Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Just a note.

You guys do know that there is a comments section under the advert where you can voice these grievances with the advertisers directly. Or you could PM them, or you could rate them.

Hell they might even learn from constructive comments.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note.

You guys do know that there is a comments section under the advert where you can voice these grievances with the advertisers directly. Or you could PM them, or you could rate them.

Hell they might even learn from constructive comments.

Just to add to my previous comments - In my experience, most "innocent" (aka ignorant) sellers appreciate more knowledgeable hubbers suggestions for advert corrections.  And they respond accordingly.  There are, however, those few that seem to take any suggestion that something in their advert is incorrect as a personal attack and respond aggressively.  You are never going to "win" that battle, so best to just let it go.

Another question, what makes a bike "Argus ready" compared to every other day of the year ready?

Mine isn't "Argus ready" The wheels need a true and the spokes need tightening and the quick link rattles in my mini toolbox. Drives me INSANE!

Another big thing that pisses me off is year model.

" I bought it in 2016 so it must be the 2016 model " - Poephol

Nee it is left over stock of A 2010 bike !

The best is when you correct them and they ignore (or delete) your comment!

Just to add to my previous comments - In my experience, most "innocent" (aka ignorant) sellers appreciate more knowledgeable hubbers suggestions for advert corrections.  And they respond accordingly.  There are, however, those few that seem to take any suggestion that something in their advert is incorrect as a personal attack and respond aggressively.  You are never going to "win" that battle, so best to just let it go.

Exactly the problem. People take it as some kind of personal attack if you point out mistakes on their side. But if you post you've got a "Fox" fork on your bike when it's clearly a RockShox, or vice versa, then you are a f****** idiot  :whistling:   (my personal favourite being a "Fox RockShox" listed under forks)

Exactly the problem. People take it as some kind of personal attack if you point out mistakes on their side. But if you post you've got a "Fox" fork on your bike when it's clearly a RockShox, or vice versa, then you are a f****** idiot :whistling: (my personal favourite being a "Fox RockShox" listed under forks)

It's also about how you point it out. If you point out people's mistakes like a dick, they will get defensive.

Point it out nicely and they still take it badly, then they are the dicks.

Try not to be the dick.

Edit: plural not censured ????.

Edited by Patchelicious

My take is rock up with the money - first to pay gets the stuff

if you only have money next week and some one else arrives with the money then its sold to the first person that puts the money down

Ratings should be done as well how else will any one know

Exactly the problem. People take it as some kind of personal attack if you point out mistakes on their side. But if you post you've got a "Fox" fork on your bike when it's clearly a RockShox, or vice versa, then you are a f****** idiot  :whistling:   (my personal favourite being a "Fox RockShox" listed under forks)

best of both worlds sounds almost like a TOP DECK

.1 The  person wanting it, but cant really afford it 

If he know its been sold, the "desire" will not haunt him anymore... ^_^

I guess replying Yes, it is available sends shock waves through the system and they see, No, it's sold. Must be the spam filter that changes words.

After you sold the item, reply to the few guys who enquired but disappeared :

Hi just want to let you know, the items has been sold. Struggled to get my price and settled for 40% of asking price just to get rid of it. The second hand market for cycling stuff is really dead. Chears

The best is when you correct them and they ignore (or delete) your comment!

That's new to me, delete comments in adverts. I must look for that.

It's also about how you point it out. If you point out people's mistakes like a ****, they will get defensive.

Point it out nicely and they still take it badly, then they are the dicks.

Try not to be the ****.

Edit: plural not censured .

I've noticed that most that fall into this category end up proving your point by their responses.  Actually gets quite entertaining sometimes ;)

That's new to me, delete comments in adverts. I must look for that.

You can't, only way is to delete the whole ad and repost it, even reactivating an expired ad hauls up all the old comments again. Edited by Skylark

snip snip snip

I the past 8 days I have received, both by PM or direct email correspondence like this:  "Is the xxxxx xxxx still available?"

I respond immediately with a yes and details on how to acquire said xxxx xxxx.

snip snip snip

So I have the opposite issue right now, PM'd is it still available and got a positive response quite quick. Immediately asked when can I come see it .... since then, granted a day and a half, no response

I have cash ZA rondts and I want it but ja let's see

So I have the opposite issue right now, PM'd is it still available and got a positive response quite quick. Immediately asked when can I come see it .... since then, granted a day and a half, no response

I have cash ZA rondts and I want it but ja let's see

Please buy something from me. It will be great to get some rondts in exchange for replying, yes, it's yours when you pay.

In the last 6 days I've had 7 of these. 1 sent the POP and got his goods next day. Others have just disappeared in the ether. Funny old world we live in.

Just saw another one..."I have a brand new... I used it once..."

So which one is it? Can't be both.