ScottCM

I signed up for the Northgate 10km on the 9th. It will be my first purely running race. 

Great MJ! It is our club's race, will be working on the day.

Sorry to hear that SeaBee! Hope you feel better soon. I think you just need proper rest until this thing gets sorted, I know it is very frustrating.

Very interesting! Well, I am doing a lot of things wrong according to this article.

I don't drink a recovery drink. Do you guys do it? Which product do you use?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that SeaBee! Hope you feel better soon. I think you just need proper rest until this thing gets sorted, I know it is very frustrating.

Very interesting! Well, I am doing a lot of things wrong according to this article.

after a 30+ training run I will have a coke, coffee and rehidrate

after 2oceans I had a game with rehidrate

after comrades i drink the energade they give you as well as the soup - and then when I am home a coke, coffee and rehidrate

If a longer run, mostly milk, or Steri Stumpy

Chocolate Milk works nicely as a recovery drink if you don't have a fancy fixed post race protein shake or whatever handy...

It's a nice mix of sugar (replenish your glycogen stores) and milk (protein to aid your muscle recovery)

I'm a huge Rehidrat fan - use them before, during and after events

Post workout I will eat some watermelon or an orange - usually within 30 minutes. Then will have a meal about an hour later with a good amount of protein. If I don't have a meal, will try have a  protein shake. Protein shakes don't sit too well with me as I usually feel a little queezy afterwards, so have not been good in this area. 

I really dont like eating after a run, but had the best burger and Ice cold beer in our Nedbank Club Tent at the Comrades. I really felt so much better after that burger. Will try it more this year after a long run.

I also can't stomach anything for at least an hour or two after a run. I will try the Super M and maybe a rehydrate after that.

Do you follow the same regime after cycling? I don't treat it the same as you feel pretty "normal" after you cycled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by Hacc

Good luck with that training and event. As its your first, don't try push for a specific time. Rather go slow and finish it as the achievement will give you confidence for all future running ambitions. 

One of my clubs ladies had run 18 comrades, at training she generally run 5.30 pace but has never gotten a sub 2 HM , in fact her best time is 2.13. When i asked why she does push herself more in races she said she is there to enjoy herself firstly and secondly she doesn't feel like sitting on the injury bench for extended periods of time just because she went out faster than she needed to.

I ran a half last Saturday by myself 'for fun' (it was raining and windy so didn't want to ride)...I got just over 2 hours running (theyre was a bit of extra tune for liking for taps for water), so i think with a bit training I won't hit the wall at 18km :)

Unfortunately I have a tyke in mind already

My two biggest training obstacles are drinking more water and getting more Zzzzzs. If I go to bed earlier than 12 I wake up earlier than my alarm clock which is just before 6. I need 3 nights of just less than 6 which gets me totally poked before I'll do a 7 and a half or 8 hour sleep. Testing a pre sleep relaxation routine to see if it will assist me in sleeping longer consistently.

As for drinking more water, just gonna have to suck it up and set a few reminders during the day at work. As often I just keep going without drinking enough and then end up at home after training trying to get my quota in later in the evening, which then keeps me awake all night running to the loo and back....

I've used rehydrate a couple of times, but not consistently...

I also can't stomach anything for at least an hour or two after a run. I will try the Super M and maybe a rehydrate after that.

Do you follow the same regime after cycling? I don't treat it the same as you feel pretty "normal" after you cycled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dont go saying that to loud on any other thread, you might just get nuked  :whistling:

My two biggest training obstacles are drinking more water and getting more Zzzzzs. If I go to bed earlier than 12 I wake up earlier than my alarm clock which is just before 6. I need 3 nights of just less than 6 which gets me totally poked before I'll do a 7 and a half or 8 hour sleep. Testing a pre sleep relaxation routine to see if it will assist me in sleeping longer consistently.

As for drinking more water, just gonna have to suck it up and set a few reminders during the day at work. As often I just keep going without drinking enough and then end up at home after training trying to get my quota in later in the evening, which then keeps me awake all night running to the loo and back....

I've used rehydrate a couple of times, but not consistently...

I read some research related to sleep patterns a while ago.  The recommendation was to rather adjust sleep in 30min increments per night, rather than making big jumps

Post Comrades I decided to have a short run this past Thursday and also attempted a run on Saturday. Saturday's run I ended up walking as my ITB started giving issues. This is the same ITB that was swollen after Comrades due to compensating for my sore groin. The body felt good but clearly things have not healed properly. It's frustrating as the motivation is there to start training but I know that more rest is needed

In fact the motivation to run was there before I even finished Comrades... probably because the event didn't go as I wanted - being forced into a walk for much of the second half.

after a 30+ training run I will have a coke, coffee and rehidrate

after 2oceans I had a game with rehidrate

after comrades i drink the energade they give you as well as the soup - and then when I am home a coke, coffee and rehidrate

After 20km plus I have a Choc Milk...

After Oceans I have a Choc Milk and Beer

After Comrades I have Lots of Beer.... :whistling:  gotta love the end of season race,..

I'm now in week3 of Couch to 5K.... Just like to put it out there...

After every run I drink some coffee... It's a pretty big accomplishment...

Well done, keep it up dude

I'm now in week3 of Couch to 5K.... Just like to put it out there...

After every run I drink some coffee... It's a pretty big accomplishment...

That was me 2 years ago. Keep at it. Last night I ran a comfy 21.1 as a training effort and I've averaged 3 - 4 runs of roughly 6 - 8 kays a week through that time.

Oh yes, CONGRATS and welcome to the running crew!

Edited by Tubehunter