Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Ok, let me try again - based on the highlighted bit below

It's not a possibility - it's a fact. Current site sponsors / advertisers / and the occasional paid for bumped advert is paid for. That is one of the ways the hub makes money. The guys work their arses off not just for the love of cycling, they need to pay the bills (and buy bike bits too).

there's no point allowing to filter out advertisers / or paid posts - because they annoy you. The reason these people pay for adverts is because they have a captive market in you and me. If the site allowed you to filter this out - then there is no return on investment for the advertisers, they stop advertising, the hub stops making money, they either have to shut up shop - or start charging. Tell me you get that - even as frustrating as it might be.

The possibility of charging dealers/shops to advertise should at no time result in us, the general user, be charged for accessing The Hub. It might only encourage responsible advertising from said dealers/shops which in turn protects the end-user (us).

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let me try again - based on the highlighted bit below

It's not a possibility - it's a fact. Current site sponsors / advertisers / and the occasional paid for bumped advert is paid for. That is one of the ways the hub makes money. The guys work their arses off not just for the love of cycling, they need to pay the bills (and buy bike bits too).

there's no point allowing to filter out advertisers / or paid posts - because they annoy you. The reason these people pay for adverts is because they have a captive market in you and me. If the site allowed you to filter this out - then there is no return on investment for the advertisers, they stop advertising, the hub stops making money, they either have to shut up shop - or start charging. Tell me you get that - even as frustrating as it might be.

Thank you. Yes, I do get that.

Dit is voor die handliggend... (in english obviaaasly ????)

I was suggesting an additional paid-for-by-dealers/shops subsection for dealers/shops within the classifieds section

I did not suggest filtering exsisting paying advertisers. I proposed an additional revenue for the hub guys that might end in responsible behaviour from dealers/shops.

And if Bike Market and the others are already paying, please inform me and subsequently ignore my ignorence

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AnythingBut

If I recall correctly, the issue that started this thread was bikes being bought by a dealer/shop that re-advertise the very same bikes at inflated prices.

I did attempt to give a constructive suggestion which was ridiculed - again.

The possibility of charging dealers/shops to advertise should at no time result in us, the general user, be charged for accessing The Hub. It might only encourage responsible advertising from said dealers/shops which in turn protects the end-user (us).

(Unfortunately I cannot sit back, keep my trap shut whilst being told off and ridiculed on a public forum. For that I do apologise)

Thank you. Yes, I do get that.

Dit is voor die handliggend... (in english obviaaasly )

I was suggesting an additional paid-for-by-dealers/shops subsection for dealers/shops within the classifieds section

I did not suggest filtering exsisting paying advertisers. I proposed an additional revenue for the hub guys that might end in responsible behaviour from dealers/shops.

And if Bike Market and the others are already paying, please inform me and subsequently ignore my ignorence

As I said in my very first reply to you ALL DEALERS PAY for EVERY advert place on the hub. Every single advert.

As I also said, that is how the hub pays the bills.

As I also said, this has been discussed in the thread,

As I also said you would know IF YOU BOTHERED to ACTUALLY READ the thread.

Then I was called drunk and product of mr zipper zoompie's educational system, whatever that is.

Remember?

As I said in my very first reply to you ALL DEALERS PAY for EVERY advert place on the hub. Every single advert.

As I also said, that is how the hub pays the bills.

As I also said, this has been discussed in the thread,

As I also said you would know IF YOU BOTHERED to ACTUALLY READ the thread.

Then I was called drunk and product of mr zipper zoompie's educational system, whatever that is.

Remember?

Dankie baas....

Now take a breathe and go to sleep. I promise you the sun will shine tomorrow

I too love this site.

I thought I was giving a constructive suggestion. If it was such a shitty one, then carbonguy could have explained it to me.

Accessing The Hub classifieds from a phone does not give you any filters other than viewing the various subsections (no dealer/shop filter..)

He did explain it to you

Yes, in his usual aggresive, crude and arrogant manner

Seems you cannot let it go. You were wrong in your understanding of how the site works, you failed to read the thread else ask in the right manner. You either failed to understand or ignore what people were telling you. You should also read the rules and guideline with regard to being active on this site and giving personal insults (link is at the bottom of the wedpage). It would be best to just drop the matter and enjoy life.

