What should you do when a dog attacks?

SAGecko

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also carry pepper spray. Then after he incident is over and I have calmed down I remember the dam stuff and think"next time".

Ha! That's funny! :clap:

I was always being chased by this one poodle , untill i rode towards it to scare it off, unfortunately for the dog i rode over him, well needless to say , was never chased by him/her again.

Is that because the dog learned its lesson or because its unable to run? :ph34r:

You stand still and try talking to the dog, this usually works and they become friendly and you can pet them and be best of friends afterwards. Most of the time just just want attention or someone to play with. 

Always ride directly at the dog... Never let the dog get a running start very NB. Great interval training at best hopefully its only one dog else your Fooked.

Edited by Stoffies1

Each situation depends on its own circumstances, in general I try to avoid conflict and direct eye contact…try turn your head in a slightly different direction but still watch them out of the corner of your eye…. pretend to be not interested in them.

Whatever you do don’t:

Accelerate, they are genetically programmed to hunt things that try run away OR

Smile…or show your teeth, you might think you are being friendly but the buggers take that as aggression and have bigger teeth anyway… :D

In most cases there is not much you can do as it all happens to quickly, try avoid riding into them if they are heading towards you from the front / side and be ready to unclip one foot at the last moment so you can attempt to expel boarders as a last resort with the sole of your shoe.

I used to pass this farm house on the road to my local forest, it’s an uphill / downhill dirt jeep type track that goes a few feet past the kitchen door of the house (euro style farmhouse) and this typical retriever size farm dog would occasionally chase me, over the years I noticed he got slower and slower until he just blaffed grumpily or stood in the middle of the track which was a bit scary if you were going back down at speed…

Went passed there last week and did not see him, nor did I see his kennel and dog bowl where it always stood outside by the door… shame now I feel sad for the old people that live there as I suspect their old hund has passed on… :( 

Stay calm.

Stand still.

Grab your water bottle.

Squirt generously.

Does

Not

Work...

I had an unfortunate incident with Two (2) - ja - TWEE, Boerboels a couple of years back. I thought: Ok, Stop (they were blocking the path), stay calm - hopefully they will calm down and you can get past... All fine until the first one went bezerk and grabbed my foot, then the second one jumped... 

Miracle ensued and I managed to get away without too much damage other than a broken ego and a slightly damp chamois (no - it was not sweat). 

On a serious note - If I think back I still get chills, could have been much worse!

I now ride with Mace... not for attackers, but for the odd pooch that dislikes my lycra!

Stay safe!

.............I had an unfortunate incident with Two (2) - ja - TWEE, Boerboels a couple of years back..............

I think you can count yourself very lucky.

Was measuring up a site once on a moerse big plot. The owner had two moerse big Rhodesian ridge-backs.

The flipping huge male was a little too quick to growl and get rowdy.

These dogs followed me around the two days I was there, big puppies really, but when they walk away and return a little later they seem to always forget who I was and go into "defend the property and lets kill the trespasser" mode. Flipping scary actually.

Best defense for them, was to call them like puppies in a higher pitched voice as if you wanted to play with them ..... very glad this worked, it was just instinct that kicked in.

Stay calm.

Stand still.

Grab your water bottle.

Squirt generously.

while urine runs down your leg in a steady stream

Dogs instinctively  attack a fleeing person. The answer is to turn and head aggressively directly to the Dog. Start chasing the dog, they will invariably turn and flee.

On one training route my partner and I started to be troubled by a pack of dogs in the mornings. On the third morning I told my partner to stop and I turned chased the pack leader. I chased him for about 500meter, until he ran off the path where I could not follow.  But that was the last time those dogs troubled us. Thereafter that pack would watch us from a safe distance as we road by. 

You stand still and try talking to the dog, this usually works and they become friendly and you can pet them and be best of friends afterwards. Most of the time just just want attention or someone to play with.

Most times this will work. I will however not try to befriend a doberman pinscher that is protecting his territory. Edited by PhilipV

Does

Not

Work...

I had an unfortunate incident with Two (2) - ja - TWEE, Boerboels a couple of years back. I thought: Ok, Stop (they were blocking the path), stay calm - hopefully they will calm down and you can get past... All fine until the first one went bezerk and grabbed my foot, then the second one jumped...

Miracle ensued and I managed to get away without too much damage other than a broken ego and a slightly damp chamois (no - it was not sweat).

On a serious note - If I think back I still get chills, could have been much worse!

I now ride with Mace... not for attackers, but for the odd pooch that dislikes my lycra!

Stay safe!

Unfortunately, when it comes to pack behaviour (more than one furball) a passer-by will be at serious risk hey

A squirting bottle will serve to chase away only one furball

Ask my wife...

On her first day of leave about a month ago she went for a morning ride on her own, got chased by 2 mongrels, luckily the pepper spray worked.

Two days later she went out again, got chased by a huge black mamba... serious.

Now she waits for me to go with (I don't know why actually...)

if a poodle starts humping your leg, kick it off...... if a rottie starts humping your leg........ fake an orgasm.

This just made my week! And yes I know it's Monday