ScottCM

We moved into our new house on the weekend, and had no time to run. I Forgot how much energy-sapping it is to unpack all the sh@t  you've stored up over the years. But I did enter our Annual Prawn Carnival 10km (Actually 9.5km) Night Trail run.

And I won the race :clap:  :clap:. But no Prize Money or Newspaper Interviews afterwards. :ph34r:  :thumbdown: . Only a cold beer and a goody-bag. 

Edited by Lexx

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question to previous Comrades finishers. How do you decide on wich training program to follow? Im a relatively new runner, started running on and off about 18months ago, but the last 6 months Ive started to run more structured and with less injuries.

Ive had a look at the coach Parry programmes and looking at the PBs he recommends for each medal I fit in to the Bill Rowan group, my PBs are almost exactly the same as those. But I haven't done a marathon before. Will it be stupid to prepare for a BR, and should I rather concentrate on a bronze, or just go for a finish the first time out?

post-734-0-02036100-1499062749_thumb.jpeg

I don't really follow a programme. Just put in the miles and add some speed work every week if I can.

My first one I ran a br without having run a marathon in my life before. My marathon pb then was 3:35... So definitely not over ambitious. If your head is right with those times you can do a br.

I also don't follow a program. I aim for x number of kms per week, which includes a long run, hill work, time trial and I want to add speedwork now. 

Do you belong to a club? It is always good to learn from fellow runners and train with fellow runners for your first Comrades. As mentioned before the mental prep is more important than the physical training. 

Spent more time on the bike this weekend as have the Jock Classique bike race on the 15th.  Did manage a 13km brick run after a 40km bike ride Saturday, with a 103km bike ride yesterday.

I also went for a ride yesterday. My first one for the year... :eek: Due to time constraints, I only did 44km and my bum was sore as hell. Don't think I will be able to sit on a bike for 100km as yet. My aim is for a 100km by the end of July. Feeling a bit stiff in weird places today, amazing how cycling is so different than running.

The plan for this week is some treadmill time and indoor cycling while watching TdF.    

I probably wont follow the programme, just need to decide on a direction and prepare mentally. Atm I don't belong to a club, but will obviously in the near future. Currently Im also just sticking to the basics. One long run (+-2h) a few tempo runs and TT every week. Doing about 40/50 a week. Will slowly increase that as I get more conditioned.

Just a quick question to previous Comrades finishers. How do you decide on wich training program to follow? Im a relatively new runner, started running on and off about 18months ago, but the last 6 months Ive started to run more structured and with less injuries.

Ive had a look at the coach Parry programmes and looking at the PBs he recommends for each medal I fit in to the Bill Rowan group, my PBs are almost exactly the same as those. But I haven't done a marathon before. Will it be stupid to prepare for a BR, and should I rather concentrate on a bronze, or just go for a finish the first time out?

If you're planning to do the training and can handle quite a high training/running load then definitely go for a BR...

I would suggest though running a marathon first though before deciding anything set in stone. Short distance speed doesn't always translate very well into the longer stuff. Up to 30km is 'easy' - it's after that, that $h*t gets real.

Just to give you an idea, I have run a 1:46 half marathon and my Comrades PB is 11:14 ( I could have pushed a bit harder sure, but I'm nowhere near BR territory although not a million miles of the half marker)

I don't put in nearly enough hours though, that's obviously the crucial thing - stepping it up year by year though as my girls get a bit older, but family first always for me. But yeah, you've gotta do the time.

I also went for a ride yesterday. My first one for the year... :eek: Due to time constraints, I only did 44km and my bum was sore as hell. Don't think I will be able to sit on a bike for 100km as yet. My aim is for a 100km by the end of July. Feeling a bit stiff in weird places today, amazing how cycling is so different than running.

The plan for this week is some treadmill time and indoor cycling while watching TdF.    

Well done for getting back on the bike!!

You also only did few miles Andrew! Double your mileage and your will knock hours off your time!

