ScottCM

Comrades has always been on my bucketlist.

I have been running on and off the last year due to a back injury (bike crash).

My question is how many months of constant running do you need before you can start a comrades program?

What would my first time target be over a 5km to be able to finish comrades?

Currently im folowing a 5 km program of 10 weeks.

This was my first Comrades so others might have better advice, but I also started new before this so can elaborate from that point of view...

If you start now and build consistently you could be OK. But you will have to be consistent. And one mistake everybody warns you about is to take it slow and don't be aggressive. You will get injured. This is something that is much more relevant to us cyclists as we tend to have decent fitness and think we can give it horns. Initially you can, but once the mileage adds up the risk for injury is much more. Running is different and hard on the body. So again. Build slow and consistent (and start now). Comfortable marathon by year end and you should be fine.

With good genes you can definately work towards a finish from now till next year. Maybe even better? Somebody that doesn't have the genes or a sports base to fall back on might find it more difficult.

Maybe the experienced guys and girls should elaborate or rectify, but this is based on my experience.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first Comrades so others might have better advice, but I also started new before this so can elaborate from that point of view...

If you start now and build consistently you could be OK. But you will have to be consistent. And one mistake everybody warns you about is to take it slow and don't be aggressive. You will get injured. This is something that is much more relevant to us cyclists as we tend to have decent fitness and think we can give it horns. Initially you can, but once the mileage adds up the risk for injury is much more. Running is different and hard on the body. So again. Build slow and consistent (and start now). Comfortable marathon by year end and you should be fine.

With good genes you can definately work towards a finish from now till next year. Maybe even better? Somebody that doesn't have the genes or a sports base to fall back on might find it more difficult.

Maybe the experienced guys and girls should elaborate or rectify, but this is based on my experience.

Thanks

My progression to comrades a few years back was:

Started running from scratch July to November

Cycle November to July

Run July to November more structured

Cycle November to sept

Run september to comrades

Edited by Stretch

So how many km's/week does one have t run to be classified as a "cyclist with a running problem"?

30.. 40...+?

So how many km's/week does one have t run to be classified as a "cyclist with a running problem"?

30.. 40...+?

You'll be fine, you're a runner.... 

30.. 40...+?

Good question....

My names Jack and I only have a small problem....

????

My progression to comrades a few years back was:

Started running from scratch July to November

Cycle November to July

Run July to November more structured

Cycle November to sept

Run september to comrades

I believe that if you can run a 'comfortable' marathon before the end of the year, you should be on track for Comrades the following year. Thats the way I've always done it - easy marathon to get the qualifier out of the way, and then a fast marathon in April/May to get proper seeding.

To answer Crapet, I think tou should work your training towards a specific marathon end of the year/Early January. If you can make that, Comrades may be possible

I believe that if you can run a 'comfortable' marathon before the end of the year, you should be on track for Comrades the following year. Thats the way I've always done it - easy marathon to get the qualifier out of the way, and then a fast marathon in April/May to get proper seeding.

To answer Crapet, I think tou should work your training towards a specific marathon end of the year/Early January. If you can make that, Comrades may be possible

Thanks

Comrades has always been on my bucketlist.

I have been running on and off the last year due to a back injury (bike crash).

My question is how many months of constant running do you need before you can start a comrades program?

What would my first time target be over a 5km to be able to finish comrades?

Currently im folowing a 5 km program of 10 weeks.

We are certainly no experts, but yes, we started the morning after comrades 2016 and we finished this year.   We started off on the Runners World 8 week novice half master program and from that we went on the Old Mutual/Norrie Williamson Marathon program, can't remember but think we did the sub 4;30 program.  That was paced till our qualifying marathon on 12/11.

I would still do it that way and get the qualification out of the way, no pressure in the new year and you can stick to your comrades program.   Qualifying batches is really not that big a issue, not if your going for a finish.   We went over the start in 6 minutes this year and the last guys in 10.   As Parry say, that is nothing, you can easily loose 20-30 minutes on route if you don't keep moving.

The rest of November we recovered and continued slowly and December we kept the clock ticking over and in January we started with also Old Mutual/Norrie Williamson's sub 11:30 program.    My wife had 2 weeks off with her itb injury before oceans and I had 2.5 weeks off before comrades with my itb.  This set our training back a bit and we ended up with 800km from Jan to May, but we were nicely rested. 

We had very limited time, so no extra strength training and nothing else, but we were very dedicated to our training program.   

I would say if you are really time limited and want to do it right, strength training etc wise, you could do your first ultra like oceans in your first year and comrades in your second year.   That way you might limit injuries, but that is the absolute max/safest.    One year is surely doable, even with limited time like we had.   But then too much things must not go wrong.  I would definitely not start in Oct/Nov/Dec from scratch. 

You want to include good strength training, especially glutes and core.  And also your back if that is already a weak spot.

I ran with my wife so our PB's are basically her PB's, but if you want some reference:

5: 27mins

10: 56mins

21: 2:04mins

Qualifying 42: 4:38

Oceans: 6:50

We went out slowly within ourselves, planned walks and planned them around hills and the rest we ran with our long slow pacings that we felt comfortable with and timed us to finish.   We decided beforehand the first year is to finish, not to try and be hero's and get carried away on a stretcher.   We are after all doing this to enjoy it.

Hope it helps

Net so! Lekka post Jackes and super informative to anyone reading and contemplating becoming a comrade!  :thumbup:

First hand experience FTW!

The only real advantage of early batches is that you are running from the start in comrades. B and C allow that.... From D you get some forced walks in the beginning

The only real advantage of early batches is that you are running from the start in comrades. B and C allow that.... From D you get some forced walks in the beginning

Agreed. Which I found helped with not going out to fast, especially our novices. You are full of adrenaline and the other runners pull you and often you go out to fast. Starting at the bunches from half to the back forces you to start slowly.

So i took an effort at the #mymile this weekend. Went for a little warm up and the heart rate was up quite a bit...I am guessing post comrades fatigue etc... Was feeling a bit nervous about the attempt but gave it a full go. By 1200m i could barely move my legs but persevered and managed to make it to the magical mile mark in 5:09....and literally collapsed on the floor! Was going for the sub 5..but hey..pretty happy with the effort.

Afterwards - went straight into head cold and allergies. Been sneezing non stop since then and the nose has been pouring...not for the faint hearted i say!

Edited by Stretch

After reading the last couple of posts, I've decided to also aim for next year's down run.

Silly thing is I pulled my calve last weekend on a 10k run, and I could only start walking on it again on Friday

I ran with my wife so our PB's are basically her PB's, but if you want some reference:

5: 27mins

10: 56mins

21: 2:04mins

Qualifying 42: 4:38

Oceans: 6:50

Thanks

During which months did you run your PBs?

Edited by Carpet