Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Is the warranty transferable if you are not the original buyer? (assuming its purchased locally from a authorised agent) 

Valid point I guess, but if it's being sold as a "new" item, I would expect some form of local support and would be pretty ticked off finding out it's a grey import should something go wrong.

Besides, if there's no name on the invoice, how do you verify who the original owner is?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I moan at you for moaning about the guys who are having a moan?

Is it also ok for the guys having a moan to moan about the guys moaning about them having a moan, or is that taking it a step too far? ;)

Is it also ok for the guys having a moan to moan about the guys moaning about them having a moan, or is that taking it a step too far? ;)

Looks, its evident, you can moan about ANYBODY and ANYTHING, no matter how ridiculous and absurd,  as long as its not CWC, even if valid.....

Valid point I guess, but if it's being sold as a "new" item, I would expect some form of local support and would be pretty ticked off finding out it's a grey import should something go wrong.

Besides, if there's no name on the invoice, how do you verify who the original owner is?

Its complicated. 

New means never used not necessarily imported and sold thru the authorised channels.

Looks, its evident, you can moan about ANYBODY and ANYTHING, no matter how ridiculous and absurd,  as long as its not CWC, even if valid.....

Don't you dare...

Especially when they at Wines2Wales :ph34r:

Its complicated. 

New means never used not necessarily imported and sold thru the authorised channels.

Not really. It's quite simple when it comes to grey imports in my mind.

Is the discount given on the import worth more than the risk of not buying local? If it's a high ticket item and you would be seriously advantaged with a local warranty, is saving R500/R1000/R2000 worth it to you? Obviously the seller should compensate himself for dealing with the hassle, but at what point does the monetary value fall short of the support of buying local should something go wrong?

However, without knowing that it's a grey import, how can you make a fair assessment? Hence my original statement that you should always declare if you're selling [unofficially] imported goods.

Edited by bertusras

You are buying on the hub at more than likely less than RRP and you still expect to be able to have a warranty claim?  If you want that peace of mind, then go buy from the LBS.

As Jcza says, new is new as in never used at that is all it can be.  

Even if there is a valid invoice, seller buys for R100 rand, you buy off seller for R60 and then you try to make a warranty claim, firstly you are not the original owner irrespective of having the original invoice and you are trying to make a claim of RRP when you did not pay that.... is that not fraud?

So many options, lets say the item is new 

Was it purchased locally?

Authorised agent/importer?

Do you have invoice? 

Is warranty transferable?

No I imported it, thats why it is so much cheaper and theres no warranty but its brand new.

Let the buyer beware or caveat emptor as our learned friends will tell us. 

No I imported it, thats why it is so much cheaper and theres no warranty but its brand new.

That's all that is expected to be honest. Then it is up to the buyer, like you say.

seller buys for R100 rand, you buy off seller for R60 and then you try to make a warranty claim, firstly you are not the original owner irrespective of having the original invoice and you are trying to make a claim of RRP when you did not pay that.... is that not fraud?

Except that in this scenario the seller bought it for R60 and you buy it for R100. The seller gets compensated for his acquisition risk by R40, however the buyer has no cover for his consumption risk, apart from the discount differential from local pricing. Again, why it would be polite to state that the item was initially imported via back channels. Most manufacturers/agents won't even touch a grey import for repairs (not even warranty related). So even if you were willing to pay for repairs, you have no recourse.

Edited by bertusras

So many options, lets say the item is new 

Was it purchased locally?

Authorised agent/importer?

Do you have invoice? 

Is warranty transferable?

To combat the grey import issue most suppliers are (rightfully so) asking for proof of purchase in warranty items.

Buying off thehub/CRC/wiggle etc. would mean no South African invoice and hence no back up in my opinion...

Hey fellow hubbers...I don't want to be THAT guy but ...!!!

What's the general feeling/rules about ordering from CRC at huge discounts and selling it for a 25% plus markup on the hub.

I hate to see my fellow riders pay so much and I recon these sellers won't honor product warranties that CRC would.

Recon there is a market for getting these items immediately and not having to deal with SAPO and customs etc. But the question is should seller be open and honest about this.

PS: Flame-suite On...

I haven't seen this overtly happening in the classifieds, which sellers do that?

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as they aren't implying theres any local warranty if there isn't.

When I buy something in the classifieds whether it's as new or 2hnd I don't expect any warranty other than no hidden defects and that the condition is as described, people also seem to sell their new Crc "mistakes", wrong size/colour/part etc, it's new but you buy knowing it has no warranty.

That's all that is expected to be honest. Then it is up to the buyer, like you say.

Except that in this scenario the seller bought it for R60 and you buy it for R100. The seller gets compensated for his acquisition risk by R40, however the buyer has no cover for his consumption risk, apart from the discount differential from local pricing. Again, why it would be polite to state that the item was initially imported via back channels. Most manufacturers/agents won't even touch a grey import for repairs (not even warranty related). So even if you were willing to pay for repairs, you have no recourse.

Whether I buy something from my lbs or Crc and then decide its not what I want and sell it still new/sealed in the classifieds it comes with no warranty, that's a factor whoever buys it needs to think about when considering whether they want to buy the item or not.

The difference is if you were running a business and that business is selling grey imports you still have to abide by the Cpa and give minimum 6 months warranty with those new goods, in that regard the Cpa doesn't concern itself with the source of the goods.

Edited by Skylark

Although I have no solid evidence to prove it, I believe I've been on the losing end of bidding wars a number of times.  Seller posts an advert, I reply, seems we have a deal, I ask for banking details and seller goes suddenly quiet - no response and advert is pulled.

However, I just wanted to say that there are still at least some hubbers left who believe their word is worth more than a few extra rand.  Found an absolute bargain on a parts bundle last night.  I knew there would be a lot of response, so pm'd the seller saying I would take it if someone hadn't already beat me to it.  He replied saying I was first in line and it was mine if I wanted it.  Worked out delivery details, he sent banking details, and I paid.  In discussion following the deal, I discovered the seller had a number of guys contacting him after me offering him significantly more money if he'd sell to them.  He declined as he had agreed to sell to me at his advertised price.  As one who still believes that my word is worth something, it is refreshing to see that there are still others out there who feel the same.

One annoyance as a seller, receiving an unsolicited SMS sans intro on a Sunday evening making an offer on an item for sale.
Then the temerity to not return a missed call voicemail or WhatsApp. 

Although I have no solid evidence to prove it, I believe I've been on the losing end of bidding wars a number of times. Seller posts an advert, I reply, seems we have a deal, I ask for banking details and seller goes suddenly quiet - no response and advert is pulled.

However, I just wanted to say that there are still at least some hubbers left who believe their word is worth more than a few extra rand. Found an absolute bargain on a parts bundle last night. I knew there would be a lot of response, so pm'd the seller saying I would take it if someone hadn't already beat me to it. He replied saying I was first in line and it was mine if I wanted it. Worked out delivery details, he sent banking details, and I paid. In discussion following the deal, I discovered the seller had a number of guys contacting him after me offering him significantly more money if he'd sell to them. He declined as he had agreed to sell to me at his advertised price. As one who still believes that my word is worth something, it is refreshing to see that there are still others out there who feel the same.

Too few people like that around unfortunately.

And yes, the guys making higher offers to secure a "sold" item, I wont even start on how immoral I find that......