Seems you cannot let it go. You were wrong in your understanding of how the site works, you failed to read the thread else ask in the right manner. You either failed to understand or ignore what people were telling you. You should also read the rules and guideline with regard to being active on this site and giving personal insults (link is at the bottom of the wedpage). It would be best to just drop the matter and enjoy life.

A good reminder for all of us.  Thought I'd just post some relevant sections as it was mentioned that some information is difficult to access via phone...

What you should be doing on The Hub:

● Be friendly and polite. Every member deserves to be treated with respect. Positive and polite posts create a friendly and welcoming environment that all members will feel comfortable in.

● Think before posting. Sensible, well thought-out and legible posts help other members understand what is being explained.

We will not tolerate comments and behaviour which:

1 Is abusive or disruptive. This includes:

1.1 Swearing or otherwise foul language (including abbreviations or alternative spellings).

1.2 Harassment and threats: Purposely intimidating a particular member, harassing them, sending them rude or unwanted private messages, etc. Any threat or intimation of a threat.

1.3 Personal attacks / flaming: You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it.

A good reminder for all of us. Thought I'd just post some relevant sections as it was mentioned that some information is difficult to access via phone...

● Be friendly and polite. Every member deserves to be treated with respect. Positive and polite posts create a friendly and welcoming environment that all members will feel comfortable in.

● Think before posting. Sensible, well thought-out and legible posts help other members understand what is being explained.

1.1 Swearing or otherwise foul language (including abbreviations or alternative spellings).

1.2 Harassment and threats: Purposely intimidating a particular member, harassing them, sending them rude or unwanted private messages, etc. Any threat or intimation of a threat.

1.3 Personal attacks / flaming: You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it.

Thank you. Yes, principles of being a decent human being.

And yes, I did act against some of it in reaction. CarbonRob did so at first. He even went so far to flame me in another thread, yet his behaviour and comments are excused, even justified and encouraged (please, I am not saying by you - just in general)

I MADE A SIMPLE SUGGESTION THAT IN ABSOLUTELY NO WAY HAVE ANY FORM OF NEGATIVE IMPACT ON HIS BUSINESS.

I suggested to have the resellers (those that have for instance more than three ads running) split from the general public in the classifieds. And to have the resellers paying for their adverts just because they are in it for profit...

Anyway, all is good. I think I will take a break from this "community".

Edited by AnythingBut

A good reminder for all of us. Thought I'd just post some relevant sections as it was mentioned that some information is difficult to access via phone...

Hells bells. I must be a very naughty 12 year old boy then.

Only thing I never did was pm the box who annoyed me.

And yes, I did act against some of it in reaction. CarbonRob did so at first. He even went so far to flame me in another thread, yet his behaviour and comments are excused, even justified and encouraged (please, I am not saying by you - just in general)

Anyway, all is good. I think I will take a break from this "community". 

I can't comment on what happened in the other thread, but I really don't think that anyone was encouraging the inappropriate behaviour on this thread (on either side).  I think whatever "support" was given was in reference to the point being made.

Unfortunately, due the fact that it was interlaced with personal comments, I think whatever constructive feedback was being offered was lost (on both sides).  In simpler terms, the WHAT was being said was missed because of HOW it was said.

On a lighter note, as a self admitted pedantic who does get annoyed by all the "breaks" for sale in the classifieds, it is refreshing to see a hubber use that spelling of the word in its proper context. ;)  Although it is disappointing that one feels that it is necessary to make that choice.

Usual insomnia last night so read the hub. Was intrigued by the reference to zipper zoompie education as had never heard the expression. Decided to Google it, didn't realise that Google had automatically changed it to zipper  zombie when I looked in the results.....  :eek:

Edited by Red Robin

A real question, why does "BikeMarket type" adverts annoy you guys so much?

I don't think it is the type of advert that annoys people so much as the MO of that particular seller.  Not making a statement about whether it is right or wrong, just saying that is the cause of the annoyance in my understanding.

Accessing The Hub classifieds from a phone does not give you any filters other than viewing the various subsections (no dealer/shop filter..)

Actually not true. All filtering possible. Your problem is Tapatalk not your phone.