Cyclist killed on R44

CleatsnCleavage

It is terribly sad, and as a cyclist and family man myself I can only imagine the immense pain and sene of loss the family must be dealing with.

I agree with Slowbee though, it is highly likely that this is an honest accident. Don't even tell me for one second you NEVER take your eyes off the road when driving? I mean, seriously, are you concentrating at 100% capacity, for 100% of the time when you drive your bakkie? You never look down to adjust the radio, or turn up the aircon temperature? You never look down to pick up your protein-shake-epo and take a sip? And you have obviously never been in the wrong in an honest car accident, even when there has been no loss of life.

All the above is very legal to do, not breaking the law. Accidents happen all the time. So I suggest we all get off our high horses and you with no sin cast the first stone!

It is unfortunate and very sad that our beautiful sport is on the short end of the stick when it comes to accidents though. But we are sharing the road with machines that is many times our size. P=mv

My condolences to the family, this is very sad. I agree with you, it was an accident (on face value anyway). To say lock the guy up and throw away the keys is a bit stupid imo. How can you justify "ending" someone's life for a honest mistake.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this on the Botlery road the morning of the Burger road race, if so I know who stopped and help you first on the scene. Yes he was drunk and we locked him in the vehicle, other wise My mate would`ve really caused him harm.

No the Burger was on the 30 of November if I remember correctly. Good on your mate :D

My condolences to the family, this is very sad. I agree with you, it was an accident (on face value anyway). To say lock the guy up and throw away the keys is a bit stupid imo. How can you justify "ending" someone's life for a honest mistake.

How can you justify ACTUALLY ending someone's life for some food?

Let's be honest. He was reaching down for a long time. Normal people who need to reach for food, adjust a mirror, etc. will look ahead, see no hazard, and proceed with caution (however wrong it is). But this guy clearly didn't care, or was down there for a long long time.

Very sad to hear R.I.P

People, when we are driving cars we are automatically a liability to everyone else as well as ourselves and our passengers. Please do not take driving lightly. From the time that we are behind the wheel to the time that we reach our destination we have a responsibility to get from A to B with out incident. 

We are not special, everyone has a right to use the road, respect life and have good faith in others. Tolerance is key! 

Was this on the Botlery road the morning of the Burger road race, if so I know who stopped and help you first on the scene. Yes he was drunk and we locked him in the vehicle, other wise My mate would`ve really caused him harm.

Hi, no my accident happened on the 5th of October just outside Stellenbosch. We just did Helshoogte and were on our way back to Bottelary road. The driver did not even slow down, never mind stopping.

I ask again.

Did the driver stop at the scene, or did he drive away?

Seems to be conflicting reports regarding this.

Ja, there does seem to be conflicting stories. Will ask around.

Hate seeing threads like this.

That road is busy with cars and bikes. I would not cycle on it if I could avoid it. Its 2 x lanes, is wide and drivers think its a free way.

Time they put low kerb stones along the yellow line areas if that would stop people wandering into them? 

Do cars hit cyclists on gravel or grass verges?  I always ride on the gravel or pavements in my area thinking I am safe. Wonder what the stats are?

Ja, there does seem to be conflicting stories. Will ask around.

The bakkie was still standing there with a smashed windscreen when we drove past there on the way to Eden at around 8H50 yesterday morning.   

RIP Coenraad and thoughts to your family. 

Malice needs intent and we don't have that here.

We have criminal negligence on the face of it, and but for the grace of God, there go I (which is a neat trick for an atheist).

There's times when I'm distracted and things happen.  I've not had an accident in over 20 years; but I did have a very irate moped rider to apologise to when I turned right once and really didn't see him. 

I would have been culpable but 99.9% of the time, us criminals get away with it and nothing happens when we're distracted / not looking.

Condolences to the family.

that's it lawyer the driver up and find excuses for him (its easy when its not you and doesn't affect you )

in the mean time the cyclist is dead

who stands up for justice for him and his family

there are no "accidents" only stupid behaviour in cars that no one is ever held responsible for ..

that's it lawyer the driver up and find excuses for him (its easy when its not you and doesn't affect you )

in the mean time the cyclist is dead

who stands up for justice for him and his family

there are no "accidents" only stupid behaviour in cars that no one is ever held responsible for ..

what is justice to you, and what is it to you if it was a genuine accident?