ScottCM

Its my first full marathon in Cape Town this Sunday...so excited...im just aiming to finish and see if I enjoy the longer distances...cant wait. Im a trail runner at heart so when I asked my husband if I could run with my phone to take photos...I got the "are you mad"  look...so guess that answers that so il have to rely on event photographers and have no excuse to stop and rest.. ^_^

Why not run with your vest and keep your own phone with you for rest excuses photo opportunities  :devil:

But seriously, best of luck and hope you have an amazing day. 

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Candz, just enjoy it! And bugger the rest, take pics. You'll never again run a first marathon! I run (and ride) with my phone and often can be found in the middle of "races" taking pics. You should've seen me on (esp.) my first Oceans!  :whistling: 

All the best, enjoy it - and I want to see some of YOUR pics on this thread afterwards... 

Thanks Guys...I kinda cant wait but also wish it was done...there is a large Hilton Harrier contingent heading down and there are 4 of us doing our first marathon so its going to be quite festive.  I never thought Id be doing a first marathon at 50!

Thanks Guys...I kinda cant wait but also wish it was done...there is a large Hilton Harrier contingent heading down and there are 4 of us doing our first marathon so its going to be quite festive.  I never thought Id be doing a first marathon at 50!

Peak endurance age... 

Its my first full marathon in Cape Town this Sunday...so excited...im just aiming to finish and see if I enjoy the longer distances...cant wait. Im a trail runner at heart so when I asked my husband if I could run with my phone to take photos...I got the "are you mad"  look...so guess that answers that so il have to rely on event photographers and have no excuse to stop and rest.. ^_^

Enjoy it... and seriously take pics! I take dozens at every race and have never regretted it for a second! We're getting older and our memories are not what they always were  :thumbup: 

And 'little rest stops' never hurt anyone either

Have a good one, Candz. First one is hard but also a great delight. Definitely take the phone, you'll have some great memories to post.

Best of luck to all Cpt marathon entrants(including me). Once again, I'll be hoping to go for a C seeding for Comrades but I haven't been feeling great. On the day, it may just come together. See you all out there. It should be fun.

Here’s to hoping all of us make our targets. My legs are feeling tired after this week of tapering, lets hope they wake up tomorrow with the rest of me.

So how did everyone’s race work out? Mine fell apart at about 25km’s. Was going along merrily hitting my targets and all of a sudden my gut just refused to work with me. Cramps and extreme heartburn. Had to resort to walking lots more than I planned and also sucking down water in an effort to try and get the heartburn sorted which of course led to a sloshing, uncomfortably full stomach. Really disappointed thought I had finally sorted out my nutrition issues with the Tailwind. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Managed to crawl over the line in 03:45 when I had thought a sub3:30 was on the table. Everyone around me cannot understand why I’m so disappointed in that as it is not that bad a time but ja, really hoped to do much better.

Edited by Ronniek

So how did everyone’s race work out? Mine fell apart at about 25km’s. Was going along merrily hitting my targets and all of a sudden my gut just refused to work with me. Cramps and extreme heartburn. Had to resort to walking lots more than I planned and also sucking down water in an effort to try and get the heartburn sorted which of course led to a sloshing, uncomfortably full stomach. Really disappointed thought I had finally sorted out my nutrition issues with the Tailwind. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Managed to crawl over the line in 03:45 when I had thought a sub3:30 was on the table. Everyone around me cannot understand why I’m so disappointed in that as it is not that bad a time but ja, really hoped to do much better.

That's a tough break Ronnie! Better luck next run.

Speaking of tough breaks, yesterday I picked up a groin strain(at least I think that's what it is) halfway through my weekly 10k TT. Damn it! Came out of nowhere, and pulled me up inside of 10m. And that was it. Had to walk out.

Tried some Voltaren and Arnica, then went out again this morning for the 25k. No way, less than 1k and I knew it wasn't going to work. Headed for home (walking). Long list of expletives.

So now I guess it's a bit of rest and some stretches and strengthening exercises, and hopefully later this week I can resume running.

Anyone else with experience of rehab?

Speaking of tough breaks, yesterday I picked up a groin strain(at least I think that's what it is) halfway through my weekly 10k TT. Damn it! Came out of nowhere, and pulled me up inside of 10m. And that was it. Had to walk out.

Tried some Voltaren and Arnica, then went out again this morning for the 25k. No way, less than 1k and I knew it wasn't going to work. Headed for home (walking). Long list of expletives.

So now I guess it's a bit of rest and some stretches and strengthening exercises, and hopefully later this week I can resume running.

Anyone else with experience of rehab?

Groin is the worst. I've picked up a few especially in the good old days at (attempted) track sprints. I remember it taking couple weeks to come 100%, just by cutting way down, you can very quickly feel when its not right - as I think you did. And theres no point to push through.

I'd be careful with stretching in the beginning, you could just re-stress the strain. Ice, anti-inflams, and yes eventually strength stuff only when its feeling better but not quite runable yet.

Had a great CT marathon, did my sub 3:30hr :D .  Weather was good for running apart from the headwind.

Started in B at the front and the pace for the first 5kms was faster than I wanted but felt ok.  Then got comfortable easy running at my pace and felt good.  Around the 12km mark a group of four athletes, 2 from eThekwini Athletics club came past at a pace slightly above my goal, so decided to sit on their heals and stay with them.  They ran at a very consistent pace and we went through half way in 1:41hrs.  Slightly above my goal, but was feeling comfortable, so stuck with them. 

At around 30kms we hit the headwind at Rondebosch common and the pace dropped.  Then again around the 33km as we headed back to CT and into the headwind.  I think the small group were targeting the sub 3:30 although I was getting concerned that the pace had slowed twice, so decided to push on and leave the group and try to stick to my own pacing to finish. 

The last few kms I found hard, that little rise into the CBD and over the bridge hurt but my time was under and knew I would finish under my goal time even if I took it easy.  Almost sprinted the last 1.5km or so and finished with a 3:24hr, so well happy with my training up to the race, the race itself and the decision to push a little harder during the race and stay with the small group for most of the run.

Hard luck Ronnie - never nice when you don't hit a goal, but that's still a rock solid time.

Well done Shaper - you seem like a well oiled machine that just does the ground work right and hit's  those goals like clockwork.

Well done to Daniel and Stu who I saw both did cracking times as well - you guys are animals