XT 11 speed and 1x11 option unveiled

gummibear

So keep my existing crank and NW chainring and just upgrade the shifter, RD and cassette !!!

Basically R3k for a massive upgrade.  Plus you will get some dosh for your current parts.  That's what I'm going to do.  Sell my Zee and XT parts and go XT 11.  Pretty sorted then!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the 11spd cassette will fit on the existing 10spd freehub? if not then that will need to be replaced too.

10& 11 sp has exactly the same freehub sizing. It was just SRAM with their different driver that was making it that much less affordable.

This now makes it almost as affordable to go for the 1x11 as it is to go for a 1x10 with extender ring. 

Certainly cheaper than going 1x11 with only SRAM goodies when you factor in the X-Drive 

10& 11 sp has exactly the same freehub sizing. It was just SRAM with their different driver that was making it that much less affordable.

This now makes it almost as affordable to go for the 1x11 as it is to go for a 1x10 with extender ring. 

Certainly cheaper than going 1x11 with only SRAM goodies when you factor in the X-Drive 

Surely the driver issue was specific to being able to have a '10' so the SRAM guys will always have the 'wider' range cassette?

Basically R3k for a massive upgrade.  Plus you will get some dosh for your current parts.  That's what I'm going to do.  Sell my Zee and XT parts and go XT 11.  Pretty sorted then!

Will probably do likewise although will likely wait till my cassette, extender and chain need replacing then upgrade ... as overnight with this introduction at this cost, the extender rings will become fishing weights.

Since none of them have a '10' I can't see why not?

We have had to change the hub on most road wheels to go from 10spd to 11spd... so likely will have to do the same for MTB I think... here is hoping not !!

Surely the driver issue was specific to being able to have a '10' so the SRAM guys will always have the 'wider' range cassette?

:clap:

We have had to change the hub on most road wheels to go from 10spd to 11spd... so likely will have to do the same for MTB I think... here is hoping not !!

I saw this, related to XTR but still 11sp, also some insight on why it is necessary for road wheels ....

Will I have to buy new mountain bike wheels?

No, surprisingly the 11-speed XTR cassette, with its 11-40 tooth configuration, will fit fine on 8, 9 and 10-speed Shimano freehubs. That monster 40 tooth cog has such a large diameter that the chain will not touch the spokes. Due to the angle the spokes take from the hub to the rim, the spokes are far enough away from the cog that they won’t interfere with the largest cog.

Why didn’t Shimano make 11-speed road cassettes compatible on 10-speed hubs?

The smaller large cogs of road-oriented cassettes, even with a 28 or 32 tooth large cog, would interfere with the spokes if fit on old freehubs, and if it the large cog clears the spokes, the extra width of the chain would likely cause problems.

Shimano kom nou eers uit met 1 x 11 en se hulle gooi "benchmark" in MTB.

SRAM fanboy located..... They may be late but it's much more cost effective. Why does everything have to be X is bad because Y is better. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Vangar

Shimano kom nou eers uit met 1 x 11 en se hulle gooi "benchmark" in MTB.

I wonder what 1x11 drivetrain was used to win the XCO world champs in 2014? Can you help with the answer, because my memory is not that good?

Yes they did and still do on their city bike group sets. They did have a 7 speed gripshift type unit back at the end of the 90's

was waiting for someone to mention that ;)

in the context of a new Deore XT group, I'm keeping the frame of reference to pukka MTB kit!

anyways I'm holding out for a 12sp cassette.

The one good thing that extender rings have going for them is the fact that an extender ring typically lasts longer than a cassette. This means that you only replace the extender ring every second or third cassette. This can result in significant savings while keeping the same range of gears.

However the 1x11 will always have that one extra gear within the range which will make the 'gap' between gears smaller.

So I'm running wide lightning rims on 1 x 10 slx crank with raceface ring setup. Will I be able to upgrade to 11 cassette (11-42) by only buying the new cassette and new shifter?

And i take it the current XT RD model will work on the 11 casette without issues?

Edited by Kraggie