That's what I said  :blush:

I think  :ph34r:

Mudsimus

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably train for the BR, and as time progress, and you get a marathon or 2 in you can rethink your strategy for Comrades.  If you do it the other way round, and you end up doing well in marathons, it would be very difficult to jump your mileage later on

Did a track session on Friday and a swim and indoor cycle on Saturday. Had a 10km run planned for Sunday. Calves were cramping for the first 3km, then my plotted route was fenced off so I just turned around and ran home. Only managed 7km. Oh well. 

Mudsimus

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably train for the BR, and as time progress, and you get a marathon or 2 in you can rethink your strategy for Comrades.  If you do it the other way round, and you end up doing well in marathons, it would be very difficult to jump your mileage later on

Yeah, actually ignore my advice in hindsight, this is far more practical advice... (it's Monday and I hadn't had my second cup of coffee okay)

Sure a marathon will give you a better marker for Comrades, but it's a while til you will be ready for one so get training with a BR in mind so long.

Good luck, look forward to following your progress

Hey guys and Gals, maybe someone here has some insight to help me out.

So as mentioned in my IM70.3 post i cramped really early in the swim and struggled through to the end. initially i thought maybe it was the saltiness from the ocean or i just went out to fast or bad tapering or even poor diet the two weeks preceding the event. All which happened.

Now after reflecting a bit further, i can recall the 3 weeks leading up i was cramping during the day and evening while not training, in my legs, feet, hands, neck. Now two weeks post IM70.3 i'm still getting cramps even in my feet, although i haven't done anything except a 5km fun run/walk with a first timer (To get them into the sport - Run/Walk for Bibles on Sat) so it was very slow.  

I eat a chewable calcium and a replenish K (Potassium) tablet every night. Am i right in thinking this could be a non-event related issue? If so, Any idea what could be causing the cramps?

Hey guys and Gals, maybe someone here has some insight to help me out.

So as mentioned in my IM70.3 post i cramped really early in the swim and struggled through to the end. initially i thought maybe it was the saltiness from the ocean or i just went out to fast or bad tapering or even poor diet the two weeks preceding the event. All which happened.

Now after reflecting a bit further, i can recall the 3 weeks leading up i was cramping during the day and evening while not training, in my legs, feet, hands, neck. Now two weeks post IM70.3 i'm still getting cramps even in my feet, although i haven't done anything except a 5km fun run/walk with a first timer (To get them into the sport - Run/Walk for Bibles on Sat) so it was very slow.  

I eat a chewable calcium and a replenish K (Potassium) tablet every night. Am i right in thinking this could be a non-event related issue? If so, Any idea what could be causing the cramps?

Hmmm

Against popular believe, most exercise related cramping is not (typically) caused by electrolyte/salt loss, but due to over exertion.

Electrolyte related cramping is systemic (affect various parts of the body), and although uncommon during exercise, I have seen a guy at IM who cramped EVERYWHERE.

Your cramping seems to perhaps be linked to electrolytes - easiest way to find out might be to use Rehydrate sachets for a couple of days, and see if it makes a difference.  If not, start with a GP visit, it could be loads of different things

EDIT: PS - It could also be one of those things where they can't really pinpoint any cause, and it fades away over time

Edited by Pulse

Hmmm

Against popular believe, most exercise related cramping is not (typically) caused by electrolyte/salt loss, but due to over exertion.

Electrolyte related cramping is systemic (affect various parts of the body), and although uncommon during exercise, I have seen a guy at IM who cramped EVERYWHERE.

Your cramping seems to perhaps be linked to electrolytes - easiest way to find out might be to use Rehydrate sachets for a couple of days, and see if it makes a difference.  If not, start with a GP visit, it could be loads of different things

Agree with Pulse on all of this... Rehidrat I think is far better at replenishing electrolytes than tablets. You don't per chance supplement with creatine at all? Know a few people who've struggled with cramps as a result of using it to aid recovery.

Good luck, don't leave this long in case it's something more serious. And yes, training hard and not eating great is also not the best idea - but you knew that already  :D