ScottCM

Any suggestions WRT carrying apparatus etc. it's gonna be a couple of gels but it becomes bulky when taking 4-5hrs into account.

Hi Jigghead

We wear Nathan Hip belts that can carry Gels and Vitaforce tablets. There was sufficient space for 11 gels and packet of tablets for last year's Comrades (we took 11h51 - maximum value for money) ;)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've been contemplating my nutrition needs for 1st November and have a plan that works well for me on long rides, should be good for a long run too? My problem is that carrying all that cr@p around on a run is cumbersome. 

Any suggestions WRT carrying apparatus etc. it's gonna be a couple of gels but it becomes bulky when taking 4-5hrs into account.

Trick one....when you sow you ASA number on your vest..sow it so it makes two "pockets" that you can stick a few things in

On a marathon i take:

a few jelly babies

a few bits of biltong

enduren cramp tablets ( i chow every 30 - 45 minutes )

2 gu's

1 rehydrate sachet for in case

I was thinking the same. Reccon I'll just use my Camelbak.

Water tables are so plentiful it really is not neccessary

Edited by Stretch

07/11/15   Kaapsehoop (HM)               Crossmonster

01/11/15   Soweto (M)                           Jigghead

22/11/15   Tough One (32km)              Vinnydabutcher

31/01/16   Johnson Crane (M)             ScottC-M, Vinnydabutcher

14/02/16   Hillcrest (M)                          Stretch, Ricochet_Rabbit

??/02/16   Cape Peninsula (M)            Rpedro

28/02/16   Maritzburg (M)                      Stretch,Ricochet_Rabbit

??/03/16   Sunrise Monster (32km)     Vinnydabutcher

12/03/16   Om Die Dam (50km)

26/03/16   Two Oceans (56km)            Stretch, Rpedro, Vinnydabutcher, Ricochet_Rabbit

??/04/16   Bergville (52km)

01/05/16   Deloitte Challenge (M)            Ricochet_Rabbit

29/05/16    D - DAY !!!!

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

Trick one....when you sow you ASA number on your vest..sow it so it makes two "pockets" that you can stick a few things in

On a marathon i take:

a few jelly babies

a few bits of biltong

enduren cramp tablets ( i chow every 30 - 45 minutes )

2 gu's

1 rehydrate sachet for in case

Water tables are so plentiful it really is not neccessary

Trick one, is awesome - going to use that

What's trick 2?

07/11/15   Kaapsehoop (HM)                Crossmonster

01/11/15   Soweto (M)                         Jigghead

22/11/15   Tough One (32km)               Vinnydabutcher

12/12/15   Prison to Prison (M)

31/01/16   Johnson Crane (M)              ScottC-M, Vinnydabutcher

14/02/16   Hillcrest (M)                       Stretch, Ricochet_Rabbit

21/02/16   Cape Peninsula (M)            Rpedro

28/02/16   Maritzburg (M)                    Stretch, Ricochet_Rabbit

06/03/16   Sunrise Monster (32km)      Vinnydabutcher

26/03/16   Two Oceans (56km)             Stretch, Rpedro, 
                                                         Vinnydabutcher, Dennis(Sportsworld),

Ricochet_Rabbit

10/04/16   Bergville (52km)

01/05/16    Deloitte Challenge (M)         Ricochet_Rabbit

29/05/16    D - DAY !!!!

Edited by ScottC-M

I have never run anything further than 10km but have always desired to run the comrades. Since last year December i have been building up my runs slowly and will be doing my first half marathon in November. Plan is to qualify early next year. As i know its not ideal my main goal is just to finish the race in the allotted time frame. The following year will be dedicated to a specific time goal.

I am seriously battling with juggling the training though. As i have the Dome2Dome and 947 as definite riding goal this year still , combined with a possible Germiston 5150 Tri in between those i am doing sufferfest video training during the week and 10km runs on Saturday and Sunday. Will increase this mileage as time goes by and i get stronger.

Think after the 947 i will take it easy on the bike races till Comrades is done at least(If i enter and qualify)

How do you guys do it?

You need to focus on running. time on the legs is crucial. I ran my first comrades in 2014 and only ran a bit I was still cycling mainly I thought that just being fit was enough. Well I learnt the hard way the pain was excrutiating. Time on the legs running is key.

07/11/15   Kaapsehoop (HM)               Crossmonster

01/11/15   Soweto (M)                         Jigghead

31/01/16   Johnson Crane (M)              ScottC-M

??/02/16   Hillcrest (M)                       Stretch

??/02/16   Cape Peninsula (M)            Rpedro

??/03/16   Maritzburg (M)                    Stretch

26/03/16   Two Oceans (56km)             Stretch, Rpedro

??/04/16   Bergville (52km)

29/05/16    D - DAY !!!!

Seeing that its your first one I would consider building to Om Die Dam. In my opinion doing a ultra before the comrades is very important for the legs and the head!

Just make sure you are ready for the distance by then and then the Comrades will be much easier. I have only done 1 Comrades but it was on very low mileage(Less than 400k's in total) but Om die dam made a big difference in my adaptation process.

Will be there supporting the Wifey next year.

Might give it another go in 2017.

I am seriously considering doing my first next year, I want that medal and shirt badly. I did the 2 Oceans this year and really enjoyed it, so looking to maybe do both next year. My kniee en ITBs raak sommer seer as ek daaraan dink!

I'd like to do Comrades 2016 but not sure I have the miles under my belt. I've always said that if I do it I'd like to go for a Bill Rowan (so kudos to you sub-niners!). If I'm doing 40km a week now, can I build up in time for 2016 to manage a steady sub-nine?

Glock and Radman, are you guys in?

Anybody on here that is from Durbanville and going to do Comrades?

Rpedro & Sportsworld are you guys anywhere close to this?

...and I thought I was taking a "big step" when I entered for my first marathon yesterday! Good luck guys... will be following your progress here. :thumbup:

How did the Marathon go? Any temptation to join us on Comrades day?

I have gone through all the pages and found a few "quiet" folks whom have entered but not joined in the conversation as of late.

This coupled with the ever growing list of events made me decide to create a spreadsheet that everyone can edit much easier. Lets hope it works as this is my 1st attempt at such a thing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17c3Re7dGpkbBvFENrfn-hsTUxvdvxaYeoDArGQW1NIQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you guys can open it and edit it too.

Edited by ScottC-M

> Rpedro & Sportsworld are you guys anywhere close to this?

@ Firemeister - we're in Durbanville. You're more than welcome to pop in and ask some Comrades advice. Both my wife and I ran it. Here's our Store

How did the Marathon go? Any temptation to join us on Comrades day?

The answers are no and HECK NO!  :whistling:  I'm a running noob - I only started running last winter to try and keep me fit during winter. I must confess, I enjoy it now... esp trails.

Marathon is "only" (feels like time is racing towards that date...) coming on the 14th of Nov: the Winelands. I don't pick the easy ones, do I?! "Flat and fast" is hardly descriptive. Just aiming to finish, hoping to sneak in under 4:30, if that's not too ambitious for a first attempt. 

So I really enjoy reading all the tips and strategies here... 

> Rpedro & Sportsworld are you guys anywhere close to this?

@ Firemeister - we're in Durbanville. You're more than welcome to pop in and ask some Comrades advice. Both my wife and I ran it. Here's our Store

I'm in Oakdale Bellville. Close enough. I haven't been able to run this week at all. I think the 1 Tonner took a bit out of me. This weekend I'm doing Durbie Dash and on Sunday I'm doing a long ride with my DC team.

Next week I plan on getting some running in ;-)