Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

How sure are you on not needing a permit for Black hill. Isn't it a part of the TMNP?

Positive - the New trail is on city of capetown land.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive - the New trail is on city of capetown land.

Ok cool. Look forward to giving it a go when I'm back. Will also happily make a donation to help with maintenance costs - again once I'm back as Absa's internet banking isn't the greatest ito user friendliness.

City of Cape Town owns the land where the new trails have been built, but it's a small piece of land.  If you venture further up and into the Roodeberg conservancy (at the top of Black Hill) that's owned by SAN Parks and you need to have your activity permit.

If you don't have a permit, there's still fun to be had by going up and down though - there's a dedicated 'up' track.

11393139_10152917285343359_1263723413595

10559782_10153211119951077_5503964630646

But also remember that they're still being built!  So don't flood the place expecting perfection...

11542108_10152953911658359_1841477671429

the earth is 4,500,000,000 years old. will all of this even matter another 4.5billion years from now? NO.

Land ownership is a myth. it belongs to no one, time has proven that. 

my point, ride where you want.

I'm coming to wash my bike in your kitchen.

what beer should i get?

alcohol? who woulda thunk it? beware the okes with beards and knives......

City of Cape Town owns the land where the new trails have been built, but it's a small piece of land. If you venture further up and into the Roodeberg conservancy (at the top of Black Hill) that's owned by SAN Parks and you need to have your activity permit.

If you don't have a permit, there's still fun to be had by going up and down though - there's a dedicated 'up' track.

But also remember that they're still being built! So don't flood the place expecting perfection...

Looks awesome dirtypot! Not expecting perfection yet as it's a work in progress but these pics have got me amped! Second July needs to roll around soon soon!

Yes activity permit needed if riding across the top towards the dams at Redhill.

Also check out the Blackhill MTB group on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053189491377763/?fref=ts

City of Cape Town owns the land where the new trails have been built, but it's a small piece of land.  If you venture further up and into the Roodeberg conservancy (at the top of Black Hill) that's owned by SAN Parks and you need to have your activity permit.

But also remember that they're still being built!  So don't flood the place expecting perfection...

• 2 weeks later...

Could we please have an update on when this trail will be open and legal to ride ?

I remember reading that it would be opened in June/July is this still the case ?

Thanks.

Edited by kellyslater

Based on an email newsletter from  Table Mountain Bikers I received today, Rob requested a meeting with SANP re the Cecelia trail 2 weeks ago but has had no response so far. 

Maybe TMNP should have a look at what the Western Cape government, Wesgro, local municipalities and private stakeholders are doing in other areas for cyclists

See article below;

Cape Town wants to lure cycling tourists

It's a new cycling project on a scale yet to be seen in South Africa. A proposal to connect Cape Town to Plettenberg Bay with a single, safe and scenic continuous track for riders was unveiled by MEC of Economic Opportunities Alan Winde yesterday.

http://www.iolproperty.co.za/roller/news/resource/2015_06_cape_cycle_route.jpgClick here for larger map

Local cycling organisations have backed the plan, saying the large-scale project - which is set to stretch over 520km - would position Cape Town as the cycling capital of Africa.

The development of the new route is being driven by the Western Cape government, Wesgro, local municipalities and private stakeholders in the region. And while it is still in an early stage, with audits to assess what would bring the vision to life, the aim is to spawn a new so-called "cycling economy" as the influx of tourists provides a boom for local businesses and creates a myriad new jobs, said Winde.

As part of the process, those backing the project will be looking into how they can use existing tracks in the area between Cape Town and Plettenberg Bay and incorporate them as part of the route. The complete route is part of a five-year plan with the first 160km phase between Plettenberg Bay and Mossel Bay set to be completed by 2017.

"Our goal is to expand opportunities for the private sector to invest and create jobs. This project opens up the possibility of growing the cycling economy - including in accommodation, bike servicing and restaurants - along the full length of the route."

He added that through the route, the aim was to link two of the region's most scenic towns and draw more visitors to some of the Western Cape's lesser explored areas.

"The route will act as a catalyst drawing visitors to the region, who will in turn explore areas surrounding the cycling route. This increased economic activity will drive new employment opportunities for residents."

Pedal Power Association chairman Steve Hayward told the Cape Argus his organisation was "fully behind" the proposal.

"This is the kind of thing we have been driving for, for years," he said yesterday.

The Association is behind one of Cape Town's biggest tourist attractions, the Cape Town Cycle Tour, which is sponsored by the Cape Argus, Pick n Pay and Momentum. Last year it was revealed that the timed race generated around R450 million for the economy.

The Absa Cape Epic, the annual mountain biking event which takes place in the Western Cape's country side, generates a further R218m for the economy.

Hayward said the figures pointed to the fact that cycling was the "Cinderella of sport" in South Africa.

"It's growing so quickly and more and more people are interested becoming part of it."

He pointed to the cycle paths in Table View, saying that they were packed with riders every weekend.

"This new route has the potential to really put us on the map."

Hayward expected riders from over the world to flock to the route as they sought to scratch having done the "Cape-to-Plett" off their lists.

He said the Association was more than willing to not only lend their expertise during the route's early days, but also get in early and invest in the project.

Wesgro chief executive Tim Harris said the plan was for the route to accommodate experienced and beginner cyclists, with the aim of including challenging mountain trails, scenic forest single tracks, jeep tracks and roads.

Even unused sections of railway could be transformed for cyclists.

Winde said the development of the track was part of a bigger cycling tourism strategy.

He said cycling events generated over R700m for the Western Cape's economy each year. "Visitors travel from across the world to participate in these flagship events. We envisage that this route will have the same global appeal."

The project is part of a bigger goal of attracting 100 000 cycling tourists to the province every year.

Cape Argus

Posted at 08:19AM Jul 03, 2015 by Editor in Cape Town  |

Based on an email newsletter from  Table Mountain Bikers I received today, Rob requested a meeting with SANP re the Cecelia trail 2 weeks ago but has had no response so far. 

That  tends to happen when people get pissed off with you ? :ph34r:

That  tends to happen when people get pissed off with you ? :ph34r:

More likely because they're trying to hide, because they haven't done ANYTHING and have been sitting on their hands the whole time.

More likely because they're trying to hide, because they haven't done ANYTHING and have been sitting on their hands the whole time.

Ya I think that's more the reason why