ScottCM

Some advice needed for our seconders on Comrades this year....assuming they will want to see us 3 times along the route (and then at the finish obviously). From a nutrition point of view I'd imagine I only need to seem them at around 30kms and then again at 60kms so third "visit" will be purely a cheerleading one.

We're staying in PMB on Sat night...where are the best places along the route for them to meet us? All recommendations and past experience welcome.

If you stop at the Cato ridge petrol station you can walk up a little path to the route and meet then at the start of the flats. Next point is alverstone which you cannot attack from shongweni off ramp using back roads. Gets busy but a great spot just after halfway and perfect to get nutrition in before the big down hills

Both can be googled

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a new set of running shoes... First "run" in them was on Tuesday pm, a chilled entry back into things. I've got weird feet in that they're quite wide, and I have a high in-step so finding a good fit in a reasonable shoe was a nightmare. 

the solution: 12 1/2 UK in 2E. First run was great, but i'm taking it easy. 2 min run, 2 min walk for 30 min. Then a 30 min walk after that. Don't want to go into it too fast. Last time I overdid it, my knee flared up again and was bloody sore. 

new-balance-men-s-1260v7-running-shoes-t

If you stop at the Cato ridge petrol station you can walk up a little path to the route and meet then at the start of the flats. Next point is alverstone which you cannot attack from shongweni off ramp using back roads. Gets busy but a great spot just after halfway and perfect to get nutrition in before the big down hills

Both can be googled

Not the traditional Camperdown, Drummond, Pinetown, Finish?

Just finished plotting the Comrades route on Strava. Distance is out slightly but anyway, it gives a decent idea of the terrain. I'm scared now.

https://www.strava.com/routes/13088585

Barry, I guess you can easily edit the route?  What is the elevation gain over the first half?

Not the traditional Camperdown, Drummond, Pinetown, Finish?

Camperdown is quite busy. Drummond is a nightmare. I like alverstone because it's when you've just pulled out the climb from Drummond and you need some mental support

Camperdown is quite busy. Drummond is a nightmare. I like alverstone because it's when you've just pulled out the climb from Drummond and you need some mental support

Thanks will do some google mapping to see how far along the route those points are. Might be better for them than to rather hack a traffic jam which is always very stressful for the spectators

Barry, I guess you can easily edit the route? What is the elevation gain over the first half?

Ja, I suppose I can just duplicate it and then delete the second half. I'll do that tonight and post another link.

There you go, Jackes. 740m of climbing (or roughly two Pirates half marathons for the Joburg folk). Good reason to be cautious over the first half.

https://www.strava.com/routes/13415528

Bloody hell....  I was expecting something like this.   So much more reason to make sure you do not go out ever slightly too fast!!!  

Now I'm really going to be a pain in the butt, but could you just extend this to 50km?

Thanks Barry

Edited by Jackes

There you go, Jackes. 740m of climbing (or roughly two Pirates half marathons for the Joburg folk). Good reason to be cautious over the first half.

https://www.strava.com/routes/13415528

You do pretty much 960m of the 1200m Total by the 55km mark at the Top of Heartbreak hill in Hillcrest.

Hold your nerve and legs until there and you can run a big negative split