Pyga Industries launches the Stage: a new carbon marathon bike with a twist

News bot

A lot of sensible from Iwan.

My Europeans colleagues and friends always comment how bizarre it is to observe the sheer number of S-Works bikes here. Unless you are an ex-pro or significant local hero, European cycling etiquette precludes most from ever riding anything S-Works. 

As Iwan mentioned: The Epics have very committed angles, a geometry package for the truly gifted over challenging/fatiguing terrain. I've ridden an Epic with a dropper and barely coped. In mitigation I am a very average rider, but perhaps that is the point: aren't there many other average riders on Epic who should be on Cambers, or.... A Stage?

Any notion of doubt about the Pyga Stage's provenance is ridiculous. Patrick is very highly regarded internationally for his geometry and suspension intuition.

It is a shame many South African riders (mostly stage racing brand fan-people) have no idea the esteem that Morewoods were - and remain to be - held in overseas. They are very boutique bikes. Some of the downhill frames are regarded as the best mountain bikes ever built. Unsurprising, then, that Pyga trail bikes have been returning near perfect reviews from demanding European testers since their launch.

The supply chain logic concerning price has been addressed by others. Feature for feature, I can’t see how the Pyga should retail for less than any comparable American branded frame if it is of the same sourcing (the region of quality noodles), with quality components and truth be told: cleverer, more liveable, geometry.

Nico with the unpronounceable surname appears quite happy on his stage racing
Edited by Lance Cruz

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LanceH

have a read of the article, it's clearly explained in there.

G

"What is the "+5" ?" - Chain-line offset. 

Edited by awesme

"What is the "+5" ?" - Chain-line offset. 

From the article:

"Along with their progressive geometry, the Stage and Stage MAX will be the first bikes to debut Plus 5; a correction to chain line issues that have been overlooked by bike designers since the onset of 10 and 11 speed drive trains. This is achieved by shifting the complete rear drive (wheel axle and cassette – NOT the chain ring position) 5mm towards the drive side, which alters the effective chain line from 49mm to 44mm, while maintaining the same chain ring position relative to the centre-line of the frame. Simply put, the chain line on the 11th gear (easiest gear, largest cog) on a Plus 5 frame is equivalent to the chain line on the 9th gear of a regular frame.

"In essence, Plus 5 offers better shifting performance and reduced wear on the drive train. Interestingly, this is achieved without the need for proprietary parts - all that is required is an adjustment of the wheel dish. This has the added bonus of a stiffer, stronger wheel; as the wheel dish adjusted for Plus 5 has a more even spoke tension between drive side and non drive side spokes."

From what I have heard 135mm or 137mm depending on a little tweak.

It says 126mm in the article

After another look at the bikes, they really after fantastically beautiful bikes and really go against the grain of what is considered the accepted geo for cross-country racing 29ers.

But they're really not intended for the blue-collars. 

An alloy version would sell like hot cakes. 

He does not exactly count as a pro in my books. With all due respect

At his age....  he is a pro, and the man can ride for sure...

I got to ride the stage mx around the camp at j2c - felt very nice indeed... but that is not exactly a serious test....

After another look at the bikes, they really after fantastically beautiful bikes and really go against the grain of what is considered the accepted geo for cross-country racing 29ers.

But they're really not intended for the blue-collars. 

An alloy version would sell like hot cakes. 

Isn't that where he started with the OneTen 29?

Isn't that where he started with the OneTen 29?

That's a different bike. I'm talking about the exact same bike, just an alloy version. 

I am sorry but bikes like the cannondale and specialized are proven on the world stage. I am sure the bike is great but if it does not break mainstream there is no way it will be perceived in the same pedigree and price tag is the expensive brands. To me this is one of those bikes that should grow on me. Don't like it at 1st glance. It is probably like my Mazda bakkie! When it 1st came out I thought to myself "you will not catch me dead in one of those". Now I drive one and love it

Can't really compare a Mazda to a PYGA!