ScottCM

okay so after a very long time of not riding or running, I have started running. Not very fast, and keeping the pace very slow so that I can run 20 min. 

Question is why o why, would my shin muscle on the left leg start cramping???? 

I did not even know that that can cramp!!!

Could be shoes, hip misalignment, anything. Most common reason would be trying to do too much, too soon and not enough rest days. Even 20 minutes is a long stretch after 0kms.

I was in the same boat earlier this year and started by doing the C25K program. The first week you do more walking than running and you'll think "this is dumb, I'll never get to 5k or 30 minutes non-stop in 9 weeks", but it picks up while giving you enough recovery time and a surprising increase in speed and distance.

My average week now is 50-60kms and last Saturday I ran a personal 10k TT with a couple of km sectors in the high 4minute zone for the first time (that really pleased me!).

Bottom line: don't do too much too quickly. And check out the YouTube running channels - lots of useful advice there.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Races with no substitution policy make the moer in.

If the race is sold out, there is surely no financial loss to the race. Some admin fee to change a name and some details.

Would those be covered under the cpa?

its stupid not having substitutions cos people will just run in others numbers and in emergency situations this is dangerous

its stupid not having substitutions cos people will just run in others numbers and in emergency situations this is dangerous

and just immoral.

you have sold someone a spot. they don't use it.

now you want to sell it twice?

Maybe O'Hanlon's razor applies here: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

However, I'm not suggesting the organisers are stupid, but rather that they may not have the capacity or a system in place for substitutions.

Being serious and being a silver runner are two different things!

Exactly. Seeing some of the extravagant warmups at races is always an eye opener.

Maybe O'Hanlon's razor applies here: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

However, I'm not suggesting the organisers are stupid, but rather that they may not have the capacity or a system in place for substitutions.

you mean like an email account, a spreadsheet and someone to drive both?

I'm talking about a months before a race. on the day - hell no.

Anybody here doing the RAC Tough One after the 947?How easy is it to hit your normal race ( 4:15/km) pace after 947? 

you mean like an email account, a spreadsheet and someone to drive both?

I'm talking about a months before a race. on the day - hell no.

Put that way, yes it doesn't take much in the way of a system.

Did anyone here do the Alberton 10 or 21.1Km today?

Living 700m from the start is great, and running on roads I train on also makes it easier to keep going. Improved my PB by just under a minute, after a slow-ish start - and also had my first negative split in a race.

Wow.. More negative stores coming out about Salazar and Nike

I watched this last week, between this and the trans athletes I would seriously think twice about the idea of a daughter following her dreams to be a professional athlete. Absolutely sad to see.

Did anyone here do the Alberton 10 or 21.1Km today?

Living 700m from the start is great, and running on roads I train on also makes it easier to keep going. Improved my PB by just under a minute, after a slow-ish start - and also had my first negative split in a race.

I did and I think it's high time races banned headwinds. I did the inverse to you and had a rare positive split race. I think I underestimated how taxing the first 10km was and didn't manage my effort properly. The final 11km sucked pretty bad. It was a brilliant course, though. Well done on your PB.

Anybody here doing the RAC Tough One after the 947?How easy is it to hit your normal race ( 4:15/km) pace after 947? 

It's a tough course... lots and lots of hills. Unless you are very strong on the hills, I would add 5% at least to your usual 21km pace.

Recovery wise you should have enough time to get back near to 100% after Ride Joburg

How's this for irony... I had some minor niggles and decided to ride on Saturday to check them out, rather than run. Status quo, so ride was on again yesterday. First time I rode back-to-back on a weekend since 2017 W2W! And then... riiight towards the end I had a reasonably high-speed bike-ride separation. Bike is okay! 

Now I can't even feel my niggles compared to the stiffness (and I know I was freakin lucky having walked away like I did...) creeping in. Will hopefully get the chance to go spin some soreness out tonight. Well, it won't help the upper body areas, but at least hips and glutes will get some light work done.

I did and I think it's high time races banned headwinds. I did the inverse to you and had a rare positive split race. I think I underestimated how taxing the first 10km was and didn't manage my effort properly. The final 11km sucked pretty bad. It was a brilliant course, though. Well done on your PB.

That headwind when turning left after WP1 (along the spruit) was brutal, as was running on the rugby field at the end.

On another topic, with so many boxes provided for rubbish, it was amazing how many people will still drop their sachets on the route. At least the organizers cleaned up the route - especially outside my place which was a few hundred strides after the last water